The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
punktopia
Why is that? Because I don't think or act like everyone else? :rolleyes:

Nope, it's because you believe that there IS an 'everybody else' - that you believe we're all a nation of mindless drones and that you're somehow the only 'different' one - a rebel.
You have a very childish 'black and white' view of the world, when in fact all people are different.
Reply 61
punktopia
Try twice that age.

And - erm, maybe it's just me, but I don't feel I could be truly happy until there's no more suffering in the world. I know people like you can just ignore the fact that people are being tortured to death and starving whilst you go out and spend your "hard-earned" money on a new ipod, but hell. Just. Try. To. Think.

So yeah, third option: use your life to help others, whether it's helping them break free from the prison they've built for their own minds or helping them physically in, say, Africa.

I'm no saint but I would say that I help people at times. I've noticed that whenever I am helping someone emotionally, it's very far from getting them out of 'the prison they're mentally trapped in' (thanks, that could be a line in a nice song) - it's usually me helping, or at least trying to help friends with various forms of relationships. Well, I would think that breaking them free, as you put it, would be in some form or another, forcing them to do something and that's something I don't like.

I would rather the person does it on his own, maybe with a little push on my side. But look at this way, why should I do it? The person seems perfectly happy with the way his life is, so why should I change (or try to) his way of life which he is firmly rooted to? If he's happy with his illusion, so be it. :]

Cheryl, my view on life is quite on the extremes, I would think and is similar to that of Punktopia, here but it definitely isn't the exact view. It's similar in many ways, but not quite it. I'm more of a cynic than an anarchist.
Punktopia i hardly think your aggressive attitude will convert anyone, more so alienate people from your cause. Try and be more gentle in your approach..
Reply 63
cpj1987
Nope, it's because you believe that there IS an 'everybody else' - that you believe we're all a nation of mindless drones and that you're somehow the only 'different' one - a rebel.
You have a very childish 'black and white' view of the world, when in fact all people are different.

Nope, wrong. I know there are other people who think in a similar manner to me.

And I know that there are degrees of mindlessness: the neo-liberals, the once-liberals, etc...

However, I've always thought differently and been different from most people in this country. It's not something I chose one day: I didn't say "hey, I know what'd be fun - nonconformity!" I've just been like this as long as I can remember - but when I started to really think about the way things were and looked into political theory (and philosophy) I realised that the way I thought made a lot of sense.

Of course, all you, and most of the other users see here, is the great big anarchy avatar and the username which were chosen quite deliberately to cause annoyance and provoke judgmental behaviour amongst the TSR "elite". A social experiment that worked quite well, if I may say so myself.
Reply 64
cpj1987

On the outside, everyone is different, true. However, most people think the same way. You'd probably think of me as an angst-filled teen or tag/describe me with something of a similar nature, as you did with Punktopia, but whatever - this forum again, is a great example of what I'm on about.

Reading various threads here, I see patterns in posting. I don't have enough time on my hands to group/classify these posts and I doubt I would want to do that for any reason, let alone, proving something to one person (and anyone else who bothered reading and who had the same opinion as you) but if I were to classify that, you would see that while being differences in posts, many of the main ideas are one and the same. I'm not sure I was coherent, I hope this makes any sense!
Reply 65
punktopia
Nope, wrong. I know there are other people who think in a similar manner to me.

And I know that there are degrees of mindlessness: the neo-liberals, the once-liberals, etc...

However, I've always thought differently and been different from most people in this country. It's not something I chose one day: I didn't say "hey, I know what'd be fun - nonconformity!" I've just been like this as long as I can remember - but when I started to really think about the way things were and looked into political theory (and philosophy) I realised that the way I thought made a lot of sense.

Of course, all you, and most of the other users see here, is the great big anarchy avatar and the username which were chosen quite deliberately to cause annoyance and provoke judgmental behaviour amongst the TSR "elite". A social experiment that worked quite well, if I may say so myself.

Not at all, I don't judge by username or avatar - I judge by what people say, and you're now beginning to sound much more sane than when you're in a 'most people are mindless drones. Fight the power!' mood. Hell, I see a lot of differences between myself and others in this country, but I don't see it as a 'me and them' situation, which is how your thoughts come across a lot.
Reply 66
Sincerity?
I'm no saint but I would say that I help people at times. I've noticed that whenever I am helping someone emotionally, it's very far from getting them out of 'the prison they're mentally trapped in' (thanks, that could be a line in a nice song) - it's usually me helping, or at least trying to help friends with various forms of relationships. Well, I would think that breaking them free, as you put it, would be in some form or another, forcing them to do something and that's something I don't like.

I would rather the person does it on his own, maybe with a little push on my side. But look at this way, why should I do it? The person seems perfectly happy with the way his life is, so why should I change (or try to) his way of life which he is firmly rooted to? If he's happy with his illusion, so be it. :]

Cheryl, my view on life is quite on the extremes, I would think and is similar to that of Punktopia, here but it definitely isn't the exact view. It's similar in many ways, but not quite it. I'm more of a cynic than an anarchist.

Indeed, you can't force people to be free, that's an oxymoron. You can however provide them with a worthwhile alternative to their current state of mind.

The problem you're up against is that so much of capitalist society is designed to control and influence. People honestly, truly believe their thoughts are their own when in fact, in many cases, they're parroting something they saw on TV, read in a book or heard from Jim down the pub. Although that is oversimplifying things - the system of control is so carefully woven that perhaps a suitable allegory would be this:

A fisherman goes out every day to trap fish in his net. The net holds most of the fish but isn't very well constructed: some fish swim through the holes. Eventually it starts to fray and wear. The fisherman decides to construct a firmer net, with smaller holes. His son takes up the family business, and follows suit. Again, he weaves a stronger net, and less fish escape. Eventually, after several generations, the fisherman's descendant has weaved a net so fine, so strong and so large that no fish can escape at all. And yet the net is invisible, and the fish are spread out across such a wide area that after a while they start to believe that they are swimming in the open sea, and are not held or restricted in any way.
Reply 67
Sincerity?
On the outside, everyone is different, true. However, most people think the same way. You'd probably think of me as an angst-filled teen or tag/describe me with something of a similar nature, as you did with Punktopia, but whatever - this forum again, is a great example of what I'm on about.

Reading various threads here, I see patterns in posting. I don't have enough time on my hands to group/classify these posts and I doubt I would want to do that for any reason, let alone, proving something to one person (and anyone else who bothered reading and who had the same opinion as you) but if I were to classify that, you would see that while being differences in posts, many of the main ideas are one and the same. I'm not sure I was coherent, I hope this makes any sense!

Nope. I agree with you.
Reply 68
punktopia
A fisherman goes out every day to trap fish in his net. The net holds most of the fish but isn't very well constructed: some fish swim through the holes. Eventually it starts to fray and wear. The fisherman decides to construct a firmer net, with smaller holes. His son takes up the family business, and follows suit. Again, he weaves a stronger net, and less fish escape. Eventually, after several generations, the fisherman's descendant has weaved a net so fine, so strong and so large that no fish can escape at all. And yet the net is invisible, and the fish are spread out across such a wide area that after a while they start to believe that they are swimming in the open sea, and are not held or restricted in any way.

Exactly! I doubt I could have explained that in a fashion which would have been more simpler to grasp. :smile:

cpj1987
Nope. I agree with you.

If so, you are, at the same time, agreeing with Punktopia? :p:
punktopia

To what end have the government, in your opinion, created this net?
Reply 70
Yup. Definitely more to life.
Reply 71
Sincerity?

If so, you are, at the same time, agreeing with Punktopia? :p:

I wouldn't say so, no. What you're saying is that a majority of people seem to have the same opinions and that yours are different; that they seem to be a certain way and that you aren't. That, I agree with and relate to - I, too, think that the mentality and behaviours of most people are ridiculous, and I, too pity the way people behave, the way they strive for so many pointless things because they never question, and the way people will sacrifice happiness to follow 'the norm'. However, unlike punktopia seems to, I don't consider myself unique, or special, or to be entirely outside some huge system. We're ALL in that big fishing net - it's impossible not to be - it's just that some people are more influenced by the other fish than others.
Reply 72
Sincerity?
Academic success, social status, a ridiculously high income due to a successful career...and just about everything everyone seems to want?

It's not for the sake of being different - it's that I dislike being told what to do, I like being in control. So, I should be working in my own firm/business/whatever someday but what if I don't want to? What if I find it boring? Does this make me a social outcast? Why are people so quick to judge others based on their academic performance/history and not the actual persons?

I would be satisfied with a ****** job (no offence intended, honestly - I wouldn't want to "hurt" anyone) that would be just enough for me to live (that is, small apartment, food, clothing, etc) if that meant that I would have a lot of time on my hands to do what I like, which is:

a) Writing - Lots and lots of writing, be it short stories or poetry.
b) Music - Listening to and again, writing (or composing, if you prefer)
c) Just live my life. It's not that I'm going to live again. Why should I work my behind (haha) out to get a ridiculously high amount of money when I doubt I'd want that much and chances are, I'd be old before I get the chance to actually spend it!
d) That is all? :p:

Maybe I'm very wrong...which is partly the reason I made this thread. The other reason is to see if there's anyone who is in a (nearly, perhaps?) similar situation to mine and what they would actually like to do and stuff. Just to satisfy my curiosity, tbh.

Honestly, I don't see any other reason, other than not wanting to disappoint my parents and/or anyone else having high hopes for me, for actually attempting to get good grades at my GCSEs. It's ironic, considering they want what's supposed to be best for me and that's exactly what I want.

Maybe it's just a phase which will pass and will join the unthinking majority and transform into a sheep again? :p:

Who is silly rich perhaps?!
Reply 73
mikeyd85
To what end have the government, in your opinion, created this net?

What if there's something beyond the government? Yes, I am implying that there's a secret society or something equally (or perhaps even more) dangerous and powerful pulling the strings of the govt. Fwahahaha.
Sincerity?
What if there's something beyond the government? Yes, I am implying that there's a secret society or something equally (or perhaps even more) dangerous and powerful pulling the strings of the govt. Fwahahaha.

Regardless of who made the net, I'd just like to know why it was created in punktopia's opinion. :smile:
Reply 75
cpj1987
I wouldn't say so, no. What you're saying is that a majority of people seem to have the same opinions and that yours are different; that they seem to be a certain way and that you aren't. That, I agree with and relate to - I, too, think that the mentality and behaviours of most people are ridiculous, and I, too pity the way people behave, the way they strive for so many pointless things because they never question, and the way people will sacrifice happiness to follow 'the norm'. However, unlike punktopia seems to, I don't consider myself unique, or special, or to be entirely outside some huge system. We're ALL in that big fishing net - it's impossible not to be - it's just that some people are more influenced by the other fish than others.

I don't feel unique or special either, even if I do give that impression. (apparently...) I like to think that I'm outside the net, just swimming around it for a few reasons. I despise the whole way society works and all but I need it in one way or another. Sometimes it's for mindless fun, winding people up and at other times it's for talks of a more serious nature. No matter what, I can't quite live independently of the people within the fish net. Those swimming around are way too far.

Things would definitely be a great deal easier if I were in the net, still metaphorically speaking. I've wished that often in the past but really, I think I'm quite contented with the way I am.

Anyway, I'll be off in a few minutes. I should be revising - my exams start on Monday.
Reply 76
theBOON
Who is silly rich perhaps?!

What are you talking about? :|

mikeyd85
Regardless of who made the net, I'd just like to know why it was created in punktopia's opinion. :smile:

I don't know about him but I think it's just to create order while maintaining control. (in a nutshell)
Reply 77
I like to travel, watch football, listen to music, watch anime, eat and sleep. I need money to do these things. Now, could you direct me to the local jobcentre please?!
Not every one are in it for the money. I love maths and want to do a job in it thus I need to do well academically to do that as it is a hard profession it just so happens that it's well paid as well. I also enjoy learning and doing well because I feel like I have achieved something and that makes me happy :smile: it depends what kind of person you are. Some people like learning, going to school, and their subjects. Others prefer to go out and have fun with maths. And many others are completely different. There's no right or wrong answer to what you want to do with your life it's just some disagree with other's opinions.
Reply 79
na i think its good to work hard now and get acedmics on locks. Good GCSE, A levels and Degree - then ur sorted. then **** arounf all u want cuz u can enter th job market nytime u like and do whatever u want. at the end of the day i just want a bhumting wife that I can bang night after night :biggrin: lol

Latest

Trending

Trending