The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cpj1987
I'm not interested in academic success, social status or wealth. I'm interested in happiness.

I know, Cheryl. You always tell me that. :p:
You're still young, when you get older you'll find you look at things differently.
Sincerity?

I would be satisfied with a ****** job

Would you really? Have you any experience of having a ****** job to make this declaration?

If you've ever actually worked full-time in a job you disliked, you would realise the effect it has on your life and happiness. I don't understand how anyone can be so flippant about how they spend 40 hours a week for 45 years.
Reply 23
mikeyd85
Yeah, I lost my motivation to work supremely hard to make a **** load of dollar when I realised I was happiest working on a farm picking apples, making music with some friends and having the affection of a lovely woman.

I thought you were as an IT analyst or something along the lines of that? :\

If that makes you happy, then that's great. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of that tbh. Not picking apples but some not having as much stress while being enough to get me by. :smile:

How different do you think things would have been, had you been like, erm, the nerdy kid at school instead of going through the whole 'sex, drugs and rock n' roll' phase you went through? (said so on your profile the last I checked!)
Reply 24
Sincerity?
I know, Cheryl. You always tell me that. :p:

Would you rather I stopped posting in any thread made by you? :-)

I don't think I've ever posted that comment before (usually you're saying the opposite of what you've said in this thread), but you do seem to take issue with everything I say.
Reply 25
Azer
That's what most people think, right up until their mid-life crisis.

You and your cliched opinion can **** off. :smile:
Reply 26
cpj1987
Would you rather I stopped posting in any thread made by you? :-)

I don't think I've ever posted that comment before (usually you're saying the opposite of what you've said in this thread), but you do seem to take issue with everything I say.

Haha, not really, I'm just pulling your leg.

Most of my other threads were troll threads, so yeah, I'm honest here. :]
Reply 27
Sincerity?
You and your cliched opinion can **** off. :smile:

Some truths are hard to hear, indeed so painful that some would rather curse the messenger than listen.
Reply 28
Pink Bullets
Would you really? Have you any experience of having a ****** job to make this declaration?

If you've ever actually worked full-time in a job you disliked, you would realise the effect it has on your life and happiness. I don't understand how anyone can be so flippant about how they spend 40 hours a week for 45 years.

You're right. I'm sixteen with absolutely no life experience.

But, I don't know if that's just a pipe dream but what I meant was something along the lines of this:

- an average job, which would give me enough time on my hands to do whatever it is I wanted, i.e, improve my command of the English, French and whatever language it is I fall in love with, get to some serious writing and music making. Pipe dream, eh? :[
Reply 29
Azer
Some truths are hard to hear, indeed so painful that some would rather curse the messenger than listen.

Don't mind my cursing, I have a bad mouth. :p:

You been through that phase yourself then, man?
Sincerity?

But, I don't know if that's just a pipe dream but what I meant was something along the lines of this:

- an average job, which would give me enough time on my hands to do whatever it is I wanted, i.e, improve my command of the English, French and whatever language it is I fall in love with, get to some serious writing and music making. Pipe dream, eh? :[

How much time on your hands is enough? Unless you're independently wealthy by other means, you'll probably have to work 40 hours a week like most people to be able to afford the things you want. And there are enough 40-hour-a-week jobs that you might as well find a job you somewhat enjoy.

Don't worry if you're not passionate about a career now, at 16. It would probably be weirder if you were. I didn't figure out what I really wanted to do until I was 21.
Reply 31
cpj1987
I'm not interested in academic success, social status or wealth. I'm interested in happiness.

Happiness is a function of wealth, amongst other things, surely? Imagine a world with no roof over your head, food..
Sincerity?

I think its good that you're questioning things, unlike, as you say, kids in the GCSE forum who have no idea why they want what they want.

Welcome to a capitalist economy, where the 'choices' are handed out to you.
Reply 33
Sincerity?
Don't mind my cursing, I have a bad mouth. :p:

You been through that phase yourself then, man?

Yep, when I was a bit younger than you (14-16). Didn't give a crap about school, all I wanted was time for myself. Ended up nearly failing in school and falling out with my parents. Turning that situation around was so much harder than it would have been to continue and improve my previous lifestyle.

In my opinion, it's better to find work which interests you and either combine that with your hobby (in your case, become a writer or teacher) or earn yourself a position which you can be proud of and which lets you have some time for own interests (e.g. professor).
Reply 34
Fusion
Happiness is a function of wealth, amongst other things, surely? Imagine a world with no roof over your head, food..

Well, what do you consider 'wealth', are you considering it to be 'any money at all'?
I'm perfectly happy on a salary of £14k. I have been perfectly happy living on much less. I know that, personally, I wouldn't be happy being homeless - but likewise there is nothing to stop a homeless person being happy (if they don't mind the cold!)
Reply 35
Meh, I want to teach abroad. It's not particularly well paid, and it's not particlarly high-powered. People keep saying it's rridiculous me being at UCL if all I want to do is that, but I'd be quite happy since it means I'd get to live in exotic places, I'd live well by local standards and I wouldn't have as much stress as some investment banker. An adeuqtae amount of money and a decent life is enough for me, I don't feel the need to almost work myself into an early grave just for money.
Sincerity?
I thought you were as an IT analyst or something along the lines of that? :\

If that makes you happy, then that's great. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of that tbh. Not picking apples but some not having as much stress while being enough to get me by. :smile:

How different do you think things would have been, had you been like, erm, the nerdy kid at school instead of going through the whole 'sex, drugs and rock n' roll' phase you went through? (said so on your profile the last I checked!)

I am these days - I was very happy back then though. I do IT because it's damn easy for me to do it, and when there's a challenge, it's great to get my head round it. My role has very little pressure - I don't have targets or anything like that, so it's cushty. The dollar is alright too! :biggrin:

If I hadn't discovered life - I'd walk around with a pole up my arse (metaphorically, of course), sticking to the rules and being a proper goon. I'd be loaded, but very, very lonely I think.

Thank **** for sex, drugs and metal!
Reply 37
My ultimate ambition in life is to be happy.
Reply 38
*Star*Guitar*
I think its good that you're questioning things, unlike, as you say, kids in the GCSE forum who have no idea why they want what they want.

Welcome to a capitalist economy, where the 'choices' are handed out to you.

I smell a conspiracy theory! There's a secret organisation pulling the strings, I tell you!

Azer
Yep, when I was a bit younger than you (14-16). Didn't give a crap about school, all I wanted was time for myself. Ended up nearly failing in school and falling out with my parents. Turning that situation around was so much harder than it would have been to continue and improve my previous lifestyle.

In my opinion, it's better to find work which interests you and either combine that with your hobby (in your case, become a writer or teacher) or earn yourself a position which you can be proud of and which lets you have some time for own interests (e.g. professor).

Noted, sir. Thank you. Very much.

Damn right, it's better but take into account the amount of fiction writers and avant-garde metal musicians (even when not taking the genre into consideration, that's still a hell of a lot. + avant garde metal is apparently less popular than traditional metal) who are far, far superior than I am in many ways, out there and this really slims my chances at making a living through that! So, I should be sticking to the rule book, earning bucket loads of money and using that to fund my main interests, considering it sounds far more realistic than the other way round! (which is using my main interests, music and writing, as my main sources of income)

Either that or...relying on über skillz in convincing people into buying my self produced music. My charisma (or lack thereof) ftw! :p:
Reply 39
Sincerity?
I smell a conspiracy theory! There's a secret organisation pulling the strings, I tell you!

Noted, sir. Thank you. Very much.

Damn right, it's better but take into account the amount of fiction writers and avant-garde metal musicians (even when not taking the genre into consideration, that's still a hell of a lot. + avant garde metal is apparently less popular than traditional metal) who are far, far superior than I am in many ways, out there and this really slims my chances at making a living through that! So, I should be sticking to the rule book, earning bucket loads of money and using that to fund my main interests, considering it sounds far more realistic than the other way round! (which is using my main interests, music and writing, as my main sources of income)

Either that or...relying on über skillz in convincing people into buying my self produced music. My charisma (or lack thereof) ftw! :p:

Well, it seems to me you have three options to reach your goal of spending your time on writing and composing:

1) Work hard enough and be lucky enough to break through with your art straightaway
2) Work hard enough to make the kind of money that allows you to quit formal work and focus on writing and composing
3) Find a career that allows you enough time to make the most of your art

Whichever one you choose is up to you. My opinion would be that 1) is too unrealistic, 2) involves too much unhappiness for too long (as you say) and 3) sounds about right.

Latest

Trending

Trending