The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
10 Oxbridge colleges given a place, that shouldn't be allowed....

Well it is an advantage for them in some ways and a disadvantage in others. If they could pool their teams every year to create one Oxford and one Cambridge team, they would be formidable teams, especially you consider that they both have a quiz scene which other Unis do not have. If you consider that a college like Regent's Park had 200 students to choose a team from and then compare that to Manchester which has 40,000 then it is difficult to say whether the extra cracks of the whip actually serve as an advantage at all.
DeeDub
Well it is an advantage for them in some ways and a disadvantage in others. If they could pool their teams every year to create one Oxford and one Cambridge team, they would be formidable teams, especially you consider that they both have a quiz scene which other Unis do not have. If you consider that a college like Regent's Park had 200 students to choose a team from and then compare that to Manchester which has 40,000 then it is difficult to say whether the extra cracks of the whip actually serve as an advantage at all.

One uni = one place

not

One uni = five places
_____

I understand your points, but increasing the number of entrants they are allowed, just boosts their odds considerably and unfairly.
Reply 22
py0alb
Whilst a top notch show, university challenge is completely biased. I read recently (and watching the show would back this up) that whilst 2/3rd of the university population do some form of hard or soft science, rather than an art, the ratio of art and literature questions to science questions is the other way round.

My top score is 16 in one show, however if I was a classicist... every second question is who wrote this or who said this or what does this word mean.

I think today I counted 6 science questions in the entire show.

Huh? Universities are currently struggling to fill science courses, I think you'll find the majority of students these days tend to do some variant of a social science or an art, more like the 2/3rds you mentioned and then 1/3rd doing a science and I wouldn't consider questions on social sciences to be really 'sciency' questions, social sciences are only sciences in their methodologies not their content.

I know certainly the University I go to has trouble filling it's quota and as such offers great courses at like CCC and my local university (Exeter) cut a number of science courses a few years back due to a lack of interest.
WhySoLimey
considering that you cant spell challenge, nor listen to the host, it doesnt surprise me you dont get the answers :X

exactly what i thought. though it's not as if i'm bang on them.
Regent's Park Oxford disappointed me. None of them knew Comfortably Numb, the fiends.
Reply 25
obscurename
Regent's Park Oxford disappointed me. None of them knew Comfortably Numb, the fiends.

Common pop music is below the level of Oxford students, it is vulgar and can't transcend to the levels of Wagner, Beethoven or Tchaikovsky.
That show is really hard!! I only ever get a couple of art questions right :frown:

My mum seems to be absolutely awesome at it though, too bad she is well past her university days!

Latest