The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I want to teach Drama. Mainly because I like being able to watch kids interpretations of things. The imagination is endless when young.
I also like the environments in schools as a member of staff, I haven't had this experience but just when I'm let in occasionally during staff meetings etc.
I'm extremely OCD and need organisation and love the idea of having a set timetable still, and variety during the day rather than one job all day it's 5 little ones plus stuff outside of lessons. :smile:
Reply 21
yoyo462001
To be honest i felt that people who want to be teachers r fools, working with children espcially the annoying ones and not really getting paid much. but to be honest i totally understand how you prospective teachers feel because now i wouldnt mind going into teaching if i became very well off and could afford to, teaching economic would be sooo fun the kind of job you dont mind going into everyday.

:confused:
Hana_87

He's using both the past and the present tense!

You should probably get the hang of reading that before you start teaching :wink2:
Reply 23
Personally I would like to become a teacher to help those who want to learn, I remember starting school with language barrier and struggling to fit in with people, but my teachers were extremely helpful and got me where I'm today. I remember getting my SATs and GCSE results and seeing my teachers who looked well proud of me and one of them always said to me "this is why I do this job" . So for me to help a child like my teachers have done for me would be great + I enjoy working with kids even if they are annoying at times :biggrin: .
Hana_87

Thats what i used to think, as you can tell ive totally changed my attitude towards it
Reply 25
Hana_87
.... Why did you choose teaching? Why do you want to be a teacher?

i don't :awesome:
Reply 26
Bubbles*de*Milo
He's using both the past and the present tense!

You should probably get the hang of reading that before you start teaching :wink2:

His whole point just seemed invalid - just like yours usually are.

And for christ sake, this was a forum for people who WANT to be teachers - why do you feel the need to put your point across stating you don't wanna be a teacher - who cares?!
Reply 27
To travel (TEFL teacher)
To be an inspiration (stfu, it can happen :awesome:)
To be able to teach a language, and I love languages.

But I'm thinking I might want to be a musician instead now, so we'll see.
yoyo462001
To be honest i felt that people who want to be teachers r fools, working with children espcially the annoying ones and not really getting paid much. but to be honest i totally understand how you prospective teachers feel because now i wouldnt mind going into teaching if i became very well off and could afford to, teaching economic would be sooo fun the kind of job you dont mind going into everyday.
:rolleyes: Most prospective teachers probably aren't as greedy as you (or at least I'd hope not).
Reply 29
jismith1989
:rolleyes: Most prospective teachers probably aren't as greedy as you (or at least I'd hope not).

This.
Reply 30
Personally, I think kids are annoying :colonhash:

When I was a prefect in year 6, the kids used to run up to me in summer time and say 'prefect, prefect, the sun's in my eyes'. I can't cover the sun up fools. Feck off indoors or use sunglasses :cool: I have hundreds of more examples of the stupidity of kids btw, which bring back wasteful memories =.=

You have to be a REALLY patient person to be a teacher imo
Reply 31
i would really like to teach it because im good at it and also teachers at schools near me get free coffee. long way to go yet, and i've been charged with assault against a prefect last year. not too good.
Reply 32
Teaching comes naturally to me. I really believe it's a calling. I love working with students and helping the realise the possibilities, then helping them to achieve them. I want to be what my teachers weren't. I want to put myself out there. I want to teach English and help students find themselves in it. Also, I love being in a school setting and constantly learning and being challenge both professionally and personally.

My goal is to teaching secondary English at an urban school for a few years before moving into a leadership role and hopefully making it into the 4-year leadership program to work towards a headship position. Your teacher can't excel without support from the school.
Reply 33
You know what?

I find it funny when people say "OMG I couldn't be a teacher all those annoying kids, you've got to be really patient to be a teacher!" - and maybe you do, but I don't see it this way.

I think kids are hilarious, and I love working with them and being around them to hear all the things that they come out with and the questions they have (some of which just baffle you). You can have (semi) intelligent discussions with them about how they view the world and they are far more open to listening to other peoples opinions than many adults.

I hate it when people say that kids have no respect for teachers, that it's a hard job, etc. YES it's a hard job, but not so much from the kids, moreso from all of the other work that teachers have to do (btw I'm not a teacher yet, just going off what I've heard from people I know are teachers) - the bit where we get to work with kids is the fun part of the job, yes you'll get some awkward kids now and then but being a good teacher is about taking on these challenging kids and gaining their respect through whatever method you see fit.

I've worked with kids in non-teaching capacities (working on and eventually managing residential summer camps with the Youth Hostel Association) and the best thing about it is when you get some moping kid at the start of the week who "Doesn't want to be here" and looks at you like dirt, and by the end of the week you've managed to forge a mutual respect between you two, and when they're getting on the bus to go home they get really embarrassed and say "Thanks for this week, it was great" then rush onto the bus before you can say anything in reply, then they stick their fingers up at you when the bus is driving off, ha!

Sorry that's so long, but the reason some people don't understand why teaching is so rewarding is because they haven't been thinking about working with kids in the right way. After working for two years in an office job, I can safely say that I'm very very much looking forward to getting back into working with kids, it's going to be a different day every single day. Hard work, I know, but very rewarding :smile:
dobbs
I love working with them and being around them to hear all the things that they come out with and the questions they have (some of which just baffle you).

I was once asked by a Year 9 girl (admittedly quite a dim one) whether the world used to be black and white and suddenly became colourful one day. She was inspired to ask this after seeing a clip of a black and white movie.
Reply 35
I was actually asked why I was a teacher/wanted to be one by my students not too long ago.

The first answer that came into my head was not only that I enjoy working with young people, but also that it allows me to use the knowledge I gained from my degree, which not all jobs allow you to do.

I'd also add to that the fact that I am a seriously organised person, which I think you need to be in this job and which is why I think it suits me generally as constant organisational skills are definitely required if you're to do the job efficiently. I also realised while working in lots of daft jobs with daft hours that I definitely wanted a job with normal hours. Oh, and the holidays are nice :wink:
Reply 36
There are of course other perks to the job than what I mentioned. Things that spring to mind are:

-Decent pay
-Good holidays
-Set hours
-Working with people who are on the same wavelength as you (i.e. other teachers!) - at the moment I'm working in engineering and when I talk about my work with kids all I get is "Oh right you were chasing chavs around all summer that's crap" :rolleyes: Plus, on another level, because I'm working in engineering, it's full of men - my office is 60 people - 4 of those being female (no joke). Chances of meeting a girl in my line of work? NIL!
Reply 37
Another thing that I forgot to mention is the exam results. It absolutely thrills you when you get a group of nice students who get good results. It also really shows you how A grades aren't the be and end all - I never thought I'd be so happy for a student that got a C but for this kid it really was the absolute best we could have hoped for :smile:
Its the most rewarding job out there! if your looking for a job where you can climb the ladder of success or earn tonnes of cash then its not for you. i cant think of a happier moment than when a child finally grasps a concept or answers a new question correctly or learns a new word. its amazing. no two days are the same and the things that get less exciting when you become older (easter christmas halloween) suddenly have life again when you experience them with a new set of children each year!
:biggrin:
Reply 39
humz2
Personally, I think kids are annoying :colonhash:

When I was a prefect in year 6, the kids used to run up to me in summer time and say 'prefect, prefect, the sun's in my eyes'. I can't cover the sun up fools. Feck off indoors or use sunglasses :cool: I have hundreds of more examples of the stupidity of kids btw, which bring back wasteful memories =.=

You have to be a REALLY patient person to be a teacher imo

lol

Latest

Trending

Trending