The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Helenia
It's not just the med school you'll have to convince, it's the GMC. They probably won't take too kindly to you applying for provisional registration in a few years with a criminal record.

Without knowing the other sides of the story, it's really impossible to say what the outcome should be. At best, you've been a bit stupid and then really really unlucky and had an unfair conviction. At worst...

This.

It's worth remembering that even if you're let back on your course, you've been convicted and thus, it's probably going to be on your criminal record and as such, you'll face bigger hurdles when it comes to applying for placements etc, and then an actual job! :frown:
Reply 21
WhereIsMyMind
This.

It's worth remembering that even if you're let back on your course, you've been convicted and thus, it's probably going to be on your criminal record and as such, you'll face bigger hurdles when it comes to applying for placements etc, and then an actual job! :frown:

:puppyeyes:
thanks
:awesome:
You cant practice medicine with a criminal record can you? From your unis point of view, a criminal record is where you are headed so they think you are just wasting a place?

This isnt my opinion, just how they probably view the situation.
Reply 23
there are doctors with criminal records.

you've got to understand what has happened here was more a question of valour vs the law and the boundaries that have been crossed by it.

do you think doctors or those training to be doctors are allowed second chances?

moreover, training is training, you're supposed to root out all the bad characteristics and channel them by the 5th year?
Reply 24
peterpan312

you've got to understand what has happened here was more a question of valour vs the law and the boundaries that have been crossed by it.

do you think doctors or those training to be doctors are allowed second chances?

Yes but you really didnt do anything wrong.
Reply 25
peterpan312

What do you expect to achieve by making us understand this? Whether we think you should be given a chance or not is irrelevant and has no meaning whatsoever. It's your medical school you need to get advice from - especially since the implications include years beyond medical school (i.e. what Helenia said).
I do wish you good luck, though.
Reply 26
Ribbons
What do you expect to achieve by making us understand this? Whether we think you should be given a chance or not is irrelevant and has no meaning whatsoever. It's your medical school you need to get advice from - especially since the implications include years beyond medical school (i.e. what Helenia said).
I do wish you good luck, though.

I couldn't make the courts understand. If i can't make you guys understand, then I don't have a chance in a million against the uni. I just wanted to get your opinions on the situation. I've never heard of a case like mine.
Reply 27
peterpan312

moreover, training is training, you're supposed to root out all the bad characteristics and channel them by the 5th year?

There are doctors with criminal records, it's not a complete bar to practice, but it would require declaration to the GMC and they would investigate and decide whether it would bar you from practice or not.

You might have been allowed a second chance, but from the med school's point of view, you've already had that for the first prank. You may be in training but certain standards of behaviour are still expected, and your version of valour is another person's stupidity and/or reckless aggression. The situation sounds very unfortunate, but you have to take responsibility for your behaviour.

Have a look at the GMC Guidance for medical students (long!) especially point 38 and Table 1 down by point 78.

I know I'm being very gloomy, but I don't think you're quite taking seriously just how important this could be for you.
It really does depend on the type of conviction. Most places would see a speeding conviction and wouldn't care a bit. However, that generally is the only type of conviction that they don't care about - most others would be a barrier to practice.
Reply 29
thanks helenia. i was really thankful for the second chance but seriously did not ask for this second episode to happen. the prank was my fault entirely and this, i have to accept responsibility too.

the gmc have said that if the uni say it's ok then it would be ok. they would keep it under close scrutiny.

the sad thing is that if they do kick me out, i'll only be left with a-levels to show for education and no prospects for the future.
Reply 30
peterpan312
thanks helenia. i was really thankful for the second chance but seriously did not ask for this second episode to happen. the prank was my fault entirely and this, i have to accept responsibility too.

the gmc have said that if the uni say it's ok then it would be ok. they would keep it under close scrutiny.

the sad thing is that if they do kick me out, i'll only be left with a-levels to show for education and no prospects for the future.

Yes, it would be completely sucky. You've got to admit though, fighting people is never a bright idea (but I'm a girl, so I just don't get the male "valour" thing at all; I'd hate for someone to hurt someone else for my sake) and you have to show the university that you realise that and that there is no way at all that it will ever happen again. Then I guess you just have to hope. Not sure if the MDU/MPS would be of any help in this sort of situation, but if you're a member it might be worth contacting them, plus of course whatever guidance/student support people your uni has.
Reply 31
army?
There is absolutely no way in hell I would want someone like you to be my doctor. Soz.
Reply 33
smellslikemarmite
There is absolutely no way in hell I would want someone like you to be my doctor. Soz.

care to elaborate?
Reply 34
rohmana
army?

surprisingly, you're discounted from entering straight away!
Reply 35
God. No advice at all but your situation sounds terrible and I wish you luck. Let us know what happens
smellslikemarmite

You think no doctors have ever defended themselves in a fight? Most who have done are just not so unlucky to get charged with assault.
peterpan312
care to elaborate?

Well perhaps I was being a bit harsh. But I can see why the uni might want to kick you out.
You let down tyres, which was totally stupid of you and immature. You worked so hard to get into med school so you could turn up and **** around? It makes no sense.
THEN once they were nice to you and gave you another chance, you started **** with a guy for doing whatever to your girlfriend, when really you should have walked away. It seems to me like you don't stop to THINK anything through.

Just my two cents but you have a load of growing up to do.
Jonty99
You think no doctors have ever defended themselves in a fight? Most who have done are just not so unlucky to get charged with assault.

It's called walking away. He shouldn't have gone up and demanded an apology - if he just hit his girlfriend, what exactly made him think that the chap was going to be rational and apologetic and not beat the living crap out of him?
Reply 39
smellslikemarmite
It's called walking away. He shouldn't have gone up and demanded an apology - if he just hit his girlfriend, what exactly made him think that the chap was going to be rational and apologetic and not beat the living crap out of him?

thanks marmite for reply.

i know the ideal thing would have been to do that. but if you empathise (something you're taught to do as a doctor) imagine if that was your mother or your sister? what would you do?

Latest

Trending

Trending