The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
sophiasunshine
Well, I'm not a History student so don't listen to me too much, but I wouldn't recommend just describing what happened; it doesn't show much of an understanding to just be able to write down 'this happened then something else happened then another thing happened'. Perhaps describing what happened, how this has relevance to your essay question, social/political/economic effects, different views, your own thoughts? Like I said, not a History student so I don't know what is preferred, but I think you need to explore it in more depth than just a description of what happened.

Thanks, I think you are right, unfortunately...describing is so much easier than thinking :smile:
Reply 41
Here's my question: when I went to the Trinity Open day i remember my DoS told me that I had to send off two essays, one in my mothertongue (Italian) and one in English. Now, the letter I got doesn't specify the language of the essays I should send. I'm really confused :s-smilie:
Reply 42
fumblewomble
Both these pieces of work sound fine to send in.

Don't worry excessively about what an essay is. It is interesting to note that the word 'essay' comes from the verb 'to try'. It is fundamentally an attempt at something which implies that it doesn't have to be perfect.

What you need to send in is pieces of work that you think demonstrate your writing style, your ability to make a point and back it up, the range of ideas you can bring to a subject and your ability to express them clearly etc. There are no set rules about exactly what you should send in. Cambridge are quite deliberately vagues so that you can send in virtually anything you like. This gives you freedom. It is not something to worry about.

Cambridge are well aware that people have been educated in all sorts of different international systems etc where traditions for writing may be different from the English ones. This is not a problem - they are interested in your raw ability not the superficial details.

Great answer, just wanted to make a couple of further points. In the UK, you're encouraged to make a case in your essay (for history, English, whatever) that is *yours*. So some thoughtful disagreement with someone else's opinion is fine, but you should be wary of simply paraphrasing what someone else has said without really changing the substance.

Also, you're not really meant to narrate, either for history or English. So, if you're writing about the character of Ophelia in Hamlet, you don't spend the whole essay summing up exactly what the plot of the play is.

I just thought those points were worth making because I know in some places (esp. China, I think?) an essay is marked on how much hard fact you can cram into it, whereas here it's more about your critical opinion of some of those facts.
Reply 43
If one of the essays was awarded with a prize should I submit the diploma(certificate which atests this) along with the essay or it would just look a little bit conceited,superior?
Reply 44
green10
If one of the essays was awarded with a prize should I submit the diploma(certificate which atests this) along with the essay or it would just look a little bit conceited,superior?

I'd put a note in saying, 'Note: this essay was awarded the -- prize'. If you're worried about them not knowing what that prize is, then give a summary. Is it a school prize? Or a national competition?

If you referred to that prize/competition in your personal statement, you should say so.

I don't think it sounds conceited, they're asking you to tell them what's great about you. You did well, so be proud of yourself!
Reply 45
SleepyGrad
Great answer, just wanted to make a couple of further points. In the UK, you're encouraged to make a case in your essay (for history, English, whatever) that is *yours*. So some thoughtful disagreement with someone else's opinion is fine, but you should be wary of simply paraphrasing what someone else has said without really changing the substance.

Also, you're not really meant to narrate, either for history or English. So, if you're writing about the character of Ophelia in Hamlet, you don't spend the whole essay summing up exactly what the plot of the play is.

I just thought those points were worth making because I know in some places (esp. China, I think?) an essay is marked on how much hard fact you can cram into it, whereas here it's more about your critical opinion of some of those facts.

Thanks a lot for this. It's really helpful.
Reply 46
Thank you very very much !!! Really helpful for me too !Only one more question :smile: THe essays must be seen and marked by a teacher.Would the comments be written at the end of the essay like a note,along with the mark?If the teacher had seen it but had nothing to comment about?
Reply 47
Yes,you're right,maybe I shouldn't worry so much :smile:
Tomorrow I'm sending them !!!
Reply 48
green10
Yes,you're right,maybe I shouldn't worry so much :smile:
Tomorrow I'm sending them !!!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 49
Thank you very much !!!:kissing2: :hugs:
Reply 50
Thank you very much ! I have sent them today ,hope it's all OK!
I really appreciate your help!:hugs:
Hi, basically the deadline for submitting my essay is the 6th, but I won't get back to school so I can get the cover sheet signed until the 3rd.

I was just wondering whether I should risk cutting it that short due to the postal strikes, or whether I should send the essay sooner with a note that the cover sheet will follow?

A bit of a neurotic question, I know, but thanks anyway :smile:
Lightfantastic
Hi, basically the deadline for submitting my essay is the 6th, but I won't get back to school so I can get the cover sheet signed until the 3rd.

I was just wondering whether I should risk cutting it that short due to the postal strikes, or whether I should send the essay sooner with a note that the cover sheet will follow?

A bit of a neurotic question, I know, but thanks anyway :smile:

Quite a conundrum, this is.
Reply 53
Ok... Fairly urgent question as I've been ill and didn't realise the deadline was NEXT TUESDAY... Ooops. I'm applying for Classics @ Jesus College, Cambridge.

I don't have an essay, I don't have time to write one, what I do have is an AS exam-style question set (two 2-mark, one 3-mark, one 8-mark, two 10-mark questions plus a short 15-mark translation from Ovid Metamorphoses VIII) which I think shows off essay-style answers without actually being an essay. On the request for work they asked for 'an essay, translation or language work' and... well, it's not exactly any of those but a combination of the three. It's mostly comprehension & literary analysis, and the 10-mark questions are both about a page long. Do you think this would be acceptable for the request?

The second problem is that the first questions (a-f) are typed, the last question (g) is hand-written and photocopied so the teacher's comments are black and hard to distinguish (I would highlight these if I was allowed and if this was necessary). I don't want it to look like it's two pieces as it's still one, and all together I think it's a better showcase of writing skills and all that, as the last question is the 2nd 10-mark question.

Sorry this is long and complicated and fairly badly-written :smile: I have emailed the Head of Classics @ Jesus but he hasn't replied and, well, it's fairly urgent now with the postal strike and the fact that it's my birthday this week and I don't have much time!

If anyone could help I'd be very very happy. Please quote or I won't notice :smile: Thanks x
Reply 54
E-mail or ring the college perhaps?
Reply 55
RosyAurora
Ok... Fairly urgent question as I've been ill and didn't realise the deadline was NEXT TUESDAY... Ooops. I'm applying for Classics @ Jesus College, Cambridge.

I don't have an essay, I don't have time to write one, what I do have is an AS exam-style question set (two 2-mark, one 3-mark, one 8-mark, two 10-mark questions plus a short 15-mark translation from Ovid Metamorphoses VIII) which I think shows off essay-style answers without actually being an essay. On the request for work they asked for 'an essay, translation or language work' and... well, it's not exactly any of those but a combination of the three. It's mostly comprehension & literary analysis, and the 10-mark questions are both about a page long. Do you think this would be acceptable for the request?

The second problem is that the first questions (a-f) are typed, the last question (g) is hand-written and photocopied so the teacher's comments are black and hard to distinguish (I would highlight these if I was allowed and if this was necessary). I don't want it to look like it's two pieces as it's still one, and all together I think it's a better showcase of writing skills and all that, as the last question is the 2nd 10-mark question.

Sorry this is long and complicated and fairly badly-written :smile: I have emailed the Head of Classics @ Jesus but he hasn't replied and, well, it's fairly urgent now with the postal strike and the fact that it's my birthday this week and I don't have much time!

If anyone could help I'd be very very happy. Please quote or I won't notice :smile: Thanks x

It sounds as if what you have fits their criteria. From what I remember of AS, those questions are, as you say, a pretty good display of the skills they're looking for. They'll be familiar with what's on the AS syllabus anyway, so they'll recognize where you're coming from. But - are you sure you couldn't write an essay? I mean, if you go to Cambridge you'll be writing at least an essay a week next year anyway. Maybe you could cobble something together from the questions?

I'd also ring through to admissions at Jesus. Ask them if the head of Classics is away, and ask if there's someone else who can answer your question.

(Oh, and good luck!)
Reply 56
If you send it on the 3rd, it will reach them on the 4th or 5th latest providing strikes are not scheduled for those dates. If they are, you can always pay a couple more pounds for special delivery which is unaffected by strike action.

I think they would like to receive the essay with the confirming cover sheet to be honest. You should be OK for the deadline. That's what I'd do anyway.
Reply 57
My deadline is the 6th, but I think I'll have to send it this week to get it there on time, even if I use the fastest (and most expensive: €9.50 :frown: ) delivery... I was thinking of sending them a pdf with a scan of the essay and cover sheet on the 5th, just to make 100% sure they receive them on time - or would that be a bad idea?
Reply 58
SleepyGrad
It sounds as if what you have fits their criteria. From what I remember of AS, those questions are, as you say, a pretty good display of the skills they're looking for. They'll be familiar with what's on the AS syllabus anyway, so they'll recognize where you're coming from. But - are you sure you couldn't write an essay? I mean, if you go to Cambridge you'll be writing at least an essay a week next year anyway. Maybe you could cobble something together from the questions?

I'd also ring through to admissions at Jesus. Ask them if the head of Classics is away, and ask if there's someone else who can answer your question.

(Oh, and good luck!)

Thanks :smile: The Jesus guy emailed back and said it was what they were looking for, so all I need now is a copy of the question paper and I'm sorted. Unfortunately i don't have it, but my friend will so that should be alright.
I'm just going to leave it at that though, I don't have much time of willpower left after the past few weeks to attempt an essay on top of it all. Although I realise I'd be doing one a week @ Cambridge, I'd at least enjoy my work there, which is something lacking at the moment *sigh*
Not in Classics of course, but unfortunately I have to focus most of my time on things I'd rather not do. Uni can't come soon enough for me :biggrin:
Thanks again
Reply 59
RosyAurora
Thanks :smile: The Jesus guy emailed back and said it was what they were looking for, so all I need now is a copy of the question paper and I'm sorted. Unfortunately i don't have it, but my friend will so that should be alright.
I'm just going to leave it at that though, I don't have much time of willpower left after the past few weeks to attempt an essay on top of it all. Although I realise I'd be doing one a week @ Cambridge, I'd at least enjoy my work there, which is something lacking at the moment *sigh*
Not in Classics of course, but unfortunately I have to focus most of my time on things I'd rather not do. Uni can't come soon enough for me :biggrin:
Thanks again

That's great, you must be really relieved. I hate it when they take their time replying. But of course it's no fun writing an essay when you don't have tom, especially in the middle of A levels. Didn't mean to suggest you *should*, only that if the worst came to the worst they'd at least be used to reading quickly written essays. Anyway, hope all goes well for you - good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending