The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL - Biological Sciences Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

thekeythingis
I still haven't heard anything. No news is good news I suppose. Is it inadvisable to enquire about the status of our applications? It has been nearly 4 months since I've heard anything.

They wouldn't have lost your application... I would advise you to sit tight for now, I know they're interviewing until late March, so plenty of time to hear.... it's not as if you can accept any offers until you know the outcome of all of them!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
tetedupet
They wouldn't have lost your application... I would advise you to sit tight for now, I know they're interviewing until late March, so plenty of time to hear.... it's not as if you can accept any offers until you know the outcome of all of them!

All I meant by it was that I wanted to know what's currently happening with my application. I understand this doesn't change the eventual outcome, but I'd have slightly more peace of mind being able to predict it. I guess I'll just wait it out then, I won't contact them if I'm just being a nuisance :smile:
hey, I have offers for Biology both from UCL as St andrews and am still waiting for Imperial and edinburgh...
is there anybody who knows which one is best for studying biology or which pros / cons they have (only considering the academic side)? I haven't a clue which university to choose... cheers
I haven't a clue what the degree structure is like for biology at St Andrews... I can only comment on UCL's... They're probably pretty similar, I guess it depends on your specific interests in biology and perhaps either St Andrews or UCL will cater better for your specific interests. I struggle to imagine anyone would consider living in London at the same time as considering living in St Andrews, they're polar opposites... a small town vs one of the biggest cities and diverse cities in Europe... lol. You should definitely consider degree structure, courses etc, but you should also consider other attributes such as location!
Just got a reply today; straight up rejected... bummer

"Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to
those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your academic profile was judged to be
not as strong as that of other applicants"
Reply 85
I've just got my offer today from UCL ^U^
minimum of 36
with 6 in maths HL
6 in biology HL
5 in english B HL
:eek3:
I don't get it!!!! 5 in english B HL???
I am taking english B HL since January and before that I did english A SL and got all 5s... ㅡ.ㅡ
maybe they mean english A HL???
So here is my question.
Is it usual that UCL biological science department asks for a level 5 in English B HL?
p.s. I am an international student
Congrats!
Niaaali
Hey! I just got my invitation to an interview @ UCL :smile:! :p:
I'm slightly confused though because even though I'm German
(and my official residence is in Germany) I actually live in Thailand
with my family, since my mom works here. I clearly can't make the
interview and I emailed the university but what can I expect to happen now... phone interview? only considering my UCAS application? am I more likely to get rejected if I can't attend?

I very much doubt they'll reject you for not attending considering the circumstances, possibly a telephone interview or they may choose not to bother and assess your application as it is. Who did you e-mail?
what are my chances of getting my biological sciences course with grades ABC with an A in Biology??
Reply 89
bansheeee*
what are my chances of getting my biological sciences course with grades ABC with an A in Biology??

hmm there are quite a lot of applicants.... and the usual offer is AAB, with good applications given ABB...
So unless you completely WOW them i think its unlikely...
Reply 90
bansheeee*

At the interview/Department Open day I went to last week, they said that it was standard to give out offers of AAB. They said that in the past they have often considered and offered people who got ABB a place, but that because competition is so high this year, there's pretty much a non existant chance of getting your place if you get below AAB.

Furthermore, they said that next year, the offers will be upped to AAA and that this year is the last year that they don't use interviews as part of the selection process. :/
Nemezys
At the interview/Department Open day I went to last week, they said that it was standard to give out offers of AAB. They said that in the past they have often considered and offered people who got ABB a place, but that because competition is so high this year, there's pretty much a non existant chance of getting your place if you get below AAB.

Furthermore, they said that next year, the offers will be upped to AAA and that this year is the last year that they don't use interviews as part of the selection process. :/

I don't think it's as black and white as this. As I understand, academic performance will be looked at alongside opportunity, i.e. the sort of school you went to.
Reply 92
tetedupet
I don't think it's as black and white as this. As I understand, academic performance will be looked at alongside opportunity, i.e. the sort of school you went to.

Perhaps not, and of course other aspects of your application will be considered - they're incredibly important in fact.

However this is what the Head of Biomedical Sciences and the Head of Biosciences said in the presentation. If they're saying that even truly good candidates who fall short of the grades will almost certainly be rejected, I like to think that it's pretty concrete information seeing as it's coming from the horse's mouth. :s-smilie:
Nemezys
Perhaps not, and of course other aspects of your application will be considered - they're incredibly important in fact.

However this is what the Head of Biomedical Sciences and the Head of Biosciences said in the presentation. If they're saying that even truly good candidates who fall short of the grades will almost certainly be rejected, I like to think that it's pretty concrete information seeing as it's coming from the horse's mouth. :s-smilie:

I wasn't referring to meeting conditional offers, I was remarking that candidates who have had fewer opportunities wouldn't necessarily be made an AAA offer... It's a grey area and will be up to the discretion of the admissions tutors (i.e. Hazel and Chris)... this was the impression I was given after expressing a concern to a member of the teaching committee
Reply 94
Hello I need your help guys
I've got offers from
UCL: Life Science (IB: 36 with 6,6,5) and Biological Science (IB: 36 with 6,6,5)
Warwick: Biomedical Science (IB: 32 with 5,5,4) and Biological Science (IB: 32 with 5,5,4)
I am pretty sure that I will take Biological Science as firm choice, but I really don't know what to choose for the insurance choice.
My dad keeps saying that Life Science course of UCL will not be really useful, so he rather recommends Biomedical Science course of Warwick, but I don't really want to go to Warwick...
Any suggestions?
Reply 95
theres no point in putting biological sciences as firm and life sciences as insurance...
they are both asking for the same grades so if you don't make it for biological sciences, you won't get in for the life sciences (most likely) so if you really don't want to go to warick, i say jsut pick UCL as firm, and don't pick an insurance. That way you can at least go through clearing if you don't make the grades
you don't have to put an insurance, i didn't
Reply 97
If you guys had an offer from York (2nd -4th best in the country for biology) and UCL (10th - 25th) which one would you go to? UCL is overall much more well known though so which one would you personally choose?
Reply 98
hmm i wouldn't say york is 2-4th... It can't beat oxbrige or imperial....
As you have said, york is better for biological sciences than UCL, but that isn't everything. You have to look at the course structure and think about all the variables (such as the city, lifestyle). Choose the one that suits you best
Hi,

Basically, I have an open day/interview tomorrow at UCL for biological sciences, I was just wondering what to expect and whether it was a full blown interview or more of an informal chat. In the email title it said interview but in the actual email it didn't really say. Also, is it quite a formal affair?

Would be nice to hear from anyone who has been to one of these days and anyone who got an offer.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending