The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

CJN
Yeah biology sucks, it isn't a real science - just pure learning.

:no:

Possibly at GCSE or AS level, but unfortunately that's a combination of a flawed asssessment system and bad teaching. Biology is a wonderful science.
Reply 21
If you want to do medicine DO biology, it keeps your options opened for med schools if something else goes wrong- ukcat.

You can do medicine even if you hate it though.

However, I hate biology. I was going to do medicine but having 2-5 solid years learning so much of the subject put me off massively. I'm going to make sure I do a subject I love :wink:

But if medicine is what you want to do go for it (just keep biol) :smile:
Reply 22
Jonty99
Would it not look a bit better if they had Biology AND chemistry?? Is that not sort of like universities only NEEDING really low GCSE and AS grades, but at a lot of universities, doing better in them can give you an advantage.

(I'm not saying your wrong, btw, I'm just curious :p:)

Yeah, I would guess that having both is an advantage, but most do say chemistry is essential, plus one or two more science subjects.

I don't know though really :smile:
Reply 23
i totally agree!
im in priti much the same place!

i hate this biology course that we have to do..were learning about ecology tooooooooooooooo much...and its soooooo boring.

and i dont think that ecology is really going to help for somehting like medicine ir dentistry!
Reply 24
I have liked the vast majority of my biology course except for the optional module I did which was applied ecology. My class voted in majority for it as it was said to be the easiest but I found it very dull. I still had a large amount of human biology in mine especially the first module in A2.
Reply 25
I hated biology.
Reply 26
Whilst were badmouthing biology- I hate it too, with passion. All the ecology shiz is getting on my last nerve.
J DOT A
Hey

Well I find myself in quite the "predicament". I am taking Further maths, Physics, Chemisty and of course Biology. I am enjoying all my courses APART from Biology... too me, personaly, it's just really boring and I have no interest in any of the things that the teacher/textbook says.

I am very much considering dropping bio, because not only is 5 A levels quite alot, i just find i would do better in my other subjects if i drop it. Would it still be acceptable to med schools if I took it to at least A/S level?

now here is the thing, i like the sound of medicine, but by god if it's like the A level syllabys, i don't think I would have a chance in hell. Do you think I should reconsider my choices for career's if I don't like bio?

thanks

Dude i totally agree with you! Last year i loved biology because it was really interesting, but this year (A2) it has been all ecology and other such boring nastiness. (Ecosystems? Climax communities? Who cares!?)

But im sticking with bio, because im good at it and i dont hate it THAT much. Im also doing 5 A levels by the way.

Check what your unis have to say. If they dont mind, then drop it. If they do, stick it out my friend.
LOL i love how this thread has turned into an ecology hate thread.

No-one likes ecology. Remove it now :smile:
well apart from the ecology/plant stuff i think biology great

like learning about the human body can't wait for the stuff coming up in the A2 course on the brain, muscles, more on diseases etc and the AS learning more about the heart, genetics, disease (CF)

im sure you enjoy the relevant stuff

but i admit the plants/ecology stuff is boring
am i the only one here who actually is really interested in human biology.. and wants to do medicine?

why would you want to do a 5 year degree (and a career) that involves tons of human biology if your not actually interested in it? (i realise its more about communication etc.. but still!) surely do a degree on a subject that your actually interested in?
Biology is thrilling... I love it and it's a big reason I chose medicine.
blonde-beth
am i the only one here who actually is really interested in human biology.. and wants to do medicine?

why would you want to do a 5 year degree (and a career) that involves tons of human biology if your not actually interested in it? (i realise its more about communication etc.. but still!) surely do a degree on a subject that your actually interested in?

Exactly. Human biology is fantastic
Reply 33
Revd. Mike
:no:

Possibly at GCSE or AS level, but unfortunately that's a combination of a flawed asssessment system and bad teaching. Biology is a wonderful science.

Yeah, my experience of it was standard grade biology (equivalent to GCSE) and it was pure learning.

Chemistry is understand and learning physics is like 0 learning. One time I revised for a biology test and got 95%

Other times I never revised and got like 50% 60% and stuff but in Physics just after understanding it in class there is no need to revise.

But yeah I can see room for it changing at post As level or A level, I imagine biology at uni is nothing like biology gcse.
I love Biology! The teacher never shuts up but she's so passionate about the subject, so really I never get bored. I personally find that what you learn in Biology is interesting anyway.
CHEM1STRY
Biology is thrilling... I love it and it's a big reason I chose medicine.

Wait til you do ecology in A2.

I thought the same as you until the start of A2. When you look at ecology, you look at an integral part of biology that had previously been swept under the carpet in favour of "cool" biology that is fun to learn. When you realise how big ecology is in bio, you will change your mind lol.
CHEM1STRY
Exactly. Human biology is fantastic

it is. gaawd its like saying.. uh, I want to do law at uni, but im not actually that interested in the law... :p:

I supose my interest in it has partly stemed from my awesome welsh biology teacher :love:
mathew551
I love Biology! The teacher never shuts up but she's so passionate about the subject, so really I never get bored. I personally find that what you learn in Biology is interesting anyway.

woww your OWLS are amazing!
blonde-beth
woww your OWLS are amazing!

Thank you. :wink:
blonde-beth
it is. gaawd its like saying.. uh, I want to do law at uni, but im not actually that interested in the law... :p:

I supose my interest in it has partly stemed from my awesome welsh biology teacher :love:

We used to have an awesome welsh bio teacher... Dr Bowen Walker! He went to another school though for secondment

Latest

Trending

Trending