The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Have the balls to tell people in the library to shut up. They know full well youre not supposed to talk there. If they dont, go ask one of the guys at the desk to kick them out.

Labs arent suppose to be quiet. Go to the library or quiet study area if you need quiet to do your calculations etc

Im not sure what to do about the knob-heads that think its funny to run along the corridor in the middle of the night banging on all the doors. Other than shouting "**** off!!" as loudly and aggressively as you can theres not much you can do. Maybe get up and chase them if you can be bothered.

but i get the feeling OP is the kind of person who would moan about it on the internet rather than actually stand up for himself IRL
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
halfoflessthan50p
Have the balls to tell people in the library to shut up. They know full well youre not supposed to talk there. If they dont, go ask one of the guys at the desk to kick them out.

Labs arent suppose to be quiet. Go to the library or quiet study area if you need quiet to do your calculations etc

Im not sure what to do about the knob-heads that think its funny to run along the corridor in the middle of the night banging on all the doors. Other than shouting "**** off!!" as loudly and aggressively as you can theres not much you can do. Maybe get up and chase them if you can be bothered.

but i get the feeling OP is the kind of person who would moan about it on the internet rather than actually stand up for himself IRL

My exact words were" Could you keep quiet please?" at the first time.
It works for 1 minute.
And I said : Could you shut up please?.
It worked for 3minutes.

Those guys just have no sense of shame!

I might try one of the guys at the desk next time, thank you.
And you don't have to be agressive to me, because i didn't say anything about you, right?

On what groud do you suppose that i didn't do what you said?
Reply 22
oww sorry OP i get your point....but I guess u just have to be patient cos its the first week of term and many freshers are adjusting to the new environment and making new friends. Things will bounce back to normal hopefully in no distant time -when lectures begins and ppl start taking things seriously lol
Reply 23
Hahaha you first years sicken me.

Who the **** studies in first year like that, especially in the FIRST ******* WEEK. I would agree maybe around exam time.

I got drunk most nights of the week and got a first. The first year is there to help you get into university life, it is weighted the least and is there to help you get used to being completely free of any parental supervision.

Internationals: you come to the UK and you expect people to follow your culture? Sorry, but students from the US / UK / most western countries have a culture of getting drunk / being noisy in university. You are the ones coming here, maybe you should try to adapt to the local culture and learn something about it rather than being some boring, geeky, work to death idiots that still end up getting 3rds.

I guess english should be your priority, and to me it sounds like you're one of those that doesn't make effort to make friends with the locals. Guess what, your english will not improve if you don't do that, and your other grades will suffer as a consequence, when you find out you don't understand every second word in lectures.

By the way, labs will always be noisy, so don't go to them if you can't handle that. Library, go to 5th floor, dead quiet.

Stop complaining and get through it. Regardless of the noise / other problems, thousands of students a year get through Imperial with a good degree.
Reply 24
lol hey ''angrygeek'' you don't have to be harsh on OP......everyone has freedom of speech and OP is entitled to his/hers.....

btw what course did u study....congrats on getting a first
angrygeek

I would rep you but I already repped someone today (and it's worth **** all anyway.)

I wholeheartedly agree. The people down my corridor are taking it WAY too seriously, and I have a **** social life at the moment as a result. Not impressed. Hopefully they'll lighten up soonish cause it's ****ing boring. :sad:
taniubi
You might be right too. I also enjoy the 'poker face'.
But the fact is I am really proud of my minority identity.
And majority is an insult to me.
I think working in the LAB until late without any disturbence is the happiest thing, considering the fact that i choose to study but not have no other options.
If a nation consider studying sad, then no wonder it is collapsing.

Is asking people to be quiet in a quiet computing LAB too fastidious ?

I was in no way implying that the 'nation' considered studying to be sad, if we're at Imperial in the first place then we must have studied very hard to get here in the first place. What you seem to lack is the balance between studying and having a good time. I understand that there might be a cultural ddifference or almost a cultural shock, but that doesn't mean you should impose your beliefs on everyone else and expect them to abide. The majority also manage to graduate with firsts and get the top jobs whilst also having a good time. It's all about balance, and not being a total killjoy. Also- I've been working in the lab every single day and haven't heard a single person make too much noise, some people talk between themsevles quietly and usually in regards to their academic work. Loosen up a bit, it'll do you some good.
jennikay
I would rep you but I already repped someone today (and it's worth **** all anyway.)

