The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I sometimes get ringing, but never pain.
Unfortunately I have tinnitus. I haven't been to many concerts, neither have I been clubbing much. I was just a bit of an idiot when I was young and had my audio cassette playing on far too high when walking to school every single day, the same when I had a cd player. I still listen to my ipod a lot. To be honest, nearly every day.

It doesn't affect me that much to be honest. I only hear it in the night whilst I'm trying to sleep. But I do miss the silence of the night. It's sort of nice hearing people my age also have it. Sort of less worrying in a strange way. I know of a couple of friends who have it also.

How bad do some people have it on here? Does it affect their sleep much? Any techniques to help it?
Geritak
I have it, kind of, but not from clubbing. I have a tendency to listen to music on my earphones far too loud, and I only suffer for it at night time when there are no other stimuli - the minute I have something to concentrate on, it goes.

I have found that if I go for long stretches without listening to my iPod, it lessens a bit, and it's not debilitating in any way, but I am inclined to be a little more careful with my hearing in future!

That's the exact same with me , when there's no sound it's annoying. Also it doesn't go , it's just when there's other sound you don't take notice of it much.
Reply 23
Maximum Velocity
That's the exact same with me , when there's no sound it's annoying. Also it doesn't go , it's just when there's other sound you don't take notice of it much.

Lol, that is what I meant. I know it's physiological and irreversible, I was just saying I don't hear it when I have other things to listen to.
If you go to concerts like I do then you will get it. I don't go to clubbing but gigs where a bunch of 100 or so people are in one little room can damage your ears.

I have this constant vibration in my left ear it's like the sound of the cars on a motorway just a few yards in front of my house except it's permament and it's there wherever I go. I hear it most at night when I'm watching tv. It goes after a few days the ringing.
Geritak
Lol, that is what I meant. I know it's physiological and irreversible, I was just saying I don't hear it when I have other things to listen to.

Oh right cool :smile: anyways I'm going bed lol so tired (N) night x
gbduo
Blimey, that would indicate that the club was probably playing the music far too loud. The limit in a nightclub is 102dB I think, or it was 2 years ago. If it is above that (which it sounds like it was to give you prolonged hearing loss for this long) then you could talk to the management and ask them to monitor their SPLs.

I used to work as a sound engineer at university and we had to be VERY careful of our SPL, next to the speakers, 3 metres away and in the centre of the dancefloor. It could not be 102dB next to the speakers and average less than 95dB in total I think, was a while ago now!

I always used to wear ear plugs, but then my hearing was my living so...

You should not have lost your hearing and have a ringing after 1 hour exposure, that is insane.

But yeh, i would agree with you, regular clubbers will have hearing loss. Just like most bands have hearing loss due to regular gigging on loud stages/studios.

i do pretty much the same thing as you at our Student Union and we run at about 115+ at the pit barrier, and dont have any official red tape to worry about :/

helped run the 'valve sound system' before and thats mentally loud, no problems with any officials saying it was too loud
Reply 27
Since this has been on my mind all week, I decided to get a doctor’s opinion. When I explained my symptoms he gave me a look that said ‘is that it?’ (I guess I am a bit of a hypochondriac :awesome: ). Apparently my symptoms are pretty normal for someone who isn’t regularly exposed to high volume, and not necessarily a sign of permanent damage. He reckoned the ringing would be gone in a week or so.
I am very cautious when out a clubs and gigs these days. The few ocassions when I've had ringing ears after being in those kinds of places has been so distressing that its totally put me off loud music. I just can't cope with it. After going to Oceana my ears were ringing for 3 days and I couldn't do anything!
Reply 29
crazyjoyce
i do pretty much the same thing as you at our Student Union and we run at about 115+ at the pit barrier, and dont have any official red tape to worry about :/

helped run the 'valve sound system' before and thats mentally loud, no problems with any officials saying it was too loud

Serious?! Bloody hell, we had Stoke Council all over us, especially when doing live music and bands, but even on club nights.

We were also restricted on the amount of strobe lighting we could do, and the frequency (no more than 5 flashes per second I think, not sure, long time ago now!). They were really anal about it.

Last thing I did before leaving was install a turbosound line array system, 80KW, the sound is soooo good!

Were they proper valve amps then? You can get such a good sound out of old school valve amplifiers and such a bigger punch for an equivalent SS amp. Shame about the price/unreliability/heat!
gbduo
Serious?! Bloody hell, we had Stoke Council all over us, especially when doing live music and bands, but even on club nights.

We were also restricted on the amount of strobe lighting we could do, and the frequency (no more than 5 flashes per second I think, not sure, long time ago now!). They were really anal about it.

Last thing I did before leaving was install a turbosound line array system, 80KW, the sound is soooo good!

Were they proper valve amps then? You can get such a good sound out of old school valve amplifiers and such a bigger punch for an equivalent SS amp. Shame about the price/unreliability/heat!

yep, no limits or anything imposed by the authorities, quite lucky i guess then! and again, no restrictions on lighting either!

we use nexo alpha at the moment but hopefully getting a line array soon

the valve sound system was put together by drum and bass DJ's, its a mega loud 96kW system tuned lower for the d&b, have a look here - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=81362
Reply 31
crazyjoyce
yep, no limits or anything imposed by the authorities, quite lucky i guess then! and again, no restrictions on lighting either!

we use nexo alpha at the moment but hopefully getting a line array soon

the valve sound system was put together by drum and bass DJ's, its a mega loud 96kW system tuned lower for the d&b, have a look here - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=81362

Oh...I feel stupid, I should have known that! I have never experienced that system, but it looks...interesting! Lots of bass, I doubt there is much clarity, but hey who needs it for drum n bass!

Ah ok, Nexo are alright I suppose, certainly better than my custom cabs that we had before the turbosound line array! Just had 12xJBL 18" subs, and 12xJBL 10" Mid drivers and 6x JBL Tweeters. Sounded OK, but was always limited by the cheapness of it. Always had to get in a rented system for live which was a bit expensive. We had Crown amps that were very good, just driving cheap ass speakers (Junk But Loud!).

Did fine on a club night, but failed miserably live. The new line array is pretty crap on a club night, but live it is just exquisite.
Is this some sort of tin related disease? From overconsuming tin? :wtf:

People these days, add "itus" to the end of words and expect people to know what they're talking about.

Numpties.
Reply 33
Lefty Leo
Is this some sort of tin related disease? From overconsuming tin? :wtf:

People these days, add "itus" to the end of words and expect people to know what they're talking about.

Numpties.

I thought most people knew what tinnitus was :confused: . Oh well, I've edited the subject for you :wink:
Altocirrus
I thought most people knew what tinnitus was :confused: . Oh well, I've edited the subject for you :wink:

I was kidding matey, but thanks for the consideration :h:
Reply 35
Oh ****, I ony went up to 11khz on that test
Reply 36
Ok, it's been over two weeks now and it hasn't gone :frown:

Been to the doctor twice and it doesn't seem there's anything he can do. This is really getting me down- I can't seem to concentrate on anything and I need a good night's sleep. I just can't accept that it might be here for good.

Those who suffer from it- do you have any tips on how to cope?
Reply 37
Altocirrus
Those who suffer from it- do you have any tips on how to cope?

Beer, getting pissed allows you to sleep through any discomfort. Of course the slight side effect of being useless the next day if you take it too far, plus possibly making a tit of yourself when drinking are risks that you need to consider... :wink:

Latest