The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
if i knew my career, before it started, was going to be flushed away, of course i would have walked away. how else can one show remorse?
peterpan312
if i knew my career, before it started, was going to be flushed away, of course i would have walked away. how else can one show remorse?

You're missing the point - you're not sorry for beating him up, you're just sorry your career has been ruined.
RightSaidJames
You're missing the point - you're not sorry for beating him up, you're just sorry your career has been ruined.

to be fair, most people in his position would not show remorse for beating the guy up. Although it is essential for a doctor to show empathy, it is very difficult for one to show empathy towards someone they truly hate. So he could have said that he was sorry he beat the guy up but it's to be expected that he is only sorry because of the consequences.
gildartz
Rules should not dictate the way one lives, for there will be times when you need to be assertive and use some intuition rather than standing back like you're meant to. I'm not saying that rules are there to be broken nor am I saying that you should go all out and beat the crap out of all the idiots in the world but i'm saying that not everything is in black and white, there will be times when you DO need to step into a fight to prevent further injury to one of the participants because that would be the right thing to do, and there will be times when you need to bend the rules. I'm not saying that you should try and be a hero, but you should try and be a human. Therefore I agree that Rollerball is on the right lines and although i'm not in med school yet, I highly doubt that the experience will change my position.

If rules don't dictate the way one lives, then what exactly are they there for? The sole reason for rules existing is to dictate the way you should live.
Bslforever
If rules don't dictate the way one lives, then what exactly are they there for? The sole reason for rules existing is to dictate the way you should live.

should be used as a guide not a way you HAVE to live your life. the system is never perfect.
Reply 105
sounds all to 'Equilibrium' the movie to me, macca.
gildartz
should be used as a guide not a way you HAVE to live your life. the system is never perfect.

Ok put it this way: The RULES say murder is wrong. We must not do it.

Is this a guide to the way we should live our lives or the way we have to live?

If i got pulled up in court for breaking one of the rules, do you think that "oh no don't worry about it, the rules are only guides, i dont HAVE to follow them" will hold up?

Didnt think so.
Bslforever

If i got pulled up in court for breaking one of the rules, do you think that "oh no don't worry about it, the rules are only guides, i dont HAVE to follow them" will hold up?

Didnt think so.

lol obviously its not a guide for certain things but i'm just saying, the rules themselves make it seem as though everything is in black and white and it is far from it. there will be situations whereby people will have to think whether the person is a victim or an offender and so the system is never perfect. People will have different views on given situations, and can be seen here in this discussion.
Reply 108
Bslforever

Didnt think so.

remember this when the easy ride ends, and you need to start breaking rules, macca.
Gizmo!
remember this when the easy ride ends, and you need to start breaking rules, macca.

I have no idea what you mean...macca.

Although the rules are not "guidelines" but are meant to be enforeced, i realise that i can break the rules at any time as long as i am willing to accept the possibility of concequence

Latest