The Student Room Group

Is getting a second master's frowned upon?

I've got a Msc in Public Policy from a top program in the US, but I've been thinking about doing something more theoretical, and get a bit into research (I don't want to do a Phd- so a master's dissertation would accomplish my goals- I think), I've been looking at LSE's MsC in Comparative Politics (Democracy) and Cambridge's Mphil in Politics... but I keep thinking that they somehow will wonder why I'm getting a second masters...

Any thoughts?
I don't think it should matter very much, tbh, esp if it will help you in your career
Cambridge will wonder in the way you infer. It doesn't mean they won't take you, it does mean that they will wonder why you aren't making more positive career progress, the word dilettante might be muttered etc. You'll need to be able to defend your situation in your application. But it still might be more appealing for them to take someone who is breaking new ground for themselves either with a first Masters or a Masters leading to a PhD. It's not as if they won't have enough applicants in those categories.
Reply 3
any other thoughts?
Reply 4
If your main goal is getting back into research, wouldn't a research masters degree suit you better than a second taught MSc in a similar subject?
Reply 5
I hate to say it but multiple Masters degrees is becoming quite normal in industry. In my previous job, when I was considering candidates for an entry level role with a BSc 2:1 minimum requirement, very few applicants had less than a Masters. Some had two.

Hopefully this feedback from industry is reaching the universities however it stands to reason that some will not understand why you are looking to study another Masters rather than progress to doctoral or go to industry... Just another anecdote but a friend just entered a Masters programme in London and was surprised that all the other applicants he met at the open evening had Masters degrees already.

A potentially major issue the matter of ELQ - (higher fees due to having an equivalent level qualification), however some unis are in disarray over this and forget to handle it (I know two cases from friends that recently slipped through without being charged ELQ fees).
Reply 6
lortz10583
I've got a Msc in Public Policy from a top program in the US, but I've been thinking about doing something more theoretical, and get a bit into research (I don't want to do a Phd- so a master's dissertation would accomplish my goals- I think), I've been looking at LSE's MsC in Comparative Politics (Democracy) and Cambridge's Mphil in Politics... but I keep thinking that they somehow will wonder why I'm getting a second masters...

Any thoughts?

I want to do the same thing you did, except the other way around: go to Cambridge and then finish with a degree in public policy. Which US programs would you recommend?
Reply 7
hobnob
If your main goal is getting back into research, wouldn't a research masters degree suit you better than a second taught MSc in a similar subject?

For LSE's program I'm thinking about the research track, and for Cambridge's, I would assume that the MPhil is more research oriented than a regular taught master's (although I've read that Cambridge's Mphil's are just taught masters with another name... is there any truth to that?)... I'm still to contact both departments to ask further info though...

... regarding the subject.. it would be totally different, I did my Public Policy degree in a very quant oriented school, and my concentration was policy analysis... well my other concentration was International Policy, so I guess is not all that different... but in any case I want to do academic research on democracy, institutions and legitimacy...

I've also taken a look at research fellowships but have noticed that they are mostly oriented to Phd students...
Reply 8
joshlyman
I want to do the same thing you did, except the other way around: go to Cambridge and then finish with a degree in public policy. Which US programs would you recommend?

Just as anything in life... it depends on what you want to do... I wanted to get quant skills so I went to Carnegie Mellon, if you're into enviromental stuff you might want to consider Berkeley, Harvard for international affairs... it all depends...

I read in some other post that you're also applying to Sciences Po, what program are you looking at? I've thought about that school too(although I have to polish my French first!)... but when I was looking for general information it gave me the impression that it is harder to get funding for a master's in France...
Reply 9
lortz10583
Just as anything in life... it depends on what you want to do... I wanted to get quant skills so I went to Carnegie Mellon, if you're into enviromental stuff you might want to consider Berkeley, Harvard for international affairs... it all depends...

I read in some other post that you're also applying to Sciences Po, what program are you looking at? I've thought about that school too(although I have to polish my French first!)... but when I was looking for general information it gave me the impression that it is harder to get funding for a master's in France...

Much, yes. Financial aid is need-based, and for French nationals only if I'm not mistaken. But honestly, I wouldn't apply if I were you, it's a step down from Carnegie Mellon, and waaay overpriced for the services you get in return.
Reply 10
threeportdrift
the word dilettante might be muttered

You mean with respect to my professional or academic career?
lortz10583
You mean with respect to my professional or academic career?

That you might be someone who just collects degrees and never actually applies them effectively anywhere, be that academia or outside. I don't think there is any preference for what you do with your degree, simply a preference for those that will do something with it.
Reply 12
A friend of mine did a Masters at Oxford and is now just finishing a Masters at LSE... Claims LSE stands for Lets See Europe since he's been on the soccer (football), ultimate frisbee etc teams and seems to get to travel all over the place playing sports. Also a self confessed perpetual student. No one at LSE appeared to be bothered that he already had a Masters degree in more or less the same subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending