The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham colleges

I am thinking of applying for Engineering at Durham, but this college system is a bit confusing.
I have done some research and found that the offer will be independent of which college I choose, and lectures will be taken in the same place for all students regardless of their college. Also found out that the nearest colleges to Engineering lectures are the 'Hill Colleges'(Whatever they are :p: ).

What I want to know is which college is best for me. I want it to be close to my lectures(Engineering) so I don't have to walk half an hour to reach there. I would prefer self-catering accommodation, and en-suite availability would be a really good addition. The college preferably should be 'modern' and not too traditional/formal. Also I would like a college with decent music facilities, like practice rooms, but this is not very necessary.

I know I asked for a lot of stuff :biggrin: and it could be kinda hard to find a college which meets all the criteria, but something close to what I want would do :smile:

Thanks in forward for everybody who helps :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mahfood1990
I am thinking of applying for Engineering at Durham, but this college system is a bit confusing.
I have done some research and found that the offer will be independent of which college I choose, and lectures will be taken in the same place for all students regardless of their college. Also found out that the nearest colleges to Engineering lectures are the 'Hill Colleges'(Whatever they are :p: ).

What I want to know is which college is best for me. I want it to be close to my lectures(Engineering) so I don't have to walk half an hour to reach there. I would prefer self-catering accommodation, and en-suite availability would be a really good addition. The college preferably should be 'modern' and not too traditional/formal. Also I would like a college with decent music facilities, like practice rooms, but this is not very necessary.

I know I asked for a lot of stuff :biggrin: and it could be kinda hard to find a college which meets all the criteria, but something close to what I want would do :smile:

Thanks in forward for everybody who helps :smile:

Josephine Butler College, a hill college about 10 minutes from the Engineering department (15 if you don't walk really fast), seems to fit. It's fully self catered and all en-suite (the only college fitting these criteria, in fact!).

I'm not sure music facilities, but if *probably* has them.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
JB does seem to fit all your criteria. All the rooms are en-suite and it's all self-catered. There are practice rooms, though I believe these are shared with ustinov, but I suspect you would be fine.
It's also the most recently built college, so fairly modern.
Reply 3
Thanks a lot guys :smile:
I'll add rep when I get to :wink:
Reply 4
Hey, I don't want to make a new thread to ask this, as it's kinda related to the OP's post, but I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I'm also pretty confused by the college system but I know that Josephine Butler is the only self-catered college (right? :p:) and I'd prefer this than catered.
What I'm wondering is if anyone could give me a rough idea of living costs in JB college? Or Durham itself?
Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread :p:
Reply 5
you can be self-catered at cuths too.
There are price lists somewhere on the internet if you google. Can't remember where, but you should be able to find it if you search.
Reply 6
Aula
you can be self-catered at cuths too.
There are price lists somewhere on the internet if you google. Can't remember where, but you should be able to find it if you search.

I actually googled it the other day but couldn't find it, just did it there and managed it though :p:
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
When I went on a Durham campus tour one of our guides was a Collingwood student and he said he was self catered for his first year. I think you can choose to be self catered in any of the colleges but some have better facilities than others.
thewallaby1
When I went on a Durham campus tour one of our guides was a Collingwood student and he said he was self catered for his first year. I think you can choose to be self catered in any of the colleges but some have better facilities than others.

I suppose you could technically do this but the cooking facilities at catered colleges are less than ideal... I think you often have to check several floors to find an oven.
You can be self catered at mildert if you bring a plate and know how to use a microwave. You might(/will) end the year with scurvy though
Reply 10
thewallaby1

There is like a little kitchen thing on each floor (in Collingwood), but that only has a microwave, sink, fridge and kettle. You could live off that, but I think you'd probably have to still pay for the catered accomodation as that is just there to supplement the meals provided.
Reply 11
Come to Cuth's, if you want to be self-catered you definitely can :yep: I love my college and imo the location is better than JB.
Reply 12
MrGumby
There is like a little kitchen thing on each floor (in Collingwood), but that only has a microwave, sink, fridge and kettle. You could live off that, but I think you'd probably have to still pay for the catered accomodation as that is just there to supplement the meals provided.

