The Student Room Group

which uni is good

I have decided to do international business and markeing / business and marketing and i would like to know out of the following universities are good for this type of course out of the list below

DMU
nottingham trent
birmingham city
coventry
herfordshire

and why, and any other universities which are also good but at the same time dont require to higher of ucas points

thanks in advanced to anyone who can help

Scroll to see replies

Depends what your definition of 'good' is to you?
Woah Involunatryslacker you really really did just get the wrong end of the stick !
Reply 2
beatleboar
Depends what your definition of 'good' is to you?

in terms of repuatation and career and employment basically which one gives me a much better chance
Reply 3
can any one help
Out of all of them I would say Nottingham Trent then DMU in terms you just asked for.
Reply 5
I'd say Trent, at a guess; supposedly one of the top universities for employability. Definitely not DMU. If you really want to study at a former poly then maybe look into Oxford Brookes, which I think is slightly above Trent, though I'm not sure if they offer your course, it's worth looking into.
Reply 6
InvoluntarySlacker
Out of all of them I would say Nottingham Trent then DMU in terms you just asked for.

oh ok thanks, y would that be as i was surprise you didnt say conventry as that is higher on the league table.

and is there any other unis you woul reccommend
Reply 7
Craig_D
I'd say Trent, at a guess; supposedly one of the top universities for employability. Definitely not DMU. If you really want to study at a former poly then maybe look into Oxford Brookes, which I think is slightly above Trent, though I'm not sure if they offer your course, it's worth looking into.

how come not DMU
depends what grades you're anticipating
east
oh ok thanks, y would that be as i was surprise you didnt say conventry as that is higher on the league table.

and is there any other unis you woul reccommend

Depends on the entry requirements. Hull is a good university that have lower entry requirements for the subjects you want to do. It's best if you look around for your courses before you commit.

Look at graduation prospects i.e employability, rankings for the subject you want to do (business), compare different league tables, guardian, times and independent and check out the courses you want to do by comparing the courses modules for each year; you should find these on the university websites for each course. I'll say go on whatuni.com to see if there any reviews for the certain course or perhaps department in whatever university you are looking into.

And good luck :p:
Reply 10
around bcd-bcc-bbc
Reply 11
east
how come not DMU

I know a lot of people on TSR seem to detest university rankings but I do find that they are good for finding roughly where a university stands, and DMU generally is the lowest ranking university on your list. The Times has placed it above Birmingham City this year, but DMU is the only one on your list that regularly places in the late 80s early 90s. Trent on the other hand is a safe bet for always being 60s, often even 50s. Oxford Brookes is even better than that.
Reply 12
Craig_D
I know a lot of people on TSR seem to detest university rankings but I do find that they are good for finding roughly where a university stands, and DMU generally is the lowest ranking university on your list. The Times has placed it above Birmingham City this year, but DMU is the only one on your list that regularly places in the late 80s early 90s. Trent on the other hand is a safe bet for always being 60s, often even 50s. Oxford Brookes is even better than that.

ok thanks , what about the other ones like conventry
Reply 13
east
I have decided to do international business and markeing / business and marketing and i would like to know out of the following universities are good for this type of course out of the list below

DMU
nottingham trent
birmingham city
coventry
herfordshire

and why, and any other universities which are also good but at the same time dont require to higher of ucas points

thanks in advanced to anyone who can help

none are what most people would consider a good university...
Reply 14
east
ok thanks , what about the other ones like conventry

I just quickly found 3 of the tables and jotted down how each uni performed in them for you.

I admit that I know little about the uni of Coventry itself but it seems to place usually mid 70s, this year the Times has it as 71st, the Guardian at 75th and the Independent as 84th.

Birmingham City seems somewhat consistent, 77th in the Times, 56th in the Guardian and 69th in the Independent.

Hertfordshire jumps around quite incredibly, 66th in the Times, 100th in the Guardian but 54th in the Independent.

DMU was 66th in the Times, 82nd in the Guardian and 64th in the Independent, which I guess on reflection doesn't sound too bad actually.

Trent though still seems the best by quite a distance, and quite consistently so. 57th in the Times, 41st in Guardian and 52nd in the Independent.
Reply 15
Craig_D
I just quickly found 3 of the tables and jotted down how each uni performed in them for you.

I admit that I know little about the uni of Coventry itself but it seems to place usually mid 70s, this year the Times has it as 71st, the Guardian at 75th and the Independent as 84th.

Birmingham City seems somewhat consistent, 77th in the Times, 56th in the Guardian and 69th in the Independent.

Hertfordshire jumps around quite incredibly, 66th in the Times, 100th in the Guardian but 54th in the Independent.

DMU was 66th in the Times, 82nd in the Guardian and 64th in the Independent, which I guess on reflection doesn't sound too bad actually.

Trent though still seems the best by quite a distance, and quite consistently so. 57th in the Times, 41st in Guardian and 52nd in the Independent.

thnks alot for that
i was just looking at the univeristy of kent, ive heard its quite good aswell, well basically i noticed that it said for the business studies it wanted 300 in AS/A level with at least cc from A level do u think it worth me applying for it if my predicted grades are bcd or bbc
Reply 16
east
thnks alot for that
i was just looking at the univeristy of kent, ive heard its quite good aswell, well basically i noticed that it said for the business studies it wanted 300 in AS/A level with at least cc from A level do u think it worth me applying for it if my predicted grades are bcd or bbc

Hmm, well if you are doing 3 A2s then you would need ABC or BBB, it depends how confident you would feel of that. Maybe apply to Kent as your first choice and then apply to a few of the previous 5 universities you mentioned for your reserve?
Reply 17
Craig_D
Hmm, well if you are doing 3 A2s then you would need ABC or BBB, it depends how confident you would feel of that. Maybe apply to Kent as your first choice and then apply to a few of the previous 5 universities you mentioned for your reserve?

yeah i am, but do they includew the AS grade as part of that 280 points
Reply 18
east
yeah i am, but do they includew the AS grade as part of that 280 points

The AS that you dropped at the start of the year? Some do, but others don't - I don't think Oxbridge do for example, not in UCAS points anyway (though someone else may contradict me here?), but it's still a factor that would be definitely taken into account when they are looking at your application.
Reply 19
Craig_D
The AS that you dropped at the start of the year? Some do, but others don't - I don't think Oxbridge do for example, not in UCAS points anyway (though someone else may contradict me here?), but it's still a factor that would be definitely taken into account when they are looking at your application.

thank you very much for your help:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending