The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Oh God oh God oh God. Corpus Christi Cambridge asked for two marked essays for Eng Lit. No problem, away they went with their covering sheets (all filled in by my Head of English and so on). Lovely.
Got an e-mail from the admissions tutor today to tell me that they had received my essays, but they had specifically asked for FOUR copies of each essay, complete with separate cover sheets for each copy. The problem is, I didn't take a photocopy of the cover sheets, and I'm now on half term until November 2nd - which is the deadline date, so I can't get my Head of English to fill in the cover sheets, PLUS I sent of my only marked copy of one of the essays. Gulp.

Had to bathe in self-pity, and this seems the best place to do it.
Genuinely stressed though.
Reply 61
IonaHL
Oh God oh God oh God. Corpus Christi Cambridge asked for two marked essays for Eng Lit. No problem, away they went with their covering sheets (all filled in by my Head of English and so on). Lovely.
Got an e-mail from the admissions tutor today to tell me that they had received my essays, but they had specifically asked for FOUR copies of each essay, complete with separate cover sheets for each copy. The problem is, I didn't take a photocopy of the cover sheets, and I'm now on half term until November 2nd - which is the deadline date, so I can't get my Head of English to fill in the cover sheets, PLUS I sent of my only marked copy of one of the essays. Gulp.

Write a very apologetic email to the Admissions Office explaining that more copies are in the post but you can't get more copies of the cover sheets... Don't worry - you won't be the only one who has made this mistake.

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE - MAKE SURE THAT YOU TAKE PHOTOCOPIES OF EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU SEND IT OFF, ESPECIALLY WITH THE POSTAL STRIKES ETC.
Reply 62
IonaHL

Ouch, I hate it when things like that happen. But seriously, it's an easy mistake to make. I would have thought your teacher ought to step in and help even if it's half term - try to see if there's any random chain of people who can get you in touch with him/her. But if not, Cambridge surely own a photocopier, you'll be fine explaining that you misread the instructions. This won't even reach the people who actually decide on your application, it's just the admin people who're wanting you to sort it out. So don't stress too much!
Reply 63
So my deadline is on 6th November. However, if I deliver everything like on 3rd and they fail to receive it by 6th is it all right? I mean, shouldn't be ok if they see that I delivered everything before the deadline? :frown:
Reply 64
SleepyGrad
Ouch, I hate it when things like that happen. But seriously, it's an easy mistake to make. I would have thought your teacher ought to step in and help even if it's half term - try to see if there's any random chain of people who can get you in touch with him/her. But if not, Cambridge surely own a photocopier, you'll be fine explaining that you misread the instructions. This won't even reach the people who actually decide on your application, it's just the admin people who're wanting you to sort it out. So don't stress too much!

Admin lady seemed a little angry & stressed, but will take necessary photocopies of stuff I can't send. Thanks!

And agree with person above, the lesson is to always take photocopies...
Reply 65
MisaG
So my deadline is on 6th November. However, if I deliver everything like on 3rd and they fail to receive it by 6th is it all right? I mean, shouldn't be ok if they see that I delivered everything before the deadline? :frown:

I wouldn't take the risk. The admins tutors have a heavy workload and (as I found) don't like it all that much when things don't work out. The deadline is usually there for a reason, but of course if there's a real problem, I'd call and explain and see if something can be worked out.
Reply 66
IonaHL
I wouldn't take the risk. The admins tutors have a heavy workload and (as I found) don't like it all that much when things don't work out. The deadline is usually there for a reason, but of course if there's a real problem, I'd call and explain and see if something can be worked out.

Thank you so much for answering. Gosh, hope I can make it. :frown:
Reply 67
Seriously - get your essays there on time because otherwise the Directors of Studies will be there reading them and yours will be missing which won't create a good first impression!
Reply 68
I know, it'd be awful. It's not allowed to scan and send them off through mail, is it? That would make everything so much easier :frown:
Reply 69
MisaG
I know, it'd be awful. It's not allowed to scan and send them off through mail, is it? That would make everything so much easier :frown:

Think about it though - there's no way that the colleges want to print 800 odd essays...plus they need your signature / the teachers' marking. They want you to post them to them and will only let you email / fax if they don't arrive.
Reply 70
MisaG

I'm posting my essays today, but I really don't know how long it'll take so I've scanned them (+ the cover sheets) and I'm e-mailing them on the fifth, just to make sure it's there in case something goes wrong. I know they won't like to receive tons of emails with attachments, but I have more than enough experience with international post :s-smilie:
If I were you I'd contact them about it, I'm sure they won't mind that much. It's better to annoy the admissions staff and ensure it arrives on time than to annoy the people who will be reading it and making the decisions, I think.
Reply 71
Hi everyone, I'm really confused because I'm applying for MML (French and Spanish) at St Catharine's college and I haven't had an acknowledgement from the college or anything. I only filled out the SAQ and sent that off, but the college hasn't written to me yet.

I was just wondering if anyone hasn't been told yet about any essays they were meant to write please? On the Cambridge website it said that St. Catharine's wanted one languages essay, and I rang the college admissions office to ask, as I haven't been told about a deadline or anything yet. They said that I should be told this week, but I haven't heard anything!!! Sorry - thankyou so much to anyone who can help, I'm panicking majorly now lol because everyone else seems to have their essays sorted.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! xx
Reply 72
I only just got an email about a deadline today, and it's for the 12th. I was not prepared. I thought it might be on the website but I couldn't find anything.
I think I'm going to send:

English coursework
Histroy essay

Special delivery even though i'm sending them a week in advance - im taking no chances lol
Reply 74
_Claudia_
I'm posting my essays today, but I really don't know how long it'll take so I've scanned them (+ the cover sheets) and I'm e-mailing them on the fifth, just to make sure it's there in case something goes wrong. I know they won't like to receive tons of emails with attachments, but I have more than enough experience with international post :s-smilie:
If I were you I'd contact them about it, I'm sure they won't mind that much. It's better to annoy the admissions staff and ensure it arrives on time than to annoy the people who will be reading it and making the decisions, I think.

I think I'm going to post mine tomorrow, and I really hope they're going to get there by the 6th. Thanks for your advice, btw. I'm going to scan and mail them, shouldn't they get there on time.

Latest

Trending

Trending