The Student Room Group

Veterinary Science at Cambridge?

So basically, I'm studying for my AS-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish) and aspire to study Veterinary Science at university. I've just spent a few hours looking at all of the different university's websites and fell in love with cambridge. The problem is I've never considered myself to be a cambridge standard student.
From what I can make out from the website you need A*AA at A-level to get in- my school have told us that they won't predict A* grades for us :confused:
Also I was planning on continuing with my four AS level subjects to full AS level. Would this affect the offer in anyway?
With regards to work experience (cambridge really dont seem fussed :eek: ) I've done a week SA vets, stables, kennels/catteries and farm and have booked a week at each of a SA vet, another SA vet, aquarium, dairy farm and equine hospital. I've also booked 2 weeks work experience at a rescue centre in spain for the summer and a day at an Eye vets and lambing.
However Cambridge's website seemed to say that they put stress on extra-curicular things more than they do the work experience side- this is where i don't think i have enough!
I volunteer at a kennels on saturdays, have a part time job at McDonalds and reguarly attend church- where i do readings/data projector etc.
In school I am a science angel, y8 form mentor and I am doing the language leaders qualification. I also go to the spanish film club. THAT IS IT.
Can someone give me some advice as i think/hope theres still enough time ?!
Cambridge is very different from the other vet schools in that they lean heavily on the academic side of things. This is reflected by the fact that they don't seem to care too much about work experience! However, in reality they do - I certainly got asked about it in my interviews. From a personal perspective, entering vet school with little/no WE is not a particularly wise thing to do - the amount of WE you have done seems to be approaching that which is acceptable for most schools. Try to aim for 10 weeks in total (Liverpool req's) and you can't go far wrong!

Now if I may veer briefly away from your post... try not to pick a favourite vet school!!! Of course, when applying we all do have our 'one that I'd pick if I were insanely lucky enough to get more than one offer' but in reality the vet schools pick you, not the other way around. Picking a favourite and focusing your application solely in that direction can be dangerous as you can easily end up with no offers at all. This is the mistake I made first time around; I really wanted to go to Cambridge (pure ego I'm afraid...) and spent loads of time picking up on the particular Cambridge style and basically ignored my other applications. What happened? 4 rejections and a realisation that actually Liverpool was the place for me... I only realised this at interview, as I hadn't bothered going to the Open Day as I was so Cambridge-focused.

Anyway, you sound as if you do quite a lot of extra-curic's, actually. Have you ever played any instruments/sports?
Reply 2
Dave Singleton
Cambridge is very different from the other vet schools in that they lean heavily on the academic side of things. This is reflected by the fact that they don't seem to care too much about work experience! However, in reality they do - I certainly got asked about it in my interviews. From a personal perspective, entering vet school with little/no WE is not a particularly wise thing to do - the amount of WE you have done seems to be approaching that which is acceptable for most schools. Try to aim for 10 weeks in total (Liverpool req's) and you can't go far wrong!

Now if I may veer briefly away from your post... try not to pick a favourite vet school!!! Of course, when applying we all do have our 'one that I'd pick if I were insanely lucky enough to get more than one offer' but in reality the vet schools pick you, not the other way around. Picking a favourite and focusing your application solely in that direction can be dangerous as you can easily end up with no offers at all. This is the mistake I made first time around; I really wanted to go to Cambridge (pure ego I'm afraid...) and spent loads of time picking up on the particular Cambridge style and basically ignored my other applications. What happened? 4 rejections and a realisation that actually Liverpool was the place for me... I only realised this at interview, as I hadn't bothered going to the Open Day as I was so Cambridge-focused.

Anyway, you sound as if you do quite a lot of extra-curic's, actually. Have you ever played any instruments/sports?

snap. for having cambridge as a fave then subsequently failing across the board.
snap. for having cambridge as a fave then subsequently failing across the board.

