The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HadrianH
I am not a Muslim but still think that segregating a group and monitoring their activities is very wrong, without a hint of evidence to suggest that they were terrorists! Although, anyhow, if this conspiracy - I am calling it that for the moment - was true, then how would the government gather whether a person is Muslim or not? Since ISPs do not ask for one's religion when signing up... so will the government go on, assuming, using the account holder's first name, etc.? But then again, that's inevitably bound to be inaccurate. Or I suppose they link the user's address to their Home Office details, which include their religion?

This whole thing doesn't seem feasible, but it interests me.

they have links with the Internet service providers, which gives them all the details, even this message that am writing to you right now is monitored by the service provider that am using
Reply 81
Media student
they have links with the Internet service providers, which gives them all the details, even this message that am writing to you right now is monitored by the service provider that am using

You are defending them too much...you must be one of them, or a terrorist sympathizer!

:woo: Run and Hide
SirMongoose
Nice scaremongoring bro

Everything I stated in that post can be backed up with sources. It's not scaremongering, it is the simple and uncomplicated observation that the necessary powers to observe citizens in this country are already in place and already being used on a regular basis.

You're probably one of these people that's never even heard of FIT nor Netcu. You probably wouldn't even be able point out a Forward Intelligence Officer if he was standing right in front of you observing you and making notes on your behaviour, actions, and appearance. Probably never even heard of RIPA and the powers that it provides, probably never even bothered to take note when it was splattered all over the media that the government was now ordering all phone companies and ISPs to retain records on customers, probably haven't even been bothering to follow the current case in the high court which is going to force the government to declassify documents which show that the UK willingly colluded in torture and rendition.

To summarise, you probably live under a rock.
Reply 83
Whilst certainly not every Muslim is a terrorist, it looks like every potential terrorist in this modern era seems to be a Muslim. In the same way, not every young person is a mugger, but all muggers seem to be young people. I almost edited the above out, as it doesn't sound particularly PC, but I also think that it's best to stare this issue square in the face, and the above statement is for the most part true.

This isn't the British government's fault, it's doing its best to protect the general public, and whether I agree with these specific ideas or not in this hyper-PC era I applaud the government simply for taking such bold steps. I also encourage Muslims to not blame the British public for this, not even the government, but on their fellow Muslims who aren't as peace-loving as they are. They are the people who are ruining it for everyone; only by doing that can it be seen that they are not like-minded, and the British public can then see that the vast majority of Muslims don't approve of such attacks, as that is something that is currently missing from media coverage, and it would undoubtedly improve overall relations.

The government is between a rock and a hard place on this one. Either be naive and watch London get blown to smithereens or be forced to watch all Muslims just in case. Whilst this isn't fair exactly it's the closest move to being fair, there's no need to watch non-Muslims because, put simply, they haven't shown themselves to be of a regular and consistent terrorist threat yet.

As for the vast majority of innocent Muslims, I feel for you, I really do. I realise that it's not fair that all British non-Muslims watch you with suspicion, it's not fair that you have to constantly answer for what other Muslims have done and it's not fair that you have your lives invaded like this just to check that you aren't in league with Bin Laden. What else can be done? :frown:

The government seem to be going with the idea of the needs of the many vs the needs of the few?
Reply 84
Why am i not suprised that the majority of people in this thread will happpily give up their privacy and freedoms in the name of secirity. :frown:
Jack Evans
If they have nothing to hide, what exactly is the problem?

exactly

FFS people "ooooh noes, my civil libertiezzzzzz :'(, now instead of committing a crime and being punished after, i'll be stopped from committing crime!!!!"

if you ask me, they should be spying on everyone.....but, oh wait, they probably are.....anyone actually adversely affected by it? oh wait, they AREN'T!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know what to think about this. On the plus side, it's about time the government started working on prevention strategies rather than tackling the issue once these Muslims have already made the transition to dangerous extremism.
Reply 87
This is a load of b0llocks, not every person is an extremist or terrorist or even have the potential to be one. This is just trying to widen the gap between different people with different beliefs. This is the sort of article that can lead to hatred as it singles out a specific religion
pouria91
This is a load of b0llocks, not every person is an extremist or terrorist or even have the potential to be one. This is just trying to widen the gap between different people with different beliefs. This is the sort of article that can lead to hatred as it singles out a specific religion

A specific religion with a long history of inciting terrorism?

Yeah.
Reply 89
It's the day and age, I'm afraid. I don't agree with it, but most people would happily give up their principles/beliefs for security. Also, no-one seems to understand that terrorist extremists are a minority. A small, small minority.
Reply 90
35mm_

Yeah.

How long is this history exactly??
Aeolus
How long is this history exactly??

Long before Israel existed. Hatred and incitement to terrorism against the West dates back as far as the 1700s, or before.
Reply 92
35mm_
I don't know what to think about this. On the plus side, it's about time the government started working on prevention strategies rather than tackling the issue once these Muslims have already made the transition to dangerous extremism.

So you think thought crime constitutes spying on people? Removing their freedoms and privacy? Thought crime for the Muslim community?
Reply 93
35mm_

Yeah.

long history of terrorism???

We can say this about other religions aswell not just Islam.
I think your being ignorant. This is a sort of article that can create tension between different groups of people but I think the gurdian readers are not as stupid as other newspaper readers. This could even be a government propaganda to scare some people or make then feel reassured.
Aeolus
So you think thought crime constitutes spying on people? Removing their freedoms and privacy? Thought crime for the Muslim community?

I see you like hyperbole. We're already being "spied" upon. And if I were Muslim I would happily comply with this if it meant that it prevents even one future terrorism attack upon innocent civilians.
Reply 95
35mm_
Long before Israel existed. Hatred and incitement to terrorism against the West dates back as far as the 1700s, or before.

Do you have any specific examples to hand? Because i can't find any. Even if there were, it still doesn't mean that Islam was the main reason for the terrorism, nor does it mean that Muslims support or are terrorists. I can list you a number of terrorist attacks and activities carried out by the CIA. Does that mean that all Americans are terrorists? Because a hell of alot of Americans support the CIA..
pouria91
long history of terrorism???

Yes.
We can say this about other religions aswell not just Islam.

Of course but, perhaps, not in the modern age. Christians aren't flying planes into buildings or blowing up buses and the underground, are they? Christians no longer, on the whole, accept Biblical literalism unlike (the majority of) Muslims.
I think your being ignorant. This is a sort of article that can create tension between different groups of people but I think the gurdian readers are not as stupid as other newspaper readers. This could even be a government propaganda to scare some people or make then feel reassured.

I fail to see how.
Reply 97
35mm_
I see you like hyperbole. We're already being "spied" upon. And if I were Muslim I would happily comply with this if it meant that it prevents even one future terrorism attack upon innocent civilians.

Benjamin Franklin would be spinning in his grave..
Aeolus
Do you have any specific examples to hand? Because i can't find any. Even if there were, it still doesn't mean that Islam was the main reason for the terrorism, nor does it mean that Muslims support or are terrorists. I can list you a number of terrorist attacks and activities carried out by the CIA. Does that mean that all Americans are terrorists? Because a hell of alot of Americans support the CIA..

The fact that you're still claiming that Islam doesn't support terrorism shows that even if I did give you a list of examples of Islamic terrorism throughout history you'd probably still deny it.
Reply 99
35mm_
Yes.

Actually i have found some examples. One being Islamic terrorism against the Ottaman Empire, which is interesting, and also backs up the theory that Extremism has more to do with national and ethnic struggle than religous.

Latest

Trending

Trending