The Student Room Group

Best university to study French? And maybe another language?

I'm currently studying French, History, Media Studies and a BTEC in Performing Arts at Sixth form so when I get round to applying next year- it'll be for 2011 entry...

In my GCSEs I got A*A*AAAAAAABB, and my teachers have predicted me as AAADistinction already (I know it's early in the year, but they're confident....just need to put the work in now!)

I'm hoping studying Media and Drama won't hold be back because I've got two well thought-of subjects in there too. I don't want to apply to Oxbridge, they wouldn't accept me because of my options anyway ;D

So, any suggestions?

I'm also toying with studying an another language as part of joint honours as I'm teaching myself Arabic in my spare time :smile: so basically where is the best language department?
Reply 1
There isn't a 'best languages department' as such. Have a look at the Times league table (both overall and for French), which isn't the Bible that most TSR members would have you believe, but does give a good indication as to how a university is regarded and therefore how strong its language department is likely to be.

Remember, language degrees vary in what you cover (history, culture, politics, economics, literature...as well as the language itself!). For example, if you hate literature, you're not going to do well at Oxford, and some courses are more flexible than others (UCL let you choose which 'track' you take and Sheffield in particular have a very wide range of modules). Another thing to consider is the amount of contact time, and whether you learn best independently or with a teacher.

There is a very useful thread about choosing your language degree which also recommends some universities to study languages at (although I'd like to add Portsmouth, rated 7th by the Times for French, to the list).

I'm only an applicant like you (see sig for choices), but I have looked at a fair few courses so if you have any questions, although a current student will be able to answer better, I'll give it a shot. Good luck in your application :smile:

Edit: And actually your options don't rule you out for Oxbridge!
Reply 2
xmarilynx
There isn't a 'best languages department' as such. Have a look at the Times league table (both overall and for French), which isn't the Bible that most TSR members would have you believe, but does give a good indication as to how a university is regarded and therefore how strong its language department is likely to be.

Remember, language degrees vary in what you cover (history, culture, politics, economics, literature...as well as the language itself!). For example, if you hate literature, you're not going to do well at Oxford, and some courses are more flexible than others (UCL let you choose which 'track' you take and Sheffield in particular have a very wide range of modules). Another thing to consider is the amount of contact time, and whether you learn best independently or with a teacher.

There is a very useful thread about choosing your language degree which also recommends some universities to study languages at (although I'd like to add Portsmouth, rated 7th by the Times for French, to the list).

I'm only an applicant like you (see sig for choices), but I have looked at a fair few courses so if you have any questions, although a current student will be able to answer better, I'll give it a shot. Good luck in your application :smile:

Edit: And actually your options don't rule you out for Oxbridge!

My school encouraged me to go, but I don't think they'll be a fan of BTEC Performing Arts and Media Studies.....eek.

Thanks for your info! x
Reply 3
OhKitty
My school encouraged me to go, but I don't think they'll be a fan of BTEC Performing Arts and Media Studies.....eek.

Thanks for your info! x

Oxford don't specify any subjects, and for Cambridge so long as you have two academic subjects (which you do) it's all good.

Anytime :smile:
Reply 4
University of Paris? :dontknow:
Reply 5
xmarilynx
Oxford don't specify any subjects, and for Cambridge so long as you have two academic subjects (which you do) it's all good.

Anytime :smile:

Hm, but it does seem unlikely when the rest of 'TEAM OXBRIDGE' (as we're called at our college, the people doing 5 subjects and who are encouraged to go) are studying English Lit, Lang, Maths, Biology and History....pahahaha.
Reply 6
Craig_D
University of Paris? :dontknow:

Actually, University of London in Paris would be well worth a look if the OP wants to do sole French :yes:

OhKitty
Hm, but it does seem unlikely when the rest of 'TEAM OXBRIDGE' (as we're called at our college, the people doing 5 subjects and who are encouraged to go) are studying English Lit, Lang, Maths, Biology and History....pahahaha.

There's no advantage in doing 5 subjects and Eng Lang/Lit combination isn't well looked upon :p:

I'd say if you do well at AS and like one of the courses at Oxford/Cambridge go for it. They're not for everybody, but don't automatically discount it or let your teachers put you off if it's what you want . Languages aren't that competitive either (1 in 2 people get an offer for single honours at Oxford :wink:).
Reply 7
xmarilynx
Actually, University of London in Paris would be well worth a look if the OP wants to do sole French :yes:

There's no advantage in doing 5 subjects and Eng Lang/Lit combination isn't well looked upon :p:

I'd say if you do well at AS and like one of the courses at Oxford/Cambridge go for it. They're not for everybody, but don't automatically discount it or let your teachers put you off if it's what you want . Languages aren't that competitive either (1 in 2 people get an offer for single honours at Oxford :wink:).

I was hoping to study Arabic and French at Cambridge before I was told I didn't have a chance cos of my options.
Reply 8
You are predicted 3A's. Any.
Reply 9
the one's in my sig :P

I hope!
Reply 10
annab1684
the one's in my sig :P

I hope!

I was thinking Durham- have you been on an open day or anything? Whats it like?
OhKitty
I was thinking Durham- have you been on an open day or anything? Whats it like?

Durham's a lovely place, it's quite small though.. depends whether you like that sort of thing :smile:
I love the collegiate idea too. The course is quite traditional though, again, depends what you're after.
I would say it's worth e-mailing round some unis and checking what they think about your subjects though. I mean, it ought to be fine, but if it comes to it and they have far too many applicants all with high grades, then it could be a deciding factor. :dontknow:
Reply 13
I've only been here a week and a bit, but what I've done so far in the French department has been really interesting and the staff have got just the right balance of being friendly whilst being on top of things and professional whilst actually being interesting (well, besides my essay tutor...but I can't hold that against her because essays are always boring - she gave me a tissue when I was all sniffy, haha). Go Warwick :p: The main languages they do for degrees are French, Italian and German...not sure if they do minors in Spanish too. They also have the Language Centre with provision to learn all kinds of other languages, with plenty of student societies to practise spoken whatever at the same time as meet a whole bunch of interesting people. And I love campus. The admissions tutor I spoke to said he looked for essay subjects, but I got in with French, Physics and Chemistry...so I have no reason to think they wouldn't like your subjects being as History is like ESSAYESSAYESSAY! Good luck anyway with whatever you pick :smile: I do know that Bristol is super traditional and literature obsessed, if that's one of your ideas, just to throw that in there!
I think Ubridge (UCL & Cambridge) is not bad, however its competitive! Soas is really good as well has loads of languages and quite good combinations of joint honours..
Reply 15
Birrrrrmingham :p: totally biased I know. But it is amazing. French here is fantastic, ignore the league tables! PM if you like :smile:
Reading is good!
georgia
I do know that Bristol is super traditional and literature obsessed, if that's one of your ideas, just to throw that in there!

Really? How do you know?

That's not the impression I got at all from their French department's website, which states that after your first year you have a range of options which you can choose according to your own interests. They give Business French, Comic Drama, French Renaissance and French cinema, amongst other non-literary options, as examples.
Reply 18
xmarilynx
Really? How do you know?

That's not the impression I got at all from their French department's website, which states that after your first year you have a range of options which you can choose according to your own interests. They give Business French, Comic Drama, French Renaissance and French cinema, amongst other non-literary options, as examples.

An unofficial site made by their union. Can't remember specifics now - it just struck me as being the case when I looked at my own options.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing...(although I do class Comic Drama and French Cinema as coming under literary options since you do the same kind of analysis)...just something the OP may want to look into depending on their interests.

Latest

Trending

Trending