Woo! Lol. It is a very easy trap to fall into... not helped by the fact that my school forgot that getting into a vet school is good enough - they wanted their "first Cambridge Vet" so subsequently forgot about all the other uni's. It takes so much more time too, what with the SAQ and the BMAT. Having said that, I don't regret applying there - it was good experience.
Reply 4
Dave Singleton

i have never been particuarly musical- i played the same piece on the keyboard for my assesments y7-9 then dropped it!
as for sports the only thing i've really done is horseriding which i did for about 9 years then gave up when the place sold all the horses i liked.

thanks for your advice, i'l try not to set my heart on cambridge :smile: i'l go anywhere that'l take me really :yep:
Defo mention the horse riding - maybe take it up again? Whilst it is fine to have a favourite try to approach the matter with an open mind and definitely visit all the Open Days of the ones you may be interested in, if you can. Quite often, the impression you get from a website is very different from the reality - both positive and negative.
Reply 6
lol i applied to cambridge but out of the 4 it was probably my least favourite.... i wonder why i didnt get in?? :p: but then my answers at interview may not have helped :wink:
they didnt seem to care about my work experience at all and they asked me TERRIFYING science questions in interview and on paper i didnt have much extra curricular stuffage

as for the rest... i never had a favourite coz i want to be a vet and i'll end up happy wherever i go... people will always tell you their vet school is the best, even though it may not have been their top choice when they applied lol
This certainly doesn't look too shabby :smile:
Whilst your school certainly won't predict you an A* this year - you can't get them at AS as I expect you know - as long as you get high As this year they should do it when it matters. And if it doesn't look like they will, go to the head of sixth form and plead your case for needing at least one.
You're correct about the A*AA offer, but as this year is the first, its quite likely to change if they don't find it works. So keep an eye out for that.
4 A-Levels, officially, has no affect on your application, and certainly won't change the offer. no vet school will look at you badly for 'only' doing 3, so only keep them all if you're certain it won't adversely affect the ones that matter for the offer.
Good luck!

[Unless I don't get in this year, in which case I'll be reapplying with you, and will therefore wish bad things on you :smile:]
Reply 8
Heya,
I've just started at the Cambridge vet school and I can't recommend it highly enough! Any preconceptions about how nerdy everyone would be or that we'd never ever get to see an animal until 4th year are totally false!
All the vets are lovely, normalpeople and every week on thursday afternoons we have animal handling. The rest of the work is really interesting too and of all the subjects here the vets seem to have gelled the best. (I think it's because the cambridge intake is so small -about 70 or so.) We had a whole extra vet freshers week too which was fun.
My advice would really be just to go for it! -and that applies to any vet school. As long as you have the grades for a place then apply and you'll be surprised. I was made several offers last year and I'm so glad I picked Cam. However saying that, I've met vets here whose only offer was Cambridge... Also don't worry too much about which college you apply to. So many vets get their place via the pool and love where they end up. Others were even made offers just from the vet school and didn't know which college they were going to until the week after results!
Anyway if you have any questions...

and just GOOD LUCK xx
Reply 9
confusedvet
Heya,
I've just started at the Cambridge vet school and I can't recommend it highly enough! Any preconceptions about how nerdy everyone would be or that we'd never ever get to see an animal until 4th year are totally false!
All the vets are lovely, normalpeople and every week on thursday afternoons we have animal handling. The rest of the work is really interesting too and of all the subjects here the vets seem to have gelled the best. (I think it's because the cambridge intake is so small -about 70 or so.) We had a whole extra vet freshers week too which was fun.
My advice would really be just to go for it! -and that applies to any vet school. As long as you have the grades for a place then apply and you'll be surprised. I was made several offers last year and I'm so glad I picked Cam. However saying that, I've met vets here whose only offer was Cambridge... Also don't worry too much about which college you apply to. So many vets get their place via the pool and love where they end up. Others were even made offers just from the vet school and didn't know which college they were going to until the week after results!
Anyway if you have any questions...

and just GOOD LUCK xx

hey,
congrats on getting into cambridge :smile: i'm so jealous right now!
do you mind me asking how much work experience/extra curricular you had and your academics? sorry if i'm being nosy but my careers advisor at school told me I had to get at least 7A* at GCSE to stand a chance at cambridge and I only got 5 :/
Thanks for your help xxxx
mammamia:0
hey,
congrats on getting into cambridge :smile: i'm so jealous right now!
do you mind me asking how much work experience/extra curricular you had and your academics? sorry if i'm being nosy but my careers advisor at school told me I had to get at least 7A* at GCSE to stand a chance at cambridge and I only got 5 :/
Thanks for your help xxxx

Don't listen to your careers crew too much. One half of my school's double act is really enthusiastic, the other tried to get me looking at Biology etc. Tuned out of the "oh, it's very oversubscribed" a while back.

Surely 5A* at GCSE is enough? The real indicators are going to be A levels, so aim for all A's this year. :wink:
Nah, I don't mind...um I'd done 4 weeks at various vets, 4 weeks on farms, 2 at cats protection and volunteered for a year and a half at a zoo.
I did get all A* at GCSE but to be honest I really don't think anyone looks at them. Seriously, as long as you meet their requirements -which is something like grade A in maths, physics and some other stuff....it'll really all hinge on your AS marks (which cambridge ask for the exact marks of so try and work your socks off :P ) Cambridge actually interview about 90% of their applicants so then you have the chance to really sell yourself in person, which is nice.
Good luck; it's hard work but totally worth it! xx
Reply 12
Hey my name is Ariel :smile: Im planning to read veterinary science 2011 and I'm considering Cambridge too... I have 5 As with bio1,2 and chem1 full marks, but I dont think I have enough work experience... Its particularly hard for me as I study at a full time boarding school, and I can only gain work experiences in Hong Kong as during my holidays I fly over there to visit my dad who works there permanently. Currently I have 2 weeks of work experiences with an Equine vet, 2 weeks of Kennel work experiences, 1 week of working in a rescue centre and 4 weeks working in a beetle shop (ok, I know that's weird). I've also booked a work placement in a vet clinic for christmas but I'm worried they won't consider that as my application goes in in Oct. Please Help :s-smilie: I'm worried I won't get an offer from ANY vet schools. Currently I'm thinking of Cam, Bristol, RVC and Nottingham.
Reply 13
starfall
lol i applied to cambridge and they asked me TERRIFYING science questions in interview

What did they ask you, if you don't mind me asking?
Ariel Vet
Hey my name is Ariel :smile: Im planning to read veterinary science 2011 and I'm considering Cambridge too... I have 5 As with bio1,2 and chem1 full marks, but I dont think I have enough work experience... Its particularly hard for me as I study at a full time boarding school, and I can only gain work experiences in Hong Kong as during my holidays I fly over there to visit my dad who works there permanently. Currently I have 2 weeks of work experiences with an Equine vet, 2 weeks of Kennel work experiences, 1 week of working in a rescue centre and 4 weeks working in a beetle shop (ok, I know that's weird). I've also booked a work placement in a vet clinic for christmas but I'm worried they won't consider that as my application goes in in Oct. Please Help :s-smilie: I'm worried I won't get an offer from ANY vet schools. Currently I'm thinking of Cam, Bristol, RVC and Nottingham.

I applied to the same unis. Your grades sound great for all of them; assuming you're predicted at least one A*, as the Cam offer is A*AA. But it sounds like you'll be fine on that :smile:
As for work experience, what you've got there is certainly a great start, especially given your limitations. Bristol and Nottingham might be funny about the lack of SA vet and farm experience, but make sure you explain your situation in your personal statement. Cambridge don't care all that much about the amount of experience, they want really solid academics and you'll need to show in interview you've learnt from what you've done and understand what the course and profession entail. RVC are between the two really.
Good luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending