The Student Room Group

Can't click with History AS. Drop it? Advice.

Basically, I got bullied into doing History by the management at college because I was adamant that I didn't want to do Citizenship, which was the only other AS that fitted in with my timetable. However, a month in and a few classes missed I'm so upset with it all and I'm so behind. I never did History at GCSE and I can't seem to get anything right.

I'm really down about the whole thing and I just can't concentrate on anything. I try doing reading outside college to help me but it's not working.

Anyway, according to my timetable, World Development is the only other AS subject that fits in. From what I've heard, it's got a lot of Geography in it, as well as a bit of Sociology and a bit of Economics. However, I haven't heard of anyone on else from any other colleges doing it. I think it sounds really interested but...

Is it a proper doss subject? Is it worth doing?

Extra info: I've already finished my Psychology A2 and got a C :frown: Currently doing Sociology and Business A2, and predicted an A in both. I'd really like an A or B in whatever AS I do, which isn't going to happen with History.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
World development isn't really a valued/proper As.
Reply 2
So it's like, in the same league as General Studies and Critical Thinking?

I really don't want to do History any more :bawling:
Reply 3
Hmm, well drop it if you really and truly hate it. Though I wouldn't personally, if my only other options for that slot were world development and citizenship. :s-smilie:

I actually started history AS at Christmas last year after a whole term, didn't do it at GCSE, and I too hated it at first. Well, that's actually a lie... I found it vaguely interesting but I really struggled with the subject matter, history essay writing (though I knew my written English was excellent) and knowing what to learn - it can be confusing. The result of this was that I initially hated the subject too but I always had confidence in my style of writing and my ability to conceptualise ideas in essay-form. I stuck it out and did shiningly well I'm proud to say. :biggrin: My situation last year sounds somewhat similar to yours now, so I thought I'd tell you my story. Nonetheless, others in my class who initially hated it too, didn't fare so well so I would have to put it down to you.
Looking back, I now see how this was all part of the challenge and nobody else found these skills easy either.

My advice would be to stick at it for a bit longer - if you do drop it later, world development won't be too hard to pick up and catch up on. If you do decide to keep history, then your efforts won't have been in vein. :smile:
Reply 4
What modules are you taking for history? I did History last year and I hated it at the same time as you and seriously thought of dropping it, but it turned out to not be that bad.
If you are sure you just hate it, there's no point in doing it. WD and Citizenship are not respected subjects but are one level better than CT or GS!
Reply 6
charliexo
What modules are you taking for history? I did History last year and I hated it at the same time as you and seriously thought of dropping it, but it turned out to not be that bad.

Unit 1 - Pursuing Life and Liberty: Equality in the USA 1945-68

Unit 2 - Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India 1900-47

:indiff:
Reply 7
Oh wow. that sounds tough. I don't even know what that means. I did:
1. Russia in Turmoil
2. Tudor Rebellions
Reply 8
Sakura-Chan

I would love those topics!

So much better than my two horrible AS units.

At least I've got a good A2 topic though. :yes:
Reply 9
What's the good A2 topic?
Reply 10
Sakura-Chan

I did those exact modules, I am guessing the first one is on Civil Rights movement?

If you really don't want to do it then I don't see why you should carry on with it but in my opinion a C in AS History would look better than an A in World Development. What do you want to do at Uni?
Reply 11
They don't sound like good topics tbh. I did Germany 1933-69 and Tudors. I hadn't studied the Tudors in much detail before and it took me about a month to get into it, but then I started to really enjoy it and got an A in the exam. Maybe it'll be the same with you. Just give it a couple more weeks and I think it will probably improve.
Reply 12
Deshi
I did those exact modules, I am guessing the first one is on Civil Rights movement?

If you really don't want to do it then I don't see why you should carry on with it but in my opinion a C in AS History would look better than an A in World Development. What do you want to do at Uni?

It is yeah. I want to do Psychology at uni.
Sakura-Chan

I did pretty much these exact topics for GCSE and loved them, I guess I was the same as you in that I didn't really "get" history but I still found these topics fascinating. If you're really unhappy with it, change it but you never know, it might get better and tbh AS history sounds better than the other two.
Thought about a block change?
Reply 15
:sleep: drop history its boring. :yawn:
Reply 16
What don't you like about it?

I started history as a new subject at A level and it was tough. I was getting D/E grades for all my work in the first term, but I kept going - mainly because I was taking a 5th AS just in case I failed it - and kept working, and ended up doing suprisingly well.

If I wasn't enjoying the topic, I'd read around it and find some facts/quotations which interested me. Maybe try this?

Good luck with whatever you decide. :smile:
Reply 17
I found out today that Law is the only other option that could fit my timetable, apart from the subjects I've already mentioned.

How's Law regarded at AS?
Sakura-Chan
I found out today that Law is the only other option that could fit my timetable, apart from the subjects I've already mentioned.

How's Law regarded at AS?
Law isn't seen as a good subject either. :s-smilie:
It's blacklisted openly by Cambridge and LSE and blacklisted (non talk but admissions grumble) by other unis like Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL etc.....
:s-smilie:
Why don't you do History AS and then drop it at the end of the year?
Reply 19
Stricof
Law isn't seen as a good subject either. :s-smilie:
It's blacklisted openly by Cambridge and LSE and blacklisted (non talk but admissions grumble) by other unis like Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL etc.....
:s-smilie:
Why don't you do History AS and then drop it at the end of the year?

Because I'm applying for 2010 entry to university.

The whole reason I don't want to do History any more is because I'm sick and tired of going into a class that I dread, for 6 hours a week and feeling like the thickest person in there. If I carry on like I am now, I'll scrap a C at best. That's if I put in tons of work. There's so much more politics in the modules we've got than I anticipated and I feel so out of my depth.

EDIT: The reason for taking another AS was that I was advised to have 3.5 A Levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending