The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

InvoluntarySlacker
He did close Guantanamo bay :dontknow:

A solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place...to be honest any ordinary politician who had half a brain would have looked good taking over after Bush and undoing all the problems he had set up.
We all know Mr Morgan deserved that!!! Obama did not deserve it, although I feel for him..I think this will do more harm to him...
Reply 22
Why would a person that does nothing deserve a prize? :p:
In comparison to George Bush- yes!

But no I don't think he deserves it....certainly an interesting move though- certainly puts the pressure on him to still be 'worthy' of the title in future..
To be honest, no. He barely deserves any of the praise he's gotten yet. I understand the (albeit very belated) significance of having a Black President - but apart from his skin colour, which is no achievement of his own, he has done nothing note worthy.

Just like any other politician. Making promises to gain votes, as soon as he gets what he wants he bluffs his way out of it.

It'll be interesting what he does this weekend with the (LGBT) National Equality March on DC.

He's kind of obliged now to promote peace and equality, but he seems to only be fully invested in such things when they don't conflict with his personal beliefs. Fair enough a lot of America are still painfully ignorant and religiously brainwashed, but it's up to HIM to change America - if someone held in such high regards speaks out against bigotry and points out it's unfair and completely wrong to impose your beliefs to deny fellow human beings equal human rights - think of the benefits. Sure he has major things on his plate and he's not been around for long, but it just goes to show that such a trivial (but incredibly important) decision should be just made so they can all move on.
I don't he got the prize for just the things he has done when he became president, he did do a lot of humanitarian work. He did give a lot of ethnic people hope I don't think many Caucasians will get how much he has changed black people's lives.
Reply 26
Playboy King
Take away the colour of his skin and he's no different than any of the other western world leaders, this is a complete joke... now after he's been awarded the prize I just dislike him totally.

I disagree Playboy King. The reason he was awarded the prize is because he's NOT like the other western leaders... or, to clarify, he's not like George Bush Jnr.

he has certainly made efforts to get negotiations and diplomacy going thoughout the arabic world, particularly between egypt and Israel/palastine. He has also made steps to improve US-Russian relations.

Sadly, it is true that the Nobel peace prize has become a political weapon - eg it was awarded to Carter in 2002 as a way of putting two fingers up at Bush, who was about to invade Iraq. Also notable for their absence in the Prizes conferral are Gandhi and Eleanor Roosevelt.

However, the Nobel Prize seeks to "change the world simply by its conferral" and to this extent, the awarding of Obama might make sense. It strengthens his image as the bringer of peace and this should help him - after all his pro UN pro negotiation anti-Bush image is what has allowed him to become more popular in the middle east already.

Latest

Trending

Trending