I wholeheartedly agree. The people down my corridor are taking it WAY too seriously, and I have a **** social life at the moment as a result. Not impressed. Hopefully they'll lighten up soonish cause it's ****ing boring. :sad:

Virtually everyone on my course has no social life whatsoever either, and sometimes it gets a bit boring, especially when I actually have done the work and could do with a drink or a meal out. But NO, everyone else is doing further reading or research or whatever.
angrygeek

Who the **** studies in first year like that, especially in the FIRST ******* WEEK. I would agree maybe around exam time.

I got drunk most nights of the week and got a first. The first year is there to help you get into university life, it is weighted the least and is there to help you get used to being completely free of any parental supervision.

Internationals: you come to the UK and you expect people to follow your culture? Sorry, but students from the US / UK / most western countries have a culture of getting drunk / being noisy in university. You are the ones coming here, maybe you should try to adapt to the local culture and learn something about it rather than being some boring, geeky, work to death idiots that still end up getting 3rds.

I guess english should be your priority, and to me it sounds like you're one of those that doesn't make effort to make friends with the locals. Guess what, your english will not improve if you don't do that, and your other grades will suffer as a consequence, when you find out you don't understand every second word in lectures.

By the way, labs will always be noisy, so don't go to them if you can't handle that. Library, go to 5th floor, dead quiet.

Stop complaining and get through it. Regardless of the noise / other problems, thousands of students a year get through Imperial with a good degree.

i'm going to hold a party on the 5th floor of the library now just to make a point that the first year isn't about having your nose in between a book all the time. They'll have NOWHERE TO GO NOW.
sir.jamesgreen
Ugh, a first year computing student decides the entire university sucks because labs aren't stone quiet during the first week of term...

Allow me to pour some more disdain on your flames.

They're NEVER quiet, and it's not like people are having a full on rave in there either. Unless the OP has ADD, then it's still quiet enough to concentrate.

I've now concluded that the OP has ADD as well as being a sexually frustrated passive-aggressive.

(It's always sexual frustration)
learner_dancer
Virtually everyone on my course has no social life whatsoever either, and sometimes it gets a bit boring, especially when I actually have done the work and could do with a drink or a meal out. But NO, everyone else is doing further reading or research or whatever.

If you ever want to go out - invite me, PLEASE :puppyeyes:

Seriously.
Reply 31
Doc labs are never quiet. I'm playing COD4 whilst programming C++, my friends play DotA and everyone else moans about how bad their Haskell is going.
Reply 32
angrygeek

Maybe there are many nerds in your course getting 3rd.

Let's see what degree i can get, shall we?

And what did you get?

I really want to meet you~ and have a look at what kind of people is sexually satisfied.

What course are you doing? What grade?
Reply 33
taniubi
Maybe there are many nerds in your course getting 3rd.

Let's see what degree i can get, shall we?

And what did you get?

I really want to meet you~ and have a look at what kind of people is sexually satisfied.

What course are you doing? What grade?

Computing, 1st class. How bout you? And the problem with getting thirds is far bigger in other courses...

Sexually satisfied? Wtf?

And anyway, noone said you won't do well. But don't think working hard all year round will do it for you.
Reply 34
angrygeek
Computing, 1st class. How bout you? And the problem with getting thirds is far bigger in other courses...

Sexually satisfied? Wtf?

And anyway, noone said you won't do well. But don't think working hard all year round will do it for you.

I meant to ask The Dancer, anyway, I am doing JMC, first years.
Reply 35
hey wait a minute!! did someone say majority of pps at Imperial get 1st??
I find that hard to believe
sunspoon
Doc labs are never quiet. I'm playing COD4 whilst programming C++, my friends play DotA and everyone else moans about how bad their Haskell is going.

real nice; am I right to assume you're all playing on your laptops? I've always been one of those people who play games during any lessons in the computer rooms, minimising it as the teacher walks by.
Reply 37
specialandsimpleboy
real nice; am I right to assume you're all playing on your laptops? I've always been one of those people who play games during any lessons in the computer rooms, minimising it as the teacher walks by.

People played Counterstrike in lectures last year...
Emperor
hey wait a minute!! did someone say majority of pps at Imperial get 1st??
I find that hard to believe

I think in some subjects more people will get 1st than any other degree classification. But there will be less 1sts than 2:1s + 2:2s + 3rds + passes etc. I bet they have to publish the statistics about what percentage of firsts they award so its probably on the t'internets somewhere.

angrygeek

out of interest is this the same angrygeek that writes the column in felix?
Reply 39
I have no idea how any of you can play games in lectures. Normally I have to use every ounce of concentration I have to even vaguely understand what the hell the lecturer's on about. And the 2nd week is meant to be easy!

By vaguely understand I mean not understand at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending