The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Chemistry Interview

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for 2011 entry!

Applied for MChem (F101) but I'm starting to love the idea of studying in the USA or australia or canada...

I sent my application ages ago, since it was a medicine application (with sheffield chemistry and ucl chemistry as back ups (since i'm kinda 50/50 on what I want to do - thinking maybe chemistry then medicine postgrad, not sure !)

Got asked by the famous (on this thread at least) Dr Dewi Lewis for a 2nd personal statement, of 2000 characters purely about chemistry so my application is 'fairly judged in line with everyone else' which I sent off a couple of days ago.

Anybody with experience from this years interviews, give us a heads up on what you see/hear/get asked! will be appreciated :tongue:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Wot the eff?

i sent Dr Lewis an email like a week ago and he still hasn't responded..

F U dr lewis..... in case you do read this.. ive just been tsraped
Reply 162
got my interview next tuesday!! so nervous ..... any tips for the interview and dress code? cheers :smile:
Original post by kalok
got my interview next tuesday!! so nervous ..... any tips for the interview and dress code? cheers :smile:

I had mine a few days ago. In terms of dress code, be comfortable but smart e.g. shirt. Some guys turned up in suits, some in jeans, so it varies.
Tips for the interview are just explain your answers thoroughly, especially for the chemistry questions, so they can see how you think.
Prepare for the obvious qs e.g. Why chemistry? Why UCL? etc
Good luck!:smile:
Hey guys.

I'm a third year chemist at UCL (MSci stream) so any questions just quote me :smile:
Original post by Couldxbe
Hey guys.

I'm a third year chemist at UCL (MSci stream) so any questions just quote me :smile:

hey i saw that you are studying chemistry at ucl, i was also thinking of applying. Out of interest what did you get for your gcse's and how you finding the course and ucl?... also on the website i saw that the standard offer was aaa - bbb, so are they lenient on their offer.. lets say will they let in ABCa or similar etc etc?
thanks
Original post by Soppe
hey i saw that you are studying chemistry at ucl, i was also thinking of applying. Out of interest what did you get for your gcse's and how you finding the course and ucl?... also on the website i saw that the standard offer was aaa - bbb, so are they lenient on their offer.. lets say will they let in ABCa or similar etc etc?
thanks

GCSEs: 6A*s 4As
A levels: 4As (Chem, Hist, Maths GS) and 2As at AS (Biology and Further)

Course: Demanding, but fun! Be prepared for a lot of contact hours... second year is the killer really - I had 5 9ams, and 3 afternoons of labs for the majority of second year.

UCL: very good university, halls are a little old and need a bit of attention. Chemistry department is being modernized as I type :p:.

My offer was ABB, but some got AAA and even AAB! I don't know if they're particularly lenient about that - UCL is not letting anyone in with missed grades..
Ahh thanks.. How come on their website it says BBB then?
Original post by Soppe
Ahh thanks.. How come on their website it says BBB then?

I was talking about leniency. They give BBB offers to people who do well at the interview but who they think will not meet the grades for a higher offer I believe. However, just because ABC is equivalent in UCAS points doesn't mean that they'll accept it... because you have essentially failed to meet your offer.

That being said, not many people get BBB offers!
I was talking about leniency. They give BBB offers to people who do well at the interview but who they think will not meet the grades for a higher offer I believe. However, just because ABC is equivalent in UCAS points doesn't mean that they'll accept it... because you have essentially failed to meet your offer.

That being said, not many people get BBB offers!

Oh right ... Thanks

Hey do you know any one else from the admissions departments email other than dr Lewis, as I emailed him 10 days ago and he still hasn't responded.. So maybe a lectures email or some one else from the Chem department.?

Thanks
Reply 170
Original post by mirzs004
I got interview on tuesday as well and im UBER nervous.... any reassurance frm any1 its gna b ok??? is it highly likely tht im gna get a place or is it still 50:50??? :s-smilie:

kalok
x

woods.vanessa
x

Hey, were you notified via email or post for your interview letter? :smile:
Hey guys.

If you've been invited to an interview does that basically mean you will receive an offer? I applied for the MEng in EE, and my interview is on wednesday.

thanks
Reply 172
Original post by i_hate_teeth
If you've been invited to an interview does that basically mean you will receive an offer? I applied for the MEng in EE, and my interview is on wednesday.

thanks

Did you get your interview via post or email?

And you'll most likely get an offer, yes, good luck. :smile:
Original post by -beads-
Did you get your interview via post or email?

And you'll most likely get an offer, yes, good luck. :smile:

It was via email, the interview is for electronic engineering
Reply 174
interview on Tuesday !!
Original post by Soppe
Oh right ... Thanks

Hey do you know any one else from the admissions departments email other than dr Lewis, as I emailed him 10 days ago and he still hasn't responded.. So maybe a lectures email or some one else from the Chem department.?

Thanks

I don't think my lecturers would be very impressed if I started handing out emails...

Give him chance, he's a very busy man :p:!
say if you ask to change an interview date, is it likely they will see you another time. this UCL im talking about?
Reply 177
I have an interview for chemistry with french at UCL, and I am so nervous! I really think I am such an average student, and even though it isn't until the end of february I am already dreading it. I was kind of pressured into doing Chemistry, and I am doing it more because there was nothing else I wanted to study. I feel really bad as I don't want to go to the interview, yet there will have been people rejected that wanted it more than me. I know if I don't go everyone won't understand, I don't know what to do :/
Reply 178
Original post by LauraMxx
I have an interview for chemistry with french at UCL, and I am so nervous! I really think I am such an average student, and even though it isn't until the end of february I am already dreading it. I was kind of pressured into doing Chemistry, and I am doing it more because there was nothing else I wanted to study. I feel really bad as I don't want to go to the interview, yet there will have been people rejected that wanted it more than me. I know if I don't go everyone won't understand, I don't know what to do :/

Hey don't worry about it the interviews are fine. It's a pretty relaxed day to be honest, you just go and talk to current students and ask them questions then have a 15-20 minute interview which is more of a chat with a few straight forward chemistry questions thrown in. They won't grill you like they do at Oxbridge. Plus you get a free lunch consisting of m&s sandwiches :wink:
Original post by james s
1. There are usually about 40 people, depending on the day. Don't worry as everyone gets to know each other pretty well.

2. Smart, casual, I've seen everything in between. It might be something used as small talk but not anything about your place!

I help out on the UCAS visit days (interviews being a part of it, but not solely what you'll be doing), so if you have any questions then just ask in here (quote me) or PM if you'd rather.

Hi mate,

Any specific questions we should prep for? I am a mature student and haven't done A-Level Chem for a little while but applied for Chem - dropped out of uni this year to reapply for the Chem because I loved it so much at A-level and was good at it.

Obviously I'm a little rusty. I'm resitting some maths modules in college to get my grades up to apply this year. Was going to revise Chem once I got my June exams out the way so is be fully prepped when I attended in October 17'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending