The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Router trouble

Yup, still trying to get my damned PS3 online... Trying the router method.

I've got a router, registered the MAC address, entered in all the info IT can give me (IP, Gateway, Submask, DNS). PS3 obtains the IP Address but fails at getting the connection.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the damn router working properlly? Not even my phone or laptop will connect to it either =/ They find the connection, latch onto it but whenever I try to load a website, they take ages then says it can't connect to the server.

Anyhelp?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
is the proxy setup in the browser when u try to load a webpage?
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah, I've set the proxy on my laptop and it works fine when I just run the ethernet cable straight from the outlet into the laptop. But router just won't have any of it, even though when I run the router's test it says the connections fine, although nothing will actually load =|
Reply 3
I guess someone should point out that, you are not allowed to use any form of router etc on Staffs Resnet, if you can get it working you will be lucky. Only 1 connection at a time per port is allowed and if the network detects more it will boot you. The tech gremlins have really screwed the network up this year, saying they are incompetant would be too kind.
Reply 4
i can safely say multiple connections worked through a router 2 years ago. I thought the techies "allowed" people this yes to use routers this year.
Reply 5
this year is the same as last year, it states in the terms and conditions that using any form of networking equipment other than the ethernet cards in your pc's that are registered.

'"You will only plug in equipment specified on your ResNet application form in to the connection in your room. You may not plug in any other network devices such as hubs"

you can pay £10 to add a further MAC address, but you can only connect 1 at a time, if it detects one or more streams it disconnects you. Pain really as i have 2 pcs and my 360.
Reply 6
lordsteve83
Only 1 connection at a time per port is allowed

hahaha

ah yes, much like you're only allowed to smoke at 18 and you are only allowed to drive at a max of 70mph on the motorway...

lordsteve83
and if the network detects more it will boot you.

lol!! funny that i know dozens of freshers all running routers on resnet... and none of them seem to have been booted off.
I'm using a router, and it works. I'm also using a custom Linux firmware on it which gives me real-time bandwidth graphs. It's cool stuff. The issue I'm having with it, though, is that quite often when I'm downloading a file it will freeze partway; i.e. I get timeouts.

In addition, messages on instant messenger clients are often not getting delivered to me. I feel this is an issue regarding lost packets. If they really do restrict it to one connection at a time, I guess having multiple devices in use could limit the connectivity. I have successfully had the PC and 360 on at the same time before, though.

I'm having a big problem with my 360 now as well. It gets to the dashboard and shows my friend list, but always says it cannot display all of the items on the dashboard, presumably due to a limited connection. This is disappointing as I've been wanting to see the latest updates, like Facebook. No chance of getting Sky Player working though with the ****** Resnet speeds! Plus, it probably needs a TV license anyway. (I don't have one, but I don't watch TV.)

Right, if you can fix my router issue you're a certified legend. :woo: As for the OP, are you 100% sure you gave the tech guys the router's MAC, as specified on the config page? It sounds like a stupid question, but I jotted down the wrong MAC address (it had some other MAC address too which I gave them instead) and had the same problems as you.
Reply 8
thatmantisguy
No chance of getting Sky Player working though with the ****** Resnet speeds! Plus, it probably needs a TV license anyway. (I don't have one, but I don't watch TV.)

you also need a sky subscription :frown:
Reply 9
Wiggler
hahaha

ah yes, much like you're only allowed to smoke at 18 and you are only allowed to drive at a max of 70mph on the motorway...

lol!! funny that i know dozens of freshers all running routers on resnet... and none of them seem to have been booted off.

Poor sarcasm aside, if the network detects more than a single stream it does kick as that is what it is set to do....most newish routers also contain a switch which converts all traffic to a single stream, hence no kicking... yet. And just so you know, 3 people this year have already had to fight to have their resnet switched back on after losing their connection for this. If it works great....and good luck.

As for passing the mac to IS, i would just clone your pc's, save yourself the money and hassle.
Lderan
you also need a sky subscription :frown:

Not prior to using Sky Player. If you have a gold membership on Live, you can pay there and then. But it is £15 a month at a minimum, which isn't good. Though if no TV license is required, I'd take that over the TVL's crappy offerings any day.
Could everyone go to www.pingtest.net and post their results? There's a way to copy the result to the clipboard ready to paste here once you do the test. It would be a massive help if you could. Thanks.

Also, for the sake of a fair test, please choose the Coventry server.
Reply 12
thatmantisguy
I'm using a router, and it works. I'm also using a custom Linux firmware on it which gives me real-time bandwidth graphs.

you using one of the linksys routers? i'm using ww drt as my firmware
Reply 13
lordsteve83
Poor sarcasm aside, if the network detects more than a single stream it does kick as that is what it is set to do....most newish routers also contain a switch which converts all traffic to a single stream, hence no kicking... yet. And just so you know, 3 people this year have already had to fight to have their resnet switched back on after losing their connection for this. If it works great....and good luck.

As for passing the mac to IS, i would just clone your pc's, save yourself the money and hassle.

yeh ignoring the sarcasm, you just can't really use routers on resnet. one connection a room, which is why you have to descise your 360/ps3 with your laptops Address. if you have a router and a ps3 then thats two things connecting not one, so it just won't work.

Can't you use ethernet cable with your PS3??
Wiggler
you using one of the linksys routers? i'm using ww drt as my firmware

Tomato firmware with a Buffalo router, though I believe it works with some Linksys models. You should check it out. :yes: I just wish I could get this lost packet issue fixed, which is why I asked about people going on pingtest.net.

Here are the results I got, using the Milton Keynes server (was having issues with Coventry):

D is better than the F I got last time, but 2% packet loss is horrible. I wonder if it's this that's causing the downloads to freeze. Has everyone been able to download ISOs from Microsoft's DreamSpark or MSDN without such problems?
Reply 15
PS3s have wireless don't they? Set up a ad hoc connection on your laptop/pc and get it to share that connection :smile:
Reply 16
Mezmerise
you just can't really use routers on resnet. one connection a room

and WHY can't you? it works just like any other connection effectively. Plug a patch cable from your wall into the WAN and it should work, half the people in my halls have done it with zero effort, as have people for the last three years. If you're having problems with a router, make sure the router's WAN mac address is the same one thats register with Information Services. If you still can't get it working surely you're doing something rather special...
Reply 17
Wiggler
and WHY can't you? it works just like any other connection effectively. Plug a patch cable from your wall into the WAN and it should work, half the people in my halls have done it with zero effort, as have people for the last three years. If you're having problems with a router, make sure the router's WAN mac address is the same one thats register with Information Services. If you still can't get it working surely you're doing something rather special...

Worked flawlessly for me, psn and xbox live were dead slow but they both worked fine. they had the same attitude to routers it seems as during my first year.
Reply 18
We've got a fall back network in our flat just in case my flatmates connections go down, because for some reason theirs seems to be dodgy and I have a reliable connection, so they just connect through my laptop to get my connection. We haven't had any problems using it like that :smile: It seems you can share a connection quite easily this way :smile:
Reply 19
fallback network LOL

internet isnt that bad here

Latest

Trending

Trending