The Student Room Group

Just how "anal" are these medical schools?

Would medical schools esp. Dundee, Southampton and King's College London reject a candidate with a perfect academic record purely because of a low UKCAT score ? Does the UKCAT mean that much? Does a useless test play such a big part in the application process. A lot of stuff has been said about King's College and their UKCAT rules (only 650+), but do you really think they'd do that to a academically perfect candidate? So they would accept a candidates with lower academics (A few As and Bs all round) in favour of a very high UKCAT?
i put examples to make people understand but its not working tbh

Scroll to see replies

You said 'anal' :giggle:
Reply 2
Don'twannagetcybermerked.
Would medical schools esp. Dundee, Southampton and King's College London reject a candidate with a perfect academic record (perhaps 7A* GCSE, AAAAA AS Level, AAA A2 prediction) purely because of a low UKCAT score (600-630)? Does the UKCAT mean that much? Does a useless test play such a big part in the application process. A lot of stuff has been said about King's College and their UKCAT rules (only 650+), but do you really think they'd do that to a academically perfect candidate? So they would accept a candidates with lower academics (A few As and Bs all round) in favour of a very high UKCAT?

Excuse me? :colonhash:
LetoKynes
Excuse me? :colonhash:

What ??? :confused:
Reply 4
Would medical schools esp. Dundee, Southampton and King's College London reject a candidate with a perfect academic record (perhaps 7A* GCSE, AAAAA AS Level, AAA A2 prediction) purely because of a low UKCAT score (600-630)? Does the UKCAT mean that much? Does a useless test play such a big part in the application process. A lot of stuff has been said about King's College and their UKCAT rules (only 650+), but do you really think they'd do that to a academically perfect candidate? So they would accept a candidates with lower academics (A few As and Bs all round) in favour of a very high UKCAT?

you wouldn't be calling it useless if you hadn't got a **** score, would you :rolleyes:

what's your work experience situation like?
Reply 5
Soton do not place a big emphasis on the UKCAT, nor GCSEs. It's very much down to your PS etc.
Nfixlol
you wouldn't be calling it useless if you hadn't got a **** score, would you :rolleyes:

what's your work experience situation like?

I know :rolleyes:
erm its normal, whats that got to do with application?
kcl balance it out with ur gcse grades i think it was something like 660 or 6 a*, anyway i think they all eventually balance or in interview as king's say on the web they interviewed candidates with a range from a lowest grade of 513 in UKCAT
Reply 8
I know :rolleyes:
erm its normal, whats that got to do with application?

everything, it's a ridiculously important part of the selection criteria for medicine
Nfixlol
everything, it's a ridiculously important part of the selection criteria for medicine

but i thought gp and hospital would suffice? :eek:
but i thought gp and hospital would suffice? :eek:

Well that's work experience, isn't it? It should suffice.
Jonty99
Well that's work experience, isn't it? It should suffice.

exactly
nfixlol isn't even applying to medicine...
ok this thread has derailed from my original intention. Which was to see if medical schools would really reject an good candidate (academically) because of a bad ukcat?
They can afford to be anal as they're so heavily over-subscribed. You just have to choose wisely if you have not so good UKCAT scores. That's just the sad reality.
Yes they would!
Chunkeymonkey62
Yes they would!

But why?
The candidate is obviously intelligent.
But why?

:dontknow:

You got your answer. Why don't you ask the medical schools?
But why?

Because loads of people applying are intelligent. they have to reject intelligent people. Having said that, of course nobody on here can tell whether a UKCAT score between 600 and 630 would get you rejected.
Reply 18
ok this thread has derailed from my original intention. Which was to see if medical schools would really reject an good candidate (academically) because of a bad ukcat?

I rang KCL up and they said academics overshadow the UKCAT...so if you have a spotless academic record,but a not so good UKCAT,then you're in with a good chance.
Chunkeymonkey62
:dontknow:

You got your answer. Why don't you ask the medical schools?

Because they cleverly skirt the issue. Even on the phone.

Latest