The Student Room Group

Confusion with 'Schools/Education' part of UCAS application.

Hello, this is just a straightforward 'how should I do this?' question, help is much appreciated :smile:.

I've put in to re-sit four modules at my old school, but I am studying for these exams at a different school elsewhere.

The likelihood is (for logistical reasons) that I will sit the exams at my old school as they are aware that it'd be more difficult if we switched the centre number to my place of study.

Under the Education bit, at the moment it looks like this:

Spoiler

What I'm wondering is, do I need to declare my other school on there as well? And if so, should it just look like the top bit of my old school, with whatever is left pending?
So your retaking all modules there and will come out with the full a-level yes?

Well in that case if you have studied the full AS/A2 at your previous school, taken and are retaking all exams to gain a full qualification (be it AS or A2) then you only need to declare that you took it at that school. Its only where you take the exams and what centre number it is certifcated to that counts I think :smile:
Not full A-levels no, I'm resitting two modules from two separate subjects as I'm keeping my coursework mark (you obviously can't see that from the snapshot I showed :smile:).

But I'm studying solely for it at the new place, so you reckon I don't NEED to declare it or that I shouldn't?

And sounds odd, but I'm not sure if it would (or how) it might affect my application, as it's a very good school that I'm at now. It could potentially give me an advantage, but also a,socio-economically speaking, disadvantage, especially for universities with Access quotas etc.
Also, the fact that I'm willing to make a change and pay for better teaching quality could make me seem more committed? I don't know, I may be overthinking this.

But I'm working hard at this place, and it just seems a bit odd not to mention it :s-smilie:.
I'm not sure. I would think that coz you took the exams at your old centre, it would be assumed that you studied there anyway, and if you didn't take the exams there, then the centre number will be wrong. And if required too, universities will not be able to trace back your results as they must obviously use it as informationm otherwise it would not be present on the application.

Also, something I noticed. I'm assuming that your are retaking Eng Lit and History? In that case you will need to leave those modules as 'pending' as the grades may go up, and have not been certified. So maybe just leave it as pending and leave it as the centre you are taking the exams at.

At the end of the day I think its the grades they are more interested in, rather than the place that you are studying for the exams.
Hmm, it's certainly confusing.

Oh and the grades are pending in the top one?
The bit with just Eng Lit and History are left pending, it's just further down I have listed my full A-levels as they stand, English Lit, Politics and History.

I need to show somewhere what grades I originally got surely? I have the correct date listed but having the re-sit bit above it shows they aren't certificated right?
Alexandra1234567
Hmm, it's certainly confusing.

Oh and the grades are pending in the top one?
The bit with just Eng Lit and History are left pending, it's just further down I have listed my full A-levels as they stand, English Lit, Politics and History.

I need to show somewhere what grades I originally got surely? I have the correct date listed but having the re-sit bit above it shows they aren't certificated right?

Ok, so the grades seen on the picture are the grades before the retakes yes? And: am i right in saying that this your previous school, of which you will be doing your retakes?
[QUOTE="Alexandra1234567"]Hello, this is just a straightforward 'how should I do this?' question, help is much appreciated :smile:.

I've put in to re-sit four modules at my old school, but I am studying for these exams at a different school elsewhere.

The likelihood is (for logistical reasons) that I will sit the exams at my old school as they are aware that it'd be more difficult if we switched the centre number to my place of study.

Under the Education bit, at the moment it looks like this:

Spoiler

What I'm wondering is, do I need to declare my other school on there as well? And if so, should it just look like the top bit of my old school, with whatever is left pending?[/QUOTE

Put the modules where you are doing them , as they will trace your grades by the centre number, not your school number
and have your referree MENTION your situation in your reference so Unis will understand

solved
Loz17
Ok, so the grades seen on the picture are the grades before the retakes yes? And: am i right in saying that this your previous school, of which you will be doing your retakes?

Yeah, it goes pretty much like this:

Old School:

English Literature A PENDING 01/2010
History PENDING 01/2010

Then

Old School:

English Literature A B 06/2009
Government and Politics A 06/2009
History B 06/2009

If you see what I mean?

And old school is where I'll be SITTING the exams, but the studying is done at a new school, in preparation for those exams.
deathtoalevel
Put the modules where you are doing them , as they will trace your grades by the centre number, not your school number
and have your referree MENTION your situation in your reference so Unis will understand

solved

Ohh, that is a good idea. Just having my referee mention I'm studying for the exams at a separate school.
Not sure if that's solved it though, I dunno :s-smilie:, I could ring UCAS and ask I guess...
Reply 11
Reference.
Oh dear at the awkwardness of asking my old teacher to explain in a reference about how I've gone to a much better school to re-sit my exams...
Oh, also, thank you for all replies :smile:!
Alexandra1234567
Oh dear at the awkwardness of asking my old teacher to explain in a reference about how I've gone to a much better school to re-sit my exams...

you gotta do what you gotta do!!!
all you need him is for the reference :P

but if your teacher writes it in a way that your drive and commitment to do so well has led you on to do this blah blah
unis will / can look at that as a credit to your applicatioN :biggrin:
It's a she :smile:, and she is lovely and I'm sure she'll be very understanding. She wrote my reference last year and it was positively glowing.

Latest

Trending

Trending