The Student Room Group

Big meeting with Disabilty staff and managers

Hi got a meeting with disbility staff and managers.

I would like to know the disadvantages of using dictaphones and advantages against a note taker. This is because I have a meeting with staff and I have to explain to them that why I need a note taker for group work than using a dictaphone.

Also are note takers allowed to write stuff down for me when in a group which is timetabled. As they arent sure if it says time tabled but the tutor isnt there, are they allowed to still take notes.

Thanks.
It's up to the university what they allow and what they don't. There's also a role for discussing it with other people in your group.

The main advantage of a notetaker over a dictaphone is that you get notes from the notetaker whereas you just get the recording from the dictaphone - which can take time to go through afterwards.
Reply 2
Hi Monstor, what do you mean by your second sentance in your 1st para.

I think I will inform them that as I do want to enjoy my uni life better than listening to my dictaphone and note taking myself as its very hard to get the key points and listen to the stuff again. In addition it never gives you the things you want to hear it takes everything down.
You'd need to get agreement from the other people in the group you're working with to use either a note taker or a dictaphone. You may find they have a strong preference one way or the other. I know I'd be very uncomforatble with someone recording a group discussion, but wouldn't be so bothered by a notetaker.
Reply 4
I know what you mean. I have hated my dictaphone since I ever got that piece of contraption. Also my assessor denied me having a 4 year warranty on the kit but my degree is a 4 yr course and it clearly says on the DSA papers assessors need to back the DSA kit with 4 yr warranties but he hasnt done. How do I go about it>
Go back to the assessment centre your assessor was from and get them to clarify it. If that doesn't work try getting the disability centre at your university to have a go.
Reply 6
Hi I tried informing them and they said you should have told us that and I did before going into that university and the assessor denied that.

I have had the meeting it didn't go down well.

I have found out that note takers are only there for timetabled sessions and not for one to one meetings with tutors, they aren't allowed to be there in group discussions even if a lecturer are talking about our group apparently thats called a meeting but in the timetable its called a tutorial, this is timetabled session.

I am feeling that I am in depression at the moment and I can't really talk to DAS as I am low in confidence. Will a GP inform my university about what I am going through and they try to help me out? I also feel like leaving due to this mess. A student who is in the same class has the same support but why can't I?
Reply 7
Just threaten the uni that if they dont sort it you will quit the course i think they would change there mind then.
Reply 8
Hi gers,

Do you really that will work, my friend also has lost his support for the timetabled session. Which is really strange his ANS Support Worrker is informing the deputy mamanger of our note taker agency of what is going on! This is really strange has anyone else found it amusing and distressing?
Reply 9
Well if u tell them ur quitting i am sure that would work.
Reply 10
Hi, today I informed the head of British Dyslexia Association and I informed her of what happened and she said that this is absured and I have got entitlement to it and she said to contact my assessors compan (OU) and tel them of happened. I did this and the head of the access centre has infomed that shw will get into contact with my assessor and he will speak to me of what has happened.

I waited all day and no reply. Got an appoint with my GP to discuss this futher! I will keep you posted!
Reply 11
Hey all,

Basically the uni said that I am not allowed a note taker for a timetabled session as this is a group work feedback session. My assessor did not put group work or meetings on and the note taking company asked the disability manager if this was allowed or not.
The disability manager said that she had to talk to me about what I am not allowed and allowed. The manager said I am not allowed to have note takers in meetings and group feedback sessions even though it’s all timetabled.
I then asked the British Dyslexia Assoc to help me out and they said to ring the Assessor and tell them to change it. I then asked the assessor to change it but he is not budging on his decision.
I have now got depression due to this and panic levels are up. I then asked my GP to speak to the head of BDA and they said that the GP had to write a letter to increase the hours for group work etc. I even told the BDA about my psych report and she said that I should have one for all classes and meetings. Therefore the GP is writing a letter to tell about my report and what he thinks. I really don’t know what to do at this point just wait until comes through the door and show it to the uni and show them my depression ticket etc.
I have also used a Dictaphone and this is not working as there is too much of background noise and its very annoying to listen back when you have coursework to hand in. The note taker would be so much easier as it’s quick and efficient and I can see it immediately.

Please can someone help me out with this problem and suggest any ideas.

Latest