I think all colleges actually provide the option for you not to have to pay for your meals, though most don't actively advertise this.

At Trevs, at the start of each term they would give us a sheet and if we didn't want to have lunches on certain days (for example if you wanted to make your own packed lunches) then you could opt out of lunches on those days, and you would be refunded for those.

I'm not certain, but I don't see why, if you felt you would prefer to make your own meals, that you shouldn't be able to ask to opt out of all meals. They just wouldn't issue you with a meal card (or whichever system your college uses to identify you as someone who is eligible to have meals).

However, as others have suggested, I really wouldn't recommend going self-catering in a college that isn't suited to it. Butler and Cuths you're fine, anywhere else, stick with catered.

Catered is better anyway, mealtimes are such a social hub and improve your university experience. You meet more friends rather than just the people you live on the same corridor as - because you end up sitting with your mate at lunchtime, then his mates from his course come over and you meet them too. Things like that. It's good, imo :smile:
Reply 13
dobbs
I think all colleges actually provide the option for you not to have to pay for your meals, though most don't actively advertise this.

At Trevs, at the start of each term they would give us a sheet and if we didn't want to have lunches on certain days (for example if you wanted to make your own packed lunches) then you could opt out of lunches on those days, and you would be refunded for those.

If they do offer it, they don't tell you about it. :p: At Collingwood, if you didn't want lunch in college they will prepare a packed lunch for you or you can get a meal deal for free in a Yum outlet so you can't really say that you want to make your own packed lunch as that is provided for you aswell...but I'm not sure if you can opt out and be refunded...It'll be interesting to see if it is and if anyone does it.
Reply 14
MrGumby
If they do offer it, they don't tell you about it. :p: At Collingwood, if you didn't want lunch in college they will prepare a packed lunch for you or you can get a meal deal for free in a Yum outlet so you can't really say that you want to make your own packed lunch as that is provided for you aswell...but I'm not sure if you can opt out and be refunded...It'll be interesting to see if it is and if anyone does it.

Yeah at Trevs you got the packed lunches too, but they still offered for you not to have lunches on certain days if you didn't want them. Not really sure what the reason for that was, but oh well.
Reply 15
dobbs

It's definitely not an option at Collingwood. We did install a kitchen in one room last year to meet the needs of a student with a disability but those are the only circumstances in which self catering in Collingwood is an option (except for the postgrads who have separate facilities to get them through the vacations) - the facilities just aren't up to self-catering and it makes a huge difference to the social life of the community that we eat together. That's not what everyone wants, of course, but alternatives are available at Josephine Butler and Cuth's - we don't force anyone to join our community but that's the way we work if you do want to join us.
astro67
It's definitely not an option at Collingwood. We did install a kitchen in one room last year to meet the needs of a student with a disability but those are the only circumstances in which self catering in Collingwood is an option (except for the postgrads who have separate facilities to get them through the vacations) - the facilities just aren't up to self-catering and it makes a huge difference to the social life of the community that we eat together. That's not what everyone wants, of course, but alternatives are available at Josephine Butler and Cuth's - we don't force anyone to join our community but that's the way we work if you do want to join us.

To any prospective students reading this: do not underestimate the point in bold
Itchynscratchy
To any prospective students reading this: do not underestimate the point in bold

I went self-catered and I'd still agree with this. You just have to decide how much avoiding questionable college food is worth to you.
Reply 18
You can opt out of lunches at Mildert, and you get the grand total of 70p per meal if you do this. However, now we have the new meal ticket system, for some reason you can only opt out of ALL lunches during the week, therefore getting £3.50 back. Even if you are out EVERY day, it hardly seems worth the bother.
Reply 19
generic hybrid
I went self-catered and I'd still agree with this. You just have to decide how much avoiding questionable college food is worth to you.

:ditto:. Don't underestimate how important communal meals are to a college's sense of community.

Latest