The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I hope they didn't include Eastern Europe in this little survey.

But it's true, Britain is pretty ******.
i do not think that the UK is the very worst place in to live in Europe; it would not rate very highly on my list though. Descriptive words that spring to mind : Dour, Grey, Aggresive, shallow, blinkered, unruly.
Reply 22
chebanana
Actually, as stated, Bosnia sans war is actually a really cool place.

Yeah, we don't have as much sun, we have huge rates of obesity, teenage pregnancy and crime, but we have things that other countries really miss out on - I for one wouldn't swap our sense of humour for anything.

That said, I do really want to live in Crete :cool:

Yeah, it's a really cool place if you have money and visit there occasionally. Unfortunately, a vast majority of Bosnians don't satisfy either criteria.

Croat19
Yeah it's a different kind of life a guess. For example every night in the summer people or out drinking and partying , then the same over christmas and new year. Your not just working, then going home and doing nothing. The economic conditions may not be great but your money goes a lot further there, than in England. Also it is an extemely widespread country, for example miles of sweeping fields and forests, not just a concrete jungle. However i do agree that Britain is NOT the worst place to live in Europe.

Your money goes further because wages there, for the people who actually have a job that is, are significantly lower. Your money would go even further in Ethiopia. I doubt you'd want to live there.
If you don't like it here, move out.

We don't need this sort of negative attitude :p:
Britain is ranked 10th in that survey-that hardly makes it the worst place to live in Europe, what about eastern european countries? Anyway, wheres Norway?? Wasnt that recently voted best place to live in the world?
Reply 25
Bismarck
Yeah, it's a really cool place if you have money and visit there occasionally. Unfortunately, a vast majority of Bosnians don't satisfy either criteria.

Fair
Sheepmaster317
If you don't like it here, move out.

We don't need this sort of negative attitude :p:

Oh I made the rather wise choice to leave the blighted isle some time ago. The grass is certainly greener on this side, so to speak.
Seriously that article is clearly flawed. Britain is like a paradise compared to some of the other European countries (i.e. Serbia). I don't see why so many people hate living here. Sure the weather sucks majorly, but living standards are still amazing.
Reply 28
I quite like the UK, thanks.
Reply 29
There are far worse places in Europe. I quite like Britain. OP why not move to America then?
Mrm.
Oh I made the rather wise choice to leave the blighted isle some time ago. The grass is certainly greener on this side, so to speak.

Fair enough, can I ask where you're living now?

Often you hear people moaning about how bad this country is, but it's only when they leave that they realise it's not that bad. I've often thought about moving abroad once my education is all done with, but I came to the realisation that the UK is quite nice really :smile:
Rural Poland? Romania? Bulgaria? All FYRs except Croatia and Slovenia? Albania? Belarus? Russia? Moldova? Ukraine? Life for many people in these nations is ****, and is not going to get better for a long time, even with EU aid.

We rank in the 30 best countries to live in in the world according to the latest UN HDI report. Please don't spout this rubbish from the Daily Fail that somehow Britain is terribad. It's not.
A lot of people think it would be great to live somewhere else but when you actually go and do it, it's not always as great as you think. I lived in Italy for a year and although I really do love Italy a lot I was very happy to return home to England!!!
Reply 33
Bah humbug, there are some really crap places to live in the UK, jsut as there are really crap places to live pretty much everywhere. As to the US, if you'd ever been there you would realise just how much of a **** hole the place really is...

If I could live anywhere, then despite never having actually been there, I'd probably go for New Zealand. That being said, I don't think that my wife would be too happy living in a country with a population less than London, heck she wouldn't be happy living in a city with a population less than London...
Reply 34
The only other place i would consider living is Australia.

But people who go "GOD I WISH I COULD LIVE IN BLAH BLAH....ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN HERE" usually havent even visited that country long enough and have this ~ idealised view of it.
The daily mail is a British Newspaper, so they are insulting 99% of their readers. Not Smart.
Reply 36
I think most of us are rather lucky really, also I feel in Europe our education gives us the chance to get a decent job and change parts of our life we aren't happy with. Want a bigger house? Work hard and you will get one. You could work very hard in other countries and only ever earn pence for your work.
It's from the Daily Mail.
Hardly an unbiased article :P

******* Daily Mail, coming into our country, stealing our news :P
Reply 38
I love this country. And the weather suits me fine. In fact, since moving to Kent, I've missed the Devonshire wet weather so much, I was actually happier when it rained.
Eastern Europe from the Balkans to the Baltic is light years behind the West.

Latest

Trending

Trending