The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jelephant
So can music :dontknow:

A lot of music can relect life :confused: Plenty of people write music about how they're feeling, not just silly things like the Fast food song or whatever. People write music about love and pain and happiness and betrayal just the same as any novelist does.

Could you please give an example where the music reflect life (not the lyrics :p: )? Would you explain why it works; why the form of the song shows the meaning; how it's acheived. If anyone can analyse a piece of music for me and say why it's worth having, I'll rep them. (on a different acount with more rep power :wink:

Why is the onion always ahead of humanity? (Thougha 6.8 is a bit generous)
Reply 22
magicsharkman
Could you please give an example where the music reflect life (not the lyrics :p: )? Would you explain why it works; why the form of the song shows the meaning; how it's acheived. If anyone can analyse a piece of music for me and say why it's worth having, I'll rep them. (on a different acount with more rep power :wink:

:hmmm: Is this but a clever ruse to have somebody do your homework for you?
I like music, actually I love it. But it annoys me when people say they couldn't live without music or music is their life or w/e. Seriously, there's more to life than just music.
BJack
:hmmm: Is this but a clever ruse to have somebody do your homework for you?

Nope. If it was homework I would make up **** about major and minor and tempos. I don't even do music.

And I could think of better ways of getting people to do my homework :wink:
******* Blasphemy!
Mask Of Sanity
******* Blasphemy!

Aha, does music work in some sort of metaphysical framework? The 'voice of God' perhaps?
OneStepAhead
Everyone likes music but u

Why do you like music?
Not liking music is sad :sadnod:
True music is art in it's rawest form.
To have meaning without explanation, to be truly personal interpretation is actually pretty extraordinary. Have you never listened to a piece of music and felt it just soar within you and when it just takes your breath away?
Or been to a gig where the music is so loud that you can feel the bass inside of yourself?
I hope you do because music is one of the greatest art forms to create emotion within us. :smile:
magicsharkman
Aha, does music work in some sort of metaphysical framework? The 'voice of God' perhaps?

Godly, yes. It contains divine intervention. Omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. :adore:
Music is a form of art, which tends to have meaning.

You're just listening to generic crap people make to get famous
Thank you for all your interesting responses. I need to go now but I'll read your replies later. Perhaps some examples, might illustrate people points better as it seems to be a bit ineffable. I don't understand what it is about a piece which makes it emotive or meaningful.
Couldn't live without music.
magicsharkman
Why do you like music?

Because I can daydream and relax/chill/chillax to it :yup: :yes:
Reply 35
ToastyCoke
Couldn't live without music.

This :smile:
magicsharkman

There are lots of examples. In the most simple form, if it's in a major key it sounds happy, wheras in a minor key it's sad and depressing. It could be fast moving, with staccato notes and "jumps" in the music, which in a major key could sound very excited as if something is happening then and there (I'm thinking Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture), or in a minor key would sound quite angry and frustrated, like they're getting violent- maybe something like O Fortuna. Alternatively, if the music is slow moving it might be calm and peaceful (I love walking by the river back home with Canon in D by Pachelbel playing), or sad and upset- the Moonlight Sonata for example.

Bearing in mind this is only a very watered down analysis and it would take forever to go into detail, just like any good work by Shakespeare or your writer of choice.
I love music, I think you can relate to some songs at times depending on your mood etc.
Reply 38
For some, there is nothing more beautiful than classical music. At first I thought it was extremely lame and uncool... but then I began to listen and didnt care whatsoever. Explore all music, jazz included, and you will find something that be worth listening to.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
Reply 39
magicsharkman
Which has meaning which can be decyphired and related to the human condition.

As such does music its the same principal. The use of words and imagery in poem require the creative interpretation and common ground of the reader as does music. It evokes moods through the use of it's stylistics just like writing that we are precondined to respond to.

For example the basic concept of major and minor key music :
major - happy
minor- sad

four to the floor beat - dance etc.

I'd suggest finding music where the musical characteristics are similar to that of the literature you enjoy.

(quote if replyin please)

Latest