The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wait, can I just add that my 'summer essay' is very long... 7,000 words.... I don't want to 'annoy' an admissions tutor...
Reply 21
Convey your concerns to the appropriate Director of Studies at the college you have applied to. I'm sure they'll give you a far better answer than we could. You can e-mail D.O.S's by finding their e-mail on your colleges website.
Reply 22
I don't actually have an essay...And I'm not sure what to do about that, because if I did write one, it would be extra-curricular, and I think that's not allowed... About how long does it need to be? I wouldn't want to submit a piece of work I've done for class that's a couple of A4 sides long...
RosyAurora
I don't actually have an essay...And I'm not sure what to do about that, because if I did write one, it would be extra-curricular, and I think that's not allowed... About how long does it need to be? I wouldn't want to submit a piece of work I've done for class that's a couple of A4 sides long...

I was in the same situation so I emailed the director of studies at the college I'm applying to about it and they didn't seem to have an issue with me submitting an essay that was not written as part of my course. It's probably best to ask your relevant director of studies about it.
Reply 24
My deadline is the 15th November...
Reply 25
rulerofspinach
they didn't seem to have an issue with me submitting an essay that was not written as part of my course.

Well, technically I did dig out some relevant work, but it's not an 'essay' per se... more of an 8-question exam-style thing. It includes a fairly long literary analysis though. Is this what they want? It's not hugely detailed and doesn't show off essay-writing skills...
Reply 26
RosyAurora
Well, technically I did dig out some relevant work, but it's not an 'essay' per se... more of an 8-question exam-style thing. It includes a fairly long literary analysis though. Is this what they want? It's not hugely detailed and doesn't show off essay-writing skills...

You'll have to ask your particular college out this, I emailed the admissions dept. because I didnt have any essays at all so they told me to do one now (and that it should not be a problem) and send it in when they ask for it
Rather concerned about sending in the essays; I feel as if I haven't really written anything 'up to scratch', and don't have time to write anything new from the beginning. The pieces I have were written way back when at the start of Year 12; do you think the colleges will take improvement over time into account?

And if not, do you think the lower level of essay will drastically impact the chance of being offered an interview? :/
Reply 28
thirteenwish
Rather concerned about sending in the essays; I feel as if I haven't really written anything 'up to scratch', and don't have time to write anything new from the beginning. The pieces I have were written way back when at the start of Year 12; do you think the colleges will take improvement over time into account?

And if not, do you think the lower level of essay will drastically impact the chance of being offered an interview? :/

In the same situation as you... Sorry, that doesn't help, but I'd like to know the answer too. I have one piece of work I'd be prepared to submit but it's not an essay. However, for Classics they want an 'essay or translation'... Well... this is literary analysis :biggrin: No?
Reply 29
I have to submit 3 essays for PPS(King's).Would 3 pages each be reasonable?Also,I have one from a test in class (history) one which was a homework and one from a communication session(not really academic).Would this be good?
Reply 30
I gotta do an economics one for Christ's college that has to be submitted by the 16th November I think. I kinda wish that my A-level involved coursework now cus i've got to write 1000 words on 1 of 3 bitch-of-a-question subjects
Reply 31
should the essays include bibliography?
Reply 32
Hi, could anyone explain to me what exactly is an essay? I am not from UK, so I want to know if you have any special rules or something... If I am writing a history essay for example, can I just describe what happened or do I have to use my thoughts and opinions? :eek3:
Reply 33
Hi, could anyone explain to me what exactly is an essay? I am not from UK, so I want to know if you have any special rules or something... If I am writing a history essay for example, can I just describe what happened or do I have to use my thoughts and opinions?
Reply 34
KrisN
Hi, could anyone explain to me what exactly is an essay? I am not from UK, so I want to know if you have any special rules or something... If I am writing a history essay for example, can I just describe what happened or do I have to use my thoughts and opinions?

Neither, tbh. Gosh, I don't know how I'd even begin to describe how exactly to write a history essay. You need a strong central argument that you carry throughout the whole essay, you need themed paragraphs with beginnings, middles, and ends. You need relevant historical examples to back up the points you're trying to make. You need to make sure you PLAN, PLAN, PLAN before you even start to write your essay. I'd send you one of mine, but I don't know what I'm sending in myself yet so that's probably not the best of ideas. Get this book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Students-Writing-Guide-Social-Sciences/dp/0521369053/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256240246&sr=8-3
If I am writing a history essay for example, can I just describe what happened or do I have to use my thoughts and opinions

Well, I'm not a History student so don't listen to me too much, but I wouldn't recommend just describing what happened; it doesn't show much of an understanding to just be able to write down 'this happened then something else happened then another thing happened'. Perhaps describing what happened, how this has relevance to your essay question, social/political/economic effects, different views, your own thoughts? Like I said, not a History student so I don't know what is preferred, but I think you need to explore it in more depth than just a description of what happened.
Reply 36
KrisN

I have the same problem, but for English.
I mailed the college to ask what I should send them, and they adviced me to send whatever I felt showed my skills and abilities to best advantage. It didn't matter that it wasn't on a set subject or not marked.
I know this is a very silly question and people will think I don't have a chance in hell at Cambridge if I don't even know how to write a proper essay, but anyway... Last year I wrote something about Tolkien's essay 'The Monsters and the Critics'. I went through the text and just elaborated on every point he made in it. I did this for fun and to understand the text a bit better, but it's not really an essay, right? :s-smilie:
I am also writing something for one of my university courses at the moment, on the set subject 'Narrative techniques in Pride and Prejudice'. Would that be an essay?

I know this is an extremely stupid question, but I really don't know what to do :cry2:
Reply 37
fumblewomble
Both these pieces of work sound fine to send in.

Don't worry excessively about what an essay is. It is interesting to note that the word 'essay' comes from the verb 'to try'. It is fundamentally an attempt at something which implies that it doesn't have to be perfect.

What you need to send in is pieces of work that you think demonstrate your writing style, your ability to make a point and back it up etc. There are no set rules about exactly what you should send in. Cambridge are quite deliberately vagues so that you can send in virtually anything you like. This gives you freedom. It is not something to worry about.

Thank you! That's really reassuring - I have been stressing about this for weeks now :o: I never had to write essays while at school, and the only examples I have are academic articles - but I'm glad to hear they're not expecting something similar!
I'll just send the one I'm writing for my course then, and I'll work a bit on the Tolkien/Beowulf one - it's about ten pages long at the moment.
Again: thank you! You have really helped me out with LOADS of things the past few months :smile:
Reply 38
I have to submit theree but they are only 3 pages each,should they be longer?(the college didn't give me any specification regarding word limit)
Reply 39
This is from Admissions Office "There is no word limit and the essays do not have to take any particular
form. You should submit whatever you feel is relevant to your application."

Latest

Trending

Trending