The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jay McConville

It might also be worth remembering that TSR is visited (and contributed to) by teachers, admissions tutors and other non-students. Perhaps he even saw your source (and recent comments about getting back at him) here; this would be especially easy if you really are Jay McConville from Liverpool.
Reply 21
Your teacher sounds like an idiot! I think you should get a cup fill it with sand and say oooooo sir look at this really rare caterpillar i found, when he peers into it throw the sand in his eyes! That'll teach him!!:biggrin:
bex1986
Your teacher sounds like an idiot!

Actually, if you had read the whole thread, you would have realised that his teacher sounds like a very perceptive person.
Good bloke
Paraphrasing someone else's work is plagiarism if you don't (a) say what you are doing, (b) place any exact phrases used in inverted commas and (c) credit the original author. Assuming you didn't do this, I think you are bang to rights.

It's not like I have copied someone else's essay and said it was mine, I looked for information put it in my own words this is different from just copying. Right?
Reply 24
k.
Reply 25
Good bloke
Actually, if you had read the whole thread, you would have realised that his teacher sounds like a very perceptive person.

Actually i did, and i believe that at As/A level you should use as many research methods as you want and if your teacher puts boundaries on this then he is an idiot!!
Jay McConville
It's not like I have copied someone else's essay and said it was mine, I looked for information put it in my own words this is different from just copying. Right?

Wrong. What you say you did was clearly plagiarism.
bex1986
Actually i did, and i believe that at As/A level you should use as many research methods as you want and if your teacher puts boundaries on this then he is an idiot!!

Hardly. Research is one thing, but paraphrasing someone else's work is plagiarism and, obviously, unacceptable.
Good bloke
Wrong. What you say you did was clearly plagiarism.

you are applying too strict a test to the affair, paraphrasing is not plagarism at that level, he isnt writing a dissertation here but an A level essay, crediting the sources etc is not expected at that level unless you use them word for word.

otherwise all of my coursework at school level would have been plagarised because all i ever did was cannibalise the work of others I found of the internet into my own voice!
If I were you I would thoroughly go through my essay and see if anywhere you have: Copied anything from sources and not acknowledged that fact - Re-worded large chunks to the point where you may as well have copied it - Just changed certain words or orders and actually NOT written it in your own words.

If you do this and change a fair bit then maybe hand it in again like this. If you haven't done any of the above (or anything else which is considered plagiarism) then take it to head of year and ask them for a second opinion.

Assuming you do try to re-write it in a less plagiarised form, aoplogise profusely for arguing in the first place and claim you didn't realise what you'd done. Imo it is easy to plagiarise without knowing by simply copying ideas and changing odd words :yes:
If you use an idea that is not yours to supplement your essay, you have to acknowledge where this idea came from. If it's not in your class notes, you need to reference it. Even if you reword it, it's still not your original thought. So you need to 'give credit' as it were. If you make a point which refers to information which is not in your class notes, insert a footnote in the text and provide the author, title and page reference of a book or the author, URL and access date for a website.
LiveFastDieYoung
you are applying too strict a test to the affair, paraphrasing is not plagarism at that level, he isnt writing a dissertation here but an A level essay, crediting the sources etc is not expected at that level unless you use them word for word.

otherwise all of my coursework at school level would have been plagarised because all i ever did was cannibalise the work of others I found of the internet into my own voice!

When I was studying at A level I was under the impression that re-wording other peoples work was plagiarism... A few students even got done for it as they literally re-worded a whole essay. Imo people wouldn't have to paraphrase if they understood the original text/ whatever.
Reply 32
"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from many, it's research."

- Wilson Mizner (1876-1933) :p:
Reply 33
Good bloke
Hardly. Research is one thing, but paraphrasing someone else's work is plagiarism and, obviously, unacceptable.

Oh come on! At as/a level i hardly think thats appropriate. It's not like he's researching for his phd.

To the original poster - did you reference your sources?
LiveFastDieYoung

Well, (a) I'm not applying any test to his work; someone far more important is - his teacher; (b) uncredited paraphrasing is always plagiarism in any academic context; (c) just because you got away with it doesn't mean others will, or that you would again.
But we all know that it is plagiarised, and so does the teacher. He may even have read the OP's original thread and the text I quoted earlier, much of which is probably in his essay.
shorty.loves.angels
When I was studying at A level I was under the impression that re-wording other peoples work was plagiarism... A few students even got done for it as they literally re-worded a whole essay. Imo people wouldn't have to paraphrase if they understood the original text/ whatever.

at Alevel you need very little origional work, every topic has been done to death therefore you will never come up with something new and its impossible NOT to be paraphrasing someone elses content in one way or another.

i didnt mean literally going through an essay changing it word for word, but you can rewrite anothers essay with the same content, with different weightings etc and that would not be plagarism...
Good bloke
Well, (a) I'm not applying any test to his work; someone far more important is - his teacher; (b) uncredited paraphrasing is always plagiarism in any academic context; (c) just because you got away with it doesn't mean others will, or that you would again.

what do you mean by paraphrasing here?? because im pretty certain that if i read an essay on topic X, which said ABC (as content), and i was also writing an essay on topic X, and used the former essay as research, to say A(1)B(1) and C(1) based upon his content, that would not be plagarism and i would not need to credit the origional author either....
LiveFastDieYoung
you can rewrite anothers essay with the same content, with different weightings etc and that would not be plagarism...

Er, no. That is plagiarism.

Latest

Trending

Trending