The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
travel_allaround
Anyone intending to take up a part time job while studying for the SLT course? Or is the course going to be really intense...

I was intending to take up a part time job while studying... any advice?

hey you should be fine getting a part time job, i've found they talked up the intensiveness of the course. first year is pretty simialr to most other degrees. quite a few people on my course have part time jobs and cope fone
Reply 1121
travel_allaround
Anyone intending to take up a part time job while studying for the SLT course? Or is the course going to be really intense...

if you're happy working weekends or evenings then you should be fine during first year. if your course is anything like mine (DMU) then its not really possible to work during the day in the week as the timetable changes a lot week to week unless you find something really flexible.

if you do get a job just make sure you stay on top of assignments etc & there shouldnt be a problem!
travel_allaround

I don't intend to get a part time job as I really want to devote myself to the course and stay on top of things.

I'm really lucky though, as my parents understand how busy I'll be and are willing to give me a weekly allowance if my NHS bursary and student loan don't cover everything.
Reply 1123
travel_allaround

I have just finshed my degree and I honestly could not have worked full time along with the course as it was very intense especially in your final year
It is possible as a few people have done so but many of the lecturers at uni would not reccomend it
Reply 1124
MUMof2
Hey thanx for the reply, i'm so anxious as i'm going back 2 education after so many years, could u plz tell me a bit more about the group task. Also about the written task which im dreading what does that include. Thanx again

the group task was for us to talk about what items you would throw out a boat if you were going to a desert island.
They look for interaction with others and problem solving mainly
Then the written was what is the influence of media on communication or something?
I can not honestly remember all the details as it was over 3 years ago now and I am not sure whether it has changed at all
Hope that helps thats how my interview was and I thought I messed up but I got in
Good luck
Reply 1125
MUMof2
Hey thanx for the reply, i'm so anxious as i'm going back 2 education after so many years, could u plz tell me a bit more about the group task. Also about the written task which im dreading what does that include. Thanx again

Hey, are you talking about Birmingham City University? It's just a written interview apparently, so you'll be fine :smile: My friend did it a couple of weeks ago and got offered a place.

travel_allaround

I was thinking about joining one of those agencies, where they offer waitressing jobs for functions and things and you can choose the ones you want. That way you can work when you want and not have to worry about exam period, coursework and things! I'm pretty sure thats how it works anyway lol, I was going to look into it when I got there as im guessing there would be a few jobs around the Christmas period :smile:
Thanks guys for the reply. Guess I'll wait till I'm settled into the course before I decide if I should get a part time job.

Weekend jobs sound like a good idea though. Or maybe.. Work at McDonalds.
travel_allaround
Thanks guys for the reply. Guess I'll wait till I'm settled into the course before I decide if I should get a part time job.

Weekend jobs sound like a good idea though. Or maybe.. Work at McDonalds.

At least if you work at McDonalds you might get free food and free cartons/cups when the Monopoly game comes around again!
PhoenixFortune
At least if you work at McDonalds you might get free food and free cartons/cups when the Monopoly game comes around again!

You will get free food in the McDonalds near Marjon by the way - you just have to show your Marjon library card and you get 1 item for free with your meal :biggrin:
Bethaniee
You will get free food in the McDonalds near Marjon by the way - you just have to show your Marjon library card and you get 1 item for free with your meal :biggrin:

No! Really? :biggrin:
PhoenixFortune
No! Really? :biggrin:

Yep! It's soo the reason why I chose Marjon for SLT :P
Reading people - I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED BY STENTON :biggrin: has anyone else heard? just got to get the grades now..
My gap year's almost over and I'm still not 100% sure if I should go to King's in September or reapply for speech and language therapy. :frown:
MDEH8176
My gap year's almost over and I'm still not 100% sure if I should go to King's in September or reapply for speech and language therapy. :frown:

Which subject would you feel the most comfortable doing for 3/4 years?

Would you feel happy doing SLT as it is so specific?

Out of interest, where in Somerset are you from? :smile:
PhoenixFortune
Which subject would you feel the most comfortable doing for 3/4 years?

Out of interest, where in Somerset are you from? :smile:

I'm from Yeovil. :smile:

I enjoy language and linguistics so I would be happy to study that at King's. Most SLT courses seem to combine elements of linguistics, psychology, social science and biomedical science. My weakest area would definitely be the science side. From an academic perspective I suppose I would be happy on both courses.

That's my main concern; I'm still not sure if I would like to go into SLT. I can imagine there would be other jobs I could enter upon graduation if I changed my mind. A lot of 'general' graduate jobs seem to ask applicants to be educated to undergraduate level (2:1) without a preference for a particular subject. I am obviously really interested in SLT, but I'm just worried that I'll go for it and then realise it isn't for me. I need to organise some work experience, but I've had no luck so far. Where did you find work considering we're both fairly local to each other? I've only really looked into volunteering at Yeovil Hospital...
MDEH8176
I'm from Yeovil. :smile:

I enjoy language and linguistics so I would be happy to study that at King's. Most SLT courses seem to combine elements of linguistics, psychology, social science and biomedical science. My weakest area would definitely be the science side. From an academic perspective I suppose I would be happy on both courses.

That's my main concern; I'm still not sure if I would like to go into SLT. I can imagine there would be other jobs I could enter upon graduation if I changed my mind. A lot of 'general' graduate jobs seem to ask applicants to be educated to undergraduate level (2:1) without a preference for a particular subject. I am obviously really interested in SLT, but I'm just worried that I'll go for it and then realise it isn't for me. I need to organise some work experience, but I've had no luck so far. Where did you find work considering we're both fairly local to each other? I've only really looked into volunteering at Yeovil Hospital...

I'm from Wells, so not too far away. :smile:

Work experience-wise, I wrote a letter to the Head of SLT in Wells and asked if I could have any experience with adult and paediatric SLTs and I was lucky enough to get some with a SLT in a school and one in West Mendip Hospital. I did email the Head of SLT at the three big Bristol hospitals, but she was a bit disorganised so I don't think that's going to happen now. Apart from hospitals, you could try any related charities that are based in South Somerset and they might have an allocated SLT that you could shadow. Special schools may also have a SLT based there so that's worth a try too.

After any work experience you get, if you still want to do SLT later on, there's always the postgraduate route.
Reply 1136
bumblebee111191
Reading people - I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED BY STENTON :biggrin: has anyone else heard? just got to get the grades now..

Ooh exciting! I haven't heard yet. Did they email you?

I am really hoping I get Stenton or Mackinder. Really like the idea of having my own bathroom! hehe!
Well done on Stenton, looks gorgeous and so close to sooo many other halls! and a nice corner of the campus, near the sports park! I would recommend trying to work part time or on a bank basis alongside your degree if you can. Something related to SLT is really beneficial. I am a support worker for people with learning disabilities and visual impairments, as well as teaching my own groups art and textiles and work in a bar. Alot of my friends work in shops such as Gap and as waitresses. At reading there are are alot of opportunities to work and do paid psychology studies. Try and save up alot over the summer. Also at Reading you get loads of emails of events work like newbury races, ascot and henley regatta. so loads of chances to do one off kind of work.
Reply 1138
Kaaat
Hey, are you talking about Birmingham City University? It's just a written interview apparently, so you'll be fine :smile: My friend did it a couple of weeks ago and got offered a place.

Hey thanx alot for your reply, Do u know what the ritten interview was like. I m going back to education after 5 years after having two kids, very nervous feel as though ive forgotten so much. it'l be a great help.
Reply 1139
[QUOTE='[Vicki]']the group task was for us to talk about what items you would throw out a boat if you were going to a desert island.
They look for interaction with others and problem solving mainly
Then the written was what is the influence of media on communication or something?
I can not honestly remember all the details as it was over 3 years ago now and I am not sure whether it has changed at all
Hope that helps thats how my interview was and I thought I messed up but I got in
Good luck
Hey thanx 4 that. U have really given me an idea what to expect thanx again:smile:

Latest