The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

fire2burn
Everything I stated in that post can be backed up with sources. It's not scaremongering, it is the simple and uncomplicated observation that the necessary powers to observe citizens in this country are already in place and already being used on a regular basis.

You're probably one of these people that's never even heard of FIT nor Netcu. You probably wouldn't even be able point out a Forward Intelligence Officer if he was standing right in front of you observing you and making notes on your behaviour, actions, and appearance. Probably never even heard of RIPA and the powers that it provides, probably never even bothered to take note when it was splattered all over the media that the government was now ordering all phone companies and ISPs to retain records on customers, probably haven't even been bothering to follow the current case in the high court which is going to force the government to declassify documents which show that the UK willingly colluded in torture and rendition.

To summarise, you probably live under a rock.

With 42 million texts being sent each day in the uk and 210 billion emails per day and a huge number of phone calls, I find it hard to believe that they have enough people to monitor everything being sent.
Notice how the government have specifically monitor a phone line if they suspect someone of terrorism, if they had a database of everything ever sent would they not just be able to look it up?
"In 2009 it was ruled that FIT must justify retention of photographs on a case-by-case basis. Any information that is kept is recorded on the crimint database."
Yep overt surveillance at pollitical rallies where tensions are often high really means they are spying on everyone.
government was now ordering all phone companies and ISPs to retain records on customers

********, they have proposed plans to encourage ISP's to retain data for 12 months, they havent finalised anything.

To summarise, you either scaremongering or a delusional paranoid dolt.
SirMongoose
With 42 million texts being sent each day in the uk and 210 billion emails per day and a huge number of phone calls, I find it hard to believe that they have enough people to monitor everything being sent.
Notice how the government have specifically monitor a phone line if they suspect someone of terrorism, if they had a database of everything ever sent would they not just be able to look it up?
"In 2009 it was ruled that FIT must justify retention of photographs on a case-by-case basis. Any information that is kept is recorded on the crimint database."
Yep overt surveillance at pollitical rallies where tensions are often high really means they are spying on everyone.

********, they have proposed plans to encourage ISP's to retain data for 12 months, they havent finalised anything.

To summarise, you either scaremongering or a delusional paranoid dolt.

If you'd actually even read my post you'd have noticed that I didn't say monitoring every phone call and text, I said record. But then again people like you prefer to view things through rose tinted glasses, you see what you want to see not what was written.

all of your phone records are logged, emails & texts too

This implies that time, date, duration, and recipient/sender are recorded. Not that Mr Smith is intercepting it as a middle man. If had meant intercepted and snooped on, I'd have specifically said that. The police have the powers to request this information, indeed in 2007 54,000 applications for phone record data by the Metropolitan police were approved (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4951864.ece)

So what if the ISP 12 month plans haven't been totally finalised, you as well I know that these plans will be approved it's just a matter of time. Just like every other database and piece of arbitrary 'anti-terror' legislation.

You evidently know nothing of FIT not NETCU, I bet you've never even met a FIT officer let alone even spoken to one. In fact I bet you didn't even know that it's a criminal offence to to take a picture of one despite the fact they're evidently photographing you (Section 76 of the Counter Terrorism Act). I've regularly been photographed by FIT officers when on protests and conversed with them on their actions, that photographs are justified on a case by case basis is utter nonsense I'm afraid. Those I've spoken to have admitted that like the DNA databases photos aren't deleted, it's all simply retained.

Interestingly you did not deny that all travel records are logged (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-compiles-travel-records-database-1604187.html), nor did you deny that the government lost it's recent High Court case on revealing documents pertaining to the torture of suspects (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/16/binyam-mohamed-torture-evidence-miliband), nor did you deny that RIPA makes it a criminal offence to not hand over encrypted data the maximum sentence for which is two years, nor did you deny that DNA evidence is regularly held on innocent suspects illegally, indeed several cases have gone to the High Court and European Courts in order to force the police to destroy the data.

But i'm sure if you stick you fingers in your ears and sign la la la at the top of your voice all of that will simply disapear :rolleyes:
Jack Evans
If they have nothing to hide, what exactly is the problem?

:thumbsdown:
It all seems very draconian though, doesn't it?

Monitoring members of the public for "extremist tendencies".

That is a sign of a society in turmoil.

Society should regulate itself on these things. Anyone thought unacceptable to society should be done away with
Bureaucratic utopia...
Aeolus
Isn't it strange that no suicide bombers are coming from Iran or Sri Lanka? Two of the most hardline Islamic regimes in the world. You would think that if Islam was the reason then there would be wave upon wave of extremists coming out of these countries. Yet the majority of suicide bombings etc.. Happen in places were occupation or oppression is taking place. A nationalistic cause that extremists groups such as Al Qaeda can latch on to: Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechneya, Pakistan, Palestine, Bosnia etc.. etc..

Why why why - this is a very bad day to choose Iran as a model of good Islam.

Iranian commanders assassinated

Gen Shooshtari was deputy commander of the ground force
Several top commanders in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards have been killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile south-east of the country.

BBC is my source

This happened today, try again next week, lets hope it's a bit quieter then for your sake :biggrin:
Reply 126
What would Muslims do if white Catholics blew the **** out of them? Eh? Eh? I'm pretty sure they'd take the same or worse action.
Reply 127
Rule Britannia
Why why why - this is a very bad day to choose Iran as a model of good Islam.

Iranian commanders assassinated

Gen Shooshtari was deputy commander of the ground force
Several top commanders in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards have been killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile south-east of the country.

BBC is my source

This happened today, try again next week, lets hope it's a bit quieter then for your sake :biggrin:

:facepalm: Well done, you have just proved my point. I said to you that extremism/terrorism, including suicide bombing happens in places were occupation and oppression happens. You notice that these suicide bombers were attacking the opressive revolutionary gaurd and harldine Islamic regime.

My use of Iran and Malaysia was to prove a point that Islam is not the main reason for extremism nor suicide attacks. Your point above backs this up, considering that those suicide attacks were directed at a hardline Islamic regime. So how do you explain that?
Aeolus
:facepalm: Well done, you have just proved my point. I said to you that extremism/terrorism, including suicide bombing happens in places were occupation and oppression happens. You notice that these suicide bombers were attacking the opressive revolutionary gaurd and harldine Islamic regime.

My use of Iran and Malaysia was to prove a point that Islam is not the main reason for extremism nor suicide attacks. Your point above backs this up, considering that those suicide attacks were directed at a hardline Islamic regime. So how do you explain that?

Bali bombings. Nice one, want to dig your hole any deeper? :smile:

Now that was done against a westernised nightclub, not a hardline Islamic regime.

It's quite easy to explain - the Islamic regime are the wrong kind of Muslims. As we've seen how evil Islam has been to her neighbours - she is even worse to sister-sects in the Sunni/Shia divide - just look at Iraq and these bombings in Iran. It's horrifying how Muslims even treat other Muslims over a slight theological difference. Any surprise the rest of us get the heebie jeebies over Muslims?
fire2burn
If you'd actually even read my post you'd have noticed that I didn't say monitoring every phone call and text, I said record. But then again people like you prefer to view things through rose tinted glasses, you see what you want to see not what was written.

HURR lets make assumptions because "logged" can be interpreted differently.

fire2burn

This implies that time, date, duration, and recipient/sender are recorded. Not that Mr Smith is intercepting it as a middle man. If had meant intercepted and snooped on, I'd have specifically said that. The police have the powers to request this information, indeed in 2007 54,000 applications for phone record data by the Metropolitan police were approved (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4951864.ece)

So 54000 out of 519,260 have been approved, none of which contain what was in the message only whom and when a phone call was sent. This information can be used to identify if someone has been in contact with a terrorist or not. I fail to see what is so horrifying about it.

fire2burn

So what if the ISP 12 month plans haven't been totally finalised, you as well I know that these plans will be approved it's just a matter of time. Just like every other database and piece of arbitrary 'anti-terror' legislation.

Incase you didnt know a previous database plan for the same thing has been scrapped, why would this one be any different?
But you carry on claiming that it will diffinately be put in place just to further your argument. :rolleyes:

fire2burn

You evidently know nothing of FIT not NETCU, I bet you've never even met a FIT officer let alone even spoken to one.

QUICK LETS MAKE MORE ASSUMPTIONS. Whether I have talked to one or not is irrelevant.

fire2burn

In fact I bet you didn't even know that it's a criminal offence to to take a picture of one despite the fact they're evidently photographing you (Section 76 of the Counter Terrorism Act).

I just read that section, and you're talking rubbish. It doesnt mention not being allowed to take a picture of them.

fire2burn

that photographs are justified on a case by case basis is utter nonsense I'm afraid.

[Citation needed]

fire2burn
Those I've spoken to have admitted that like the DNA databases photos aren't deleted, it's all simply retained.

You are going to need proof other than saying "some guy somewhere said that they keep every piece of info on you".

fire2burn

Interestingly you did not deny that all travel records are logged (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-compiles-travel-records-database-1604187.html),

Because thats not what we were discussing and its irrelevant.

fire2burn

nor did you deny that the government lost it's recent High Court case on revealing documents pertaining to the torture of suspects (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/16/binyam-mohamed-torture-evidence-miliband),

Just because you make some points that are correct does not mean everthing else you say is correct. Besides governments have always tortured people and it's not going to change, no point arguing over it.

fire2burn

nor did you deny that RIPA makes it a criminal offence to not hand over encrypted data the maximum sentence for which is two years, nor did you deny that DNA evidence is regularly held on innocent suspects illegally, indeed several cases have gone to the High Court and European Courts in order to force the police to destroy the data.

Again I would like to see some proof. As I dont know much about the RIPA or any European Court cases.

fire2burn

But i'm sure if you stick you fingers in your ears and sign la la la at the top of your voice all of that will simply disapear :rolleyes:

Yep you keep making assumptions, becuase you have a weak argument.
Reply 130
Rule Britannia

Bali bombings. Nice one, want to dig your hole any deeper? :smile:

Oh dear.. Could you miss my point any more spectacularly? You attribute extremism and terrorism solely to Islam. So i have asked you why there are not wave upon wave of extremists/terrorist/suicide bombers flooding out of the most hardline Islamic regimes such as Iran or Malaysia to attack the west. After all if Islam automaticallly=terrorism and destruction of the west, then it would be logical to conclude that all Islamic states(or at least their populations) would now be at war with the west.

As we've seen how evil Islam has been to her neighbours - she is even worse to sister-sects in the Sunni/Shia divide

Wow, you don't know much about Islam do you? Sunni and Shia Islam are not sister sects. They are different interpretations. Islam is not a singular entity it has many different sub divisions and interpretations, so im not sure what you are getting at there. I can name plenty of conflicts between catholics, protestants, othordox, lutherian etc..etc.. Does christianity give you the "heebie jeebies".
Rule Britannia

It's horrifying how Muslims even treat other Muslims over a slight theological difference. Any surprise the rest of us get the heebie jeebies over Muslims?

Ah yes, the noble "rest of us."

If you are either a Protestant or a Catholic, you need to seriously think about your life and how quickly you point the finger at other people.

If you aren't, two words: IRISH HISTORY :rolleyes:
Reply 132
If Muslims resent being spied on then there is always the option of going to Saudi Arabia for good. Mecca will close too. So roll up your carpets and off you lot go. Good bye and don't come back.

Latest

Trending

Trending