The Student Room Group

Punishment for wearing a bra in Somalia? A good whiping!

MOGADISHU, Oct. 16, 2009 (Reuters) Somalia's hardline Islamist group al Shabaab has publicly whipped women for wearing bras they say violate Islam by constituting a deception, north Mogadishu residents said on Friday.

The insurgent group, which seeks to impose a strict form of sharia Islamic law throughout Somalia, amputated a foot and a hand each from two young men accused of robbery earlier this month. They have also banned movies, musical ringtones, dancing at wedding ceremonies and playing or watching soccer.

Residents said gunmen had been rounding up any woman seen with a firm bust and then had them publicly whipped by masked men. The women were then told to remove their bras and shake their breasts.

"Al shabaab forced us to wear their type of veil and now they order us to shake our breasts," a resident, Halima, told Reuters, adding that her daughters had been whipped on Thursday.

Continued here: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre59f242-us-somalia-conflict-bras/

Not really sure what to make of this. Something tells me these men just want to have a good feel and are using religion as a means to do so.

Peculiar what some people will do in the name of extremist beliefs.

Scroll to see replies

Oh my gosh, that is horrid, living in a controlled society like that. Reminds me of the Handmaid's Tale that we are reading in English Lit, only, that's fictional. Scarily there's some reality in it, as displayed here.
"Men were not spared the' moral cleansing'. Any man caught without a beard was publicly whipped."

Erm, WTF?

I know Somalia is supposed to be the most lawless country in the world, but bras and beards? Seriously?
its run by mental heads
Disgusting.
Reply 5
That just goes to show, some places in this world are practically medievil..
This cant be serious

A= If there is truth in it, than these people have nothing to do with "ISLAM" !!
Islam protects women, and if they are using Islam as a tool, May Allah guide them.
and the people of somalia.

B= If there isnt any element of truth in it, and its just the media protraying them like backward
animals, just like they portrayed the pirates, it begs the question which form of media do
you actually believe ???
Reply 7
mohamed aden
This cant be serious

A= If there is truth in it, than these people have nothing to do with "ISLAM" !!
Islam protects women, and if they are using Islam as a tool, May Allah guide them.
and the people of somalia.

B= If there isnt any element of truth in it, and its just the media protraying them like backward
animals, just like they portrayed the pirates, it begs the question which form of media do
you actually believe ???

I could buy "This has nothing to do with Islam" but I I do not buy "Islam protects women".

If anything, it appears Islam tortures women for the bloody hell of it.
The track record of female equality within Islam is appalling.
:frown: Does Somalia have a goverment? I mean, what are the police doing!!!???
so thats why all muslims have saggy tits
Teaddict
I could buy "This has nothing to do with Islam" but I I do not buy "Islam protects women".

If anything, it appears Islam tortures women for the bloody hell of it.
The track record of female equality within Islam is appalling.

Hmmm... i do agree with you that that some muslims ( or the people that the media want you to believe represent islam) do not follow islam the way it was preached. So in order for you to say "Islam Tortures Women", you have to research about the religion, its values/principles and look at its holy scriptures, not the mullas with the biggest beard in the caves of afghanistan, in order to make a statement of that weight.
Reply 11
SomeStudent
:frown: Does Somalia have a goverment? I mean, what are the police doing!!!???

There are no police in Somalia. It's a 'lawless' state governed by militias, each militia enacts its own laws within the areas it controls.
I'm surprised that this surprised people. Somalia is more or less an anarchy.
Reply 13
Uh you guys do know this isn't true right.
I visited Somalia over the summer, wore a bra, and didn't get whipped.

my God, people will believe anything if it's in the news.
Reply 14
Jesus...this is a pure example of religion and power going too ******* far. It's infuriating! They have to cover up anyway which is surely the deception here, not wearing a bloody bra!

And the fact they had to 'shake their breasts around', I'm sure that's not exactly necessary! FGS.
Reply 15
iamNAIROBI

LOL, damn, that definitely disproves the article :rolleyes:

(I don't have time to verify if the news is true - but I found this (il)logical deduction funny :rofl:)
iamNAIROBI

No, this is true.

In certain areas (More like he majorty ) of Somalia, there are thick headed tyrants using and twisting Islam to cause all sorts of grief on the people.

I hope all Al Shabab Die.
I don't understand, wouldn't wearing a bra be more modest than not wearing one?
Reply 18
This cannot be true...

I mean, if it was because they thought it was vanity or sexual display, then I could kind of believe it....but deception? And shaking breasts as a means to 'moral cleansing'?

The world really can't be that weird...
indigenousscot
so thats why all muslims have saggy tits

lol, all muslims aren't Somalis.

iamNAIROBI

Did you go to Somalia or Somaliland?

Latest

Trending

Trending