The Student Room Group

Do all students have tinnitus (ringing in ears)?

Clubbing really isn’t my thing, but I went to one for the second time ever a few nights ago. I didn’t spend much time on the dance floor (really, it’s best for everyone that way), and was mostly in the ‘quieter’ areas. When I got home, my ears were ringing- as you’d expect, but they were also physically hurting- something I hadn’t experienced before. The pain died away after a day, but I can still hear the ringing four days later (similar to the high-pitched whine of a CRT TV). I wouldn’t have minded as much if this had been the result of a concert, but I hate the idea that my hearing may have been damaged by Lady f****** Gaga.

Anyway, this got me thinking; most students enjoy clubbing and do it regularly. If I’m suffering this much from enduring no more than an hour of noise, surely tinnitus is something the majority of students have?

I'm also wondering whether mine, at four days in, is here to stay.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have it, kind of, but not from clubbing. I have a tendency to listen to music on my earphones far too loud, and I only suffer for it at night time when there are no other stimuli - the minute I have something to concentrate on, it goes.

I have found that if I go for long stretches without listening to my iPod, it lessens a bit, and it's not debilitating in any way, but I am inclined to be a little more careful with my hearing in future!
Reply 2
Anything louder than -4db long term isn't good for you. If you have a problem going to night clubs, wear earplugs to absorb the large amplitudes so it doesn't damage your ear drum.
giran
Anything louder than -4db long term isn't good for you. If you have a problem going to night clubs, wear earplugs to absorb the large amplitudes so it doesn't damage your ear drum.

I believe the safe limit is 85db for 8 hours a day. However, as giran says, wear earplugs.

No, not all students have hearing problems. Not all students stand next to speaker stacks every night. It's all relative. I spent 3 years working in a nightclub and my hearing is just fine.
Reply 4
ShinyApple
I believe the safe limit is 85db for 8 hours a day. However, as giran says, wear earplugs.

No, not all students have hearing problems. Not all students stand next to speaker stacks every night. It's all relative. I spent 3 years working in a nightclub and my hearing is just fine.

You're quite right, I was referring to -4db in the club though, assuming she spends about 4-5 hours in there on average.
Reply 5
ShinyApple

Of course I didn't mean literally all students, but you knew that really. It's just that I'm feeling the effects after just an hour of noise (standing away from the speakers), so I'd assume that since most students expose themselves to more noise than I do, they would have hearing damage to some extent.
Is there no way of battling against it once you have it? Whats the 'cure' or making it more tolerable method? If there is one.
Reply 7
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
is all i hear, all day.
Reply 8
Blimey, that would indicate that the club was probably playing the music far too loud. The limit in a nightclub is 102dB I think, or it was 2 years ago. If it is above that (which it sounds like it was to give you prolonged hearing loss for this long) then you could talk to the management and ask them to monitor their SPLs.

I used to work as a sound engineer at university and we had to be VERY careful of our SPL, next to the speakers, 3 metres away and in the centre of the dancefloor. It could not be 102dB next to the speakers and average less than 95dB in total I think, was a while ago now!

I always used to wear ear plugs, but then my hearing was my living so...

You should not have lost your hearing and have a ringing after 1 hour exposure, that is insane.

But yeh, i would agree with you, regular clubbers will have hearing loss. Just like most bands have hearing loss due to regular gigging on loud stages/studios.
Reply 9
beatleboar
Is there no way of battling against it once you have it? Whats the 'cure' or making it more tolerable method? If there is one.

No, once you have damaged your hearing, it is damaged for life. Your ears repair somewhat, but very loud noises which damage the ear drum will leave your ears permanently damaged. You don't go deaf, but frequencies are harder to pick up/distinguish.

There are tests online, people below 25 should be able to hear up to 18KHz. I can, but not many people I know can, this is indicative of permanent hearing damage.
I certainly have it, but I've had it since I can remember.
Reply 11
if you go to an especially loud club your ears may ring for a few days but it goes away, and i've found that doing it regularly my ears don't ring at all anymore. if your not a regular club goer than its pretty normal and it will disappear soon!
Reply 12
First gig I ever went to was Man O'War when I was fifteen, in what was basically an indoor basketball court. Their stacks when right to the ceiling, and you could see the building move when you went outside, and that was just when the Roadies were tuning their kit.

My ears were ringing for about two week afterwards, I even went to see my GP about it. I've got no idea if it damaged my hearing, but when I was in the TA four years later I could still hear helicopters coming in at least a minute before anyone else. Almost got the nickname 'Radar' actually...
gbduo
No, once you have damaged your hearing, it is damaged for life. Your ears repair somewhat, but very loud noises which damage the ear drum will leave your ears permanently damaged. You don't go deaf, but frequencies are harder to pick up/distinguish.

There are tests online, people below 25 should be able to hear up to 18KHz. I can, but not many people I know can, this is indicative of permanent hearing damage.

So there is no progression in terms of medicine as of yet? Ok thanks. :frown: lol
Reply 14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G60hM1W_mk Don't worry about low frequencies, it is the high frequencies which nightclubs damage the most.
Reply 15
beatleboar
So there is no progression in terms of medicine as of yet? Ok thanks. :frown: lol

No, not to recover lost frequencies. Apart from hearing aids, but your hearing is proper bad if you need a hearing aid.
When i was younger I use to spend the entire night right infront of the speaker stack because there was always more room to dance there (all the sensible people keep their distance i guess)

i do have tinnitus now, i was an idiot but its not exactly a life threatening (or even noticeable tbh) condition.
Reply 17
gbduo
You should not have lost your hearing and have a ringing after 1 hour exposure, that is insane.

...where there's a blame there's a claim :awesome: . The people I was with (regular clubbers) agreed that it was pretty loud, but it was a newish place so I would guess they're watching the dBs.

gbduo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G60hM1W_mk Don't worry about low frequencies, it is the high frequencies which nightclubs damage the most.

Hmmm, I stopped hearing after 13KHz- that's a worry. I did a (different) test like that a few months ago and went pretty high. I'm hoping it's down to my speakers, but they're quite good :frown:

mary21
if you go to an especially loud club your ears may ring for a few days but it goes away, and i've found that doing it regularly my ears don't ring at all anymore. if your not a regular club goer than its pretty normal and it will disappear soon!

That was what I was hoping- kind of like my ears losing their virginity (eeeew!). We'll see if that's the case, but I don't plan on clubbing again anytime soon.
I've not got ear ringing from clubs yet.

I've got food poisoning from a dodgy pasty and a lovely purple rash to go with it though! Marvellous!
Reply 19
Frannnnn
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
is all i hear, all day.

Same here, but I got mine from ear infection when I was about 10 :awesome:

Latest