The Student Room Group

do i have more of a chance with widening access?

ok ive just found out i can apply to foundation because of financial situation however im also applying to A100 (normal 5 yr courses) does this still mean i can apply and is this one of my 4 choices or can it be
5th?
(oh this course you can have any a levels so doesnt matter that i have bio and chem a levels)
if i meet the requirements for 5 yr course can i also apply for foundation east anglia want bbc/e and am i more likely to get in if i include a foundation course??

this has really excited me please asnwers deadline tomorrow!!

Scroll to see replies

widening access and foundation?

am i more likely to get into medicine if i apply to some of these courses?
Reply 2
All the info that you may need is here: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=79
Reply 3
ihateusernames
ok ive just found out i can apply to foundation because of financial situation however im also applying to A100 (normal 5 yr courses) does this still mean i can apply and is this one of my 4 choices or can it be
5th?
(oh this course you can have any a levels so doesnt matter that i have bio and chem a levels)
if i meet the requirements for 5 yr course can i also apply for foundation east anglia want bbc/e and am i more likely to get in if i include a foundation course??

this has really excited me please asnwers deadline tomorrow!!

Foundation courses ( 6 year: with year 0 ) are regarded as one of you 4 choices for medicine for instance if you apply for Soton's BM6 that's one of your choices so you have 3 more for medicine. :smile:
Orihime
All the info that you may need is here: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=79

thanks

on my ucas application do i have to fill out extra things?
Orihime
Foundation courses ( 6 year: with year 0 ) are regarded as one of you 4 choices for medicine for instance if you apply for Soton's BM6 that's one of your choices so you have 3 more for medicine. :smile:

do i have more of a chance this way?
or is it just as competitive to get in so i m ight as well apply to 5 year (A100)
Give us some info why don't you...
OrmondDrone
Give us some info why don't you...

sorry like what? because my parents havent been to uni and i get ema i can apply to soton widening access they want CCC im predicted AAB or AAA (not sure what they put for english) so im also applying to 5 year course im also doing biology and chemstry

i'm eligible but just wondering if i have more of a chance to get into medicine this way or if its the same thing might as well just apply to 5 year course
Reply 9
The 6 year courses are way competitive than the 5 year ones
but this 6 year course at soton is not for the non science people
it is still for those who do bio and chem, same as normal 5 year, just who are first to go to uni etc..

so why is the A102 more competitive
infernalcradle
it is still for those who do bio and chem, same as normal 5 year, just who are first to go to uni etc..

Offtopic: in your spoiler (in your sig), did you mean to write the incorrect lyrics?
Reply 12
infernalcradle

A lot of people can apply if they are going to get lower grades but not everyone knows about it. You could apply to other unis 5 year courses where they also encourage widening access -eg Leeds, Manchester
but you might not need to as they do reduced offers and you don't need that. Your form has probably gone now so let me know where you applied (you can still send forms to them until 26th explaining your circumstances). I will check on here a few times tonight in case you need any help.
conorcd
A lot of people can apply if they are going to get lower grades but not everyone knows about it. You could apply to other unis 5 year courses where they also encourage widening access -eg Leeds, Manchester
but you might not need to as they do reduced offers and you don't need that. Your form has probably gone now so let me know where you applied (you can still send forms to them until 26th explaining your circumstances). I will check on here a few times tonight in case you need any help.

Thanks a lot, but I am going to be applying next year...the idea was that they give lower offers, but I was wondering if this scheme was something that was widely known about, therefore meaning I would get stiff competition, however soton is the only uni to do this scheme....would I be wasting a choice by applying for it?
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Offtopic: in your spoiler (in your sig), did you mean to write the incorrect lyrics?

Yes, I wrote them wrong on purpose
Widening access courses are more competitive than the standard courses (especially Southampton). If you're applying purely on the thought you've got a better chance, don't bother and just apply for the 5 year courses. But if you have other reasons of wanting to do an extra year, that's another story.
Reply 16
infernalcradle
Thanks a lot, but I am going to be applying next year...the idea was that they give lower offers, but I was wondering if this scheme was something that was widely known about, therefore meaning I would get stiff competition, however soton is the only uni to do this scheme....would I be wasting a choice by applying for it?

I am part of a scheme where certain unis give reduced offers for the 5 year course but you have to be linked to certain unis through where you live- the scheme is being expanded next year. If your school/college has a local or linked uni, let me know. I have a friend who is applying to southampton and kings 6 year and leeds 5 year thru this scheme and I have applied to 4 unis that will give me reduced offers if they make me an offer (but no greater chance of an offer than people not in the scheme).The chart on tsr doesn't include my scheme.
conorcd
I am part of a scheme where certain unis give reduced offers for the 5 year course but you have to be linked to certain unis through where you live- the scheme is being expanded next year. If your school/college has a local or linked uni, let me know. I have a friend who is applying to southampton and kings 6 year and leeds 5 year thru this scheme and I have applied to 4 unis that will give me reduced offers if they make me an offer (but no greater chance of an offer than people not in the scheme).The chart on tsr doesn't include my scheme.

I don't know if my school is linked to any unis, how can I find out???
What is the scheme you are on called?
Reply 18
infernalcradle

It's not the only one.
Sarky
It's not the only one.

Who else does the widening access course, that isn't for people that haven't done science A-levels

Latest

Trending

Trending