The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Commuting from London to DMU

Just want to ask, if theres anyway I can commute to DMU from London without paying more than £75 a week?

By this, I mean by train - ie. any place where I will be able to get student discount/cheap train tickets that will allow me to go to DMU from London in the morning and come back to London in the evening?

And please, only serious answers.
(I was told to ask this -_-, anyone questioning on this idea, or saying stupid things will be ignored, so no point in saying any useless things)
Why would you want to commute from London? Wouldn't it be easier to live in student accommodation?

Anyway, cheapest is £73 with a railcard. You'd have to get a train around 7am or 7.25am if you had 9am lectures though.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Other than train, not really. Leicester isnt the most popular destination in the world so coaches arent all that regular and its not always a direct service anyway. Even the direct ones take ages.

Train is really your only option I should think and I cant imagine that being cheap.
Reply 3
steeler4life
Why would you want to commute from London? Wouldn't it be easier to live in student accommodation?

Anyway, cheapest is £73 with a railcard. You'd have to get a train around 7am or 7.25am if you had 9am lectures though.

Thanks for the reply.
Like I said, I was asked to ask this. It's not something I want to do.
Seems like commuting from London is not easy. I understand its kinda absurd - especially travelling there by train every morning will tire me out quickly. I'm currently at a house though. But yeah, details don't matter.
Thanks again.

And thanks timetokill for your reply also.
Reply 4
It all depends on which part of London you live in I would say. If you live near Kings Cross Station then it will be cheaper and quicker, however, if you don't then you have to consider the extra expense and time maybe through trains or buses, to get to this station before getting on the train to DMU. It may work out cheaper than accomodation there but I think you will be feeling terrible at the end of the day!
Reply 5
Biggsx
It all depends on which part of London you live in I would say. If you live near Kings Cross Station then it will be cheaper and quicker, however, if you don't then you have to consider the extra expense and time maybe through trains or buses, to get to this station before getting on the train to DMU. It may work out cheaper than accomodation there but I think you will be feeling terrible at the end of the day!

I'm from East - well more north East Walthamstow/Leyton side.
But yeah I know what you mean, that's what I thought. But had to ask still lol. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 6
MrStick
But yeah I know what you mean, that's what I thought. But had to ask still lol. Thanks for the reply :smile:

From December they're introducing the high speed service between St Pancras and Stratford - taking something like 6/7 mins. However that wouldn't be cheap as well, and I just cant see it as costing less than cheap accomodation. I'm currently paying £68 a week (although at Leicester uni) so yeah :smile:
MrStick

I go to school in Bromley, Kent and my Hist/Pol lecturer lives in the Leyton area.

The commuting makes me :eek:
Reply 8
Uh, you're not going to be able to do that for that much.

To put it simply, It's £32 for a return. A 1 week railcard is £200, a year is over £7000.

But, other than that logistically its a nightmare to commute that much for a degree. I've seen someone try to commute just from leics to birmingham and he turned into a zombie in the first month. Its knackering.

But, if you can somehow magic up the ability to do it, it's quite easy to get from Leicester station to DMU. Easier to get to Leicester uni, but it's less than a 10 min walk :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending