The Student Room Group

AQA ICT5 Revision, help thread

Hey all use this thread to post any problems you have encountered in revision etc, anything else which might help when taking ICT5.

I'll start with a problem I encountered :p:

Does anybody know a simple definition of normalisation and an example?

According to the mark scheme
'Normalisation is the process of breaking down complex data structures into simpler forms'
Heathcote
'Normalisation is a process used to come up with the best possible design for a relational database'

E.G. anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do we have to know the three stages or normalisation and be able to apply them in the exam?

As for an example, im not really sure... has the mark scheme got an example?

And by ICT do you mean computing?
Reply 2
lawrence4
Hey all use this thread to post any problems you have encountered in revision etc, anything else which might help when taking ICT5.

'Normalisation is the process of breaking down complex data structures into simpler forms'
Heathcote
'Normalisation is a process used to come up with the best possible design for a relational database'

E.G. anyone?

I done this exam in January, and normalisation came up. If you are lucky it won't come up again in june but all I learnt for normalisation examples was:

1NF removes repeating data in a table (database)
2NF removes partial key dependencies
3NF removes non key dependencies.
Reply 3
No I mean ICT, I've started doing past papers and it's the first Q on January 03, there is no e.g. in the mark scheme, it just says

Q
'A successful relational database will have undergone normalistion, describe what is meant by normaliastion (2 marks)

Mark Scheme
But if you put ^ you only get 1 mark! The other is for expansion or example.

I guess if you explained each NF (1,2,3) you would get 2/2?
Reply 4
Definitely go with the definition in the Mark Scheme, for your expansion mark, or if it says explain/describe the process of normalisation:

1NF - remove repeating groups
2NF - remove partial key dependencies
3NF - remove non-key dependencies

That's it. You'll never be asked to normalise given data in your exam, although you may have done it in your coursework (there's simply too many possibilities)

Adam

lawrence4

Heathcote

E.G. anyone?
Reply 5
Is Information Technology Policy and Information Management Policy the same thing?
Reply 6
Shakeel
Is Information Technology Policy and Information Management Policy the same thing?

Good Q lol, I think there is, but not 100% percent.... see these definitions.

The definition seems to be (heathcote) 'An infomation management policy help's manage computing resources in an effective and profitable way, and maximise benefits of information' :confused:

(Gardner) 'Broadly speaking, there are two models for developing an ICT policy, centralised and decentralised'

Centralised = ICT Department takes responsibility for development of all ICT systesms in organisaion, regardless of which area it is. All decisions about purchasing, development, training etc. go thru the centralised department. It therefore determines the overall policy of the organisation.

Decentralised = Each functional area makes its own decisions about what systems to develop and/or aquire. If accounting for example, needed a new application it would evaluate what was on the market and make a decision based on its own criteria.

Decentralised model is rare.
Reply 7
Shakeel

Do we need to know both?????? We only did the information management policy!! :eek:
Reply 8
lawrence4
No I mean ICT, I've started doing past papers and it's the first Q on January 03, there is no e.g. in the mark scheme, it just says

Q
'A successful relational database will have undergone normalistion, describe what is meant by normaliastion (2 marks)

Mark Scheme
But if you put ^ you only get 1 mark! The other is for expansion or example.

I guess if you explained each NF (1,2,3) you would get 2/2?

For the example I'd put the proccess of 1stNF 2ndNF 3rdNF, then say breaking down a complext flat file database into a more effiecient relational database. Not really sure whether that would be a valid examle or not though.
Reply 9
Did anyone do or see the January 05 paper? I really want to know what the 20 mark question was on, and other main areas that were tested. Its not on the AQA website for a few months yet though
Reply 10
emma155
Did anyone do or see the January 05 paper? I really want to know what the 20 mark question was on, and other main areas that were tested. Its not on the AQA website for a few months yet though

Is this for ICT05? I done the exam in Jan and the essay question (I think) was on backing up information. You had to write up why a company needs a backup plan, and what you need in it.
Reply 11
Wrinkles
Is this for ICT05? I done the exam in Jan and the essay question (I think) was on backing up information. You had to write up why a company needs a backup plan, and what you need in it.

Yes thanks, I did mean ICT5. Backup doesn't sound too bad as an essay question, I'm hoping that the essay question on Friday will be about software solutions, advantages, and disadvantages of each, but thats come up a few times already, so it probably won't.
Reply 12
Does anybody know what you call it when you have a help function on a program and when you click on it, it gives you help specific to what you are doing on the program at the time?
Hey the AQA Specification for UNIT 5 states

"Understand that hardware and software exists which allow packages to run on different platforms"

Theres emulators for software, but what hardware exists to alow this?...
Reply 14
krunalmeister

"Understand that hardware and software exists which allow packages to run on different platforms"

Didn't think there was any hardware emulators :confused:
:mad: i hate the policy part of ICT 5 its so vague and i cant remember anything on it!!!

could someone please write the key point that i need to learn

krunalmeister

i dont think there are hardware emulators, its just you can have any kind of hardware platform and the emulator will allow the software to be used on it, regardless what hardware it is.
Reply 17
The policy part is that like procedures adopted to discourage breaches of security?
If so then...
Having usernames and passwords with users allowed restricted access to the network e.g. In a DRs surgery the receptionist would not have access to patients diagnosis. This is appropriate as the receptionist does not ntted to know this information, this is relatively easy to implement.

Procedures for the use of removable media e.g. by not allowing/ having media facilities on computers. This is appropriate say in a DRs surgery for a receptionist as he/she has no need to take any computer work home with them and the information on the computer may be confidential.
Reply 18
Hey all I'm stuck again lol.

A travel company is reviewing the current disaster recovery plan for its computer-based booking system. Bookings come into the company by various means, including via post, over the telephone and via the Internet.

State, with a different reason for each one, three possible weak points in the booking system (6 marks)

In the Mark Scheme it says one mark is for what the weak point is for, one mark is for why it is a weak point.

Physical Issues =
Document Issues =
Hardware Issues =
Communications Issues =
Software Issues =
Data Transfer =

I don't know what they are looking for as to why these are weak issues. It doesn't say in Mark Scheme, anyone know?
Reply 19
only started revisin properly 4 this exam 2day at around 7pm after my psychology exam. thinkin it's pretty easy so far. i think this exam shud fingers crossed be a good 1. and its my last exam. YAY!

Latest

Trending

Trending