The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
:lolwut: I don't think so, never heard of it.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
It could be that if you use your purple cards at certain times on a wednesday you get free bus travel to town and back? Then you could shop at Sainsburys?
Yeahhh that's it I think.
Me & my flatmates tried to get it last week, but we missed it being free on the way there because you have to get it to town before 2pm and have to get it back before 5pm (with your purple card)
Free bus to sainsbury's every wednesday. leaves the underpass at 11, 12, 1, not sure baout after that, and comes back at 25 to the hour. It will have 'private hire' or 'sainsubrys bus' on the destination.
Reply 5
I think I read that you can get on any bus to town free with your purple card between 11am and 2pm and then back between 2pm and 5pm. Or something like that.

Last week I defo got on two free buses with my purplecard, so yeah. It still went round all the "estates", picked up non-uni. people and stuff - it wasn't direct from the underpass to Sainsbury's.

When I went to come back from the bus station in town I just got on any bus (happened to be the SW Campus one) and showed my purple card - so that made me think any bus between those times is free...

:smile:
Reply 6
BJP
I think I read that you can get on any bus to town free with your purple card between 11am and 2pm and then back between 2pm and 5pm. Or something like that.

Last week I defo got on two free buses with my purplecard, so yeah. It still went round all the "estates", picked up non-uni. people and stuff - it wasn't direct from the underpass to Sainsbury's.

When I went to come back from the bus station in town I just got on any bus (happened to be the SW Campus one) and showed my purple card - so that made me think any bus between those times is free...

:smile:

Yep, that's how I understood it to be too. Apparently the buses don't even say Sainsburys on them - you can just hop on anyway, between those times :smile:
There is a sainsubury's bus, whcih is completely separate from this purplecard free bus thing... it ha been running for years, whereas the purplecard thing is new. I'm feeling a little mistrustful of it- I can imagine me getting on a bus, trying to show my purplecard, and being looked at like an idiot. I dont know if it was just for the first week, or if it is every wednesday... if its every wednesday, it's very good, and I might start using it instead of the saisbury's one, just for the convenience of getting any bus.
I really wish the uni would put more information out about things like that. Such as in the email they send out every week. Would help us know what is going on lol!
Well, there's that LUSU squeak thing... cant say that there's ever much of interest in there though. But yes, I wish that someone knew if this purplecard bus is every week
Teao the Cat
Well, there's that LUSU squeak thing... cant say that there's ever much of interest in there though. But yes, I wish that someone knew if this purplecard bus is every week

I wonder if I email the squeak thing if they could tell us... :smile:
Reply 11
It would certainly help if we had a bit more information about it. I'm in my 3rd year now and haven't had a single email or notice about the free Sainsbury's/Purple card bus' since I started uni..
No, they never had.... Sainsbury's were at freshers fair on 2007, handing out timetables, but they haven't been there since... thats the only reason I know about it. It's mostly word of mouth, I think.... it's almost always full, so must work.
Reply 13
Some guys tried to get on a normal bus at SW yesterday between those times with just a purple card and the driver said they didn't accept them...
bestie
Some guys tried to get on a normal bus at SW yesterday between those times with just a purple card and the driver said they didn't accept them...

It seems like an odd system. It wasn't in operation last year and if it is in operation this year, it hasn't been well publicised. I'd stick to going to the underpass and checking for a bus with "Sainsbury's" or "Private Hire" down there on the hour [on Wednesdays] for now.

I wonder if the Stagecoach people located at the underpass could tell us - they are there every weekday [maybe weekends too] for the Michaelmas term so they might know something. :smile:
On a random google search and a look at the advert that LUSU put out for the purplecard bus, it looks like it was part of a promotional thing that they did called 'purple wednesday' where lots of places in town were offering purplecard discounts too...
Reply 16
I went yesterday, and yep, there is definitely a bus that says 'Sainsburys - Free Bus' on it, and you have to wait for that one in order to qualify for the free bus...a purple card will not get you a free ride generally on Wednesdays :s-smilie:

I think they run every hour from the Underpass at until 2 o'clock, and then on the way back, apparently they go from the back of Sainsbury's at every 40 minutes past (20 minutes to) the hour :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending