The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's a good thing, but your thread title is slightly inaccurate...........

Europe :yy:

Vaclav Klaus' attempt to be crowned "Cockblocker of the Year" :nn: :nn:
Reply 2
I hear Iceland are likely to be fast tracked into the EU. So there might be a few new members in the next couple of years. Not really many European countries left that aren't members.
Reply 3
mr-breaker
Vaclav Klaus' attempt to be crowned "Cockblocker of the Year" :nn: :nn:

Here here! haha

Psyk
I hear Iceland are likely to be fast tracked into the EU. So there might be a few new members in the next couple of years. Not really many European countries left that aren't members.

Yeah, that brings up the question of membership - in general - of the EU. Personally, I wouldn't like to see Iceland in the EU just yet. Their financial position is abysmal, and one would be let to assume a little bit of leeching on their behalf if they are members in the near future. Don't get me wrong, lovely folk, lovely country, just crap economists.
Reply 4
Puangiangi

Yeah, that brings up the question of membership - in general - of the EU. Personally, I wouldn't like to see Iceland in the EU just yet. Their financial position is abysmal, and one would be let to assume a little bit of leeching on their behalf if they are members in the near future. Don't get me wrong, lovely folk, lovely country, just crap economists.

How much of a leech can a country of 300,000 people be?
Reply 5
Psyk
How much of a leech can a country of 300,000 people be?

If you see Iceland's financial state, a lot. But as I said previously, Iceland is starting to rebuild and more effectively regulate its financial institutions, so in a few years' time (or however long it takes for them to get out of the mire) when they're on a sort of even footing, then their membership should be considered, for sure.
Reply 6
Lay off Iceland. Before her economy collapsed (which took a whole year longer than the rest of Europe) only Holland and Ireland (of the EU states) could boast a better GDP per capita than Iceland.
Reply 7
Bagration
Lay off Iceland. Before her economy collapsed (which took a whole year longer than the rest of Europe) only Holland and Ireland (of the EU states) could boast a better GDP per capita than Iceland.

Pedantry time.

Luxembourg has a higher GDP per capita than Ireland and the Netherlands and is an EU member. I think that's been the case for a while.

"Holland" is not an EU state, it's a part of an EU state. Holland is part of the Netherlands, not another name for it.
Reply 8
Psyk
Pedantry time.

Luxembourg has a higher GDP per capita than Ireland and the Netherlands and is an EU member. I think that's been the case for a while.

"Holland" is not an EU state, it's a part of an EU state. Holland is part of the Netherlands, not another name for it.
Nobody really cares about Luxembourg though. It really is pointless pedantry. And yes, I'm well aware re: Dutch political geography, thanks.
Reply 9
Bagration
Nobody really cares about Luxembourg though. It really is pointless pedantry. And yes, I'm well aware re: Dutch political geography, thanks.

All pedantry is pointless :p:
Psyk
All pedantry is pointless :p:
Well, no it isn't. Sometimes it is required/necessary.

Latest

Trending

Trending