The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Hurrah, in the nick of time I have submitted my York funding application. Why did I leave it so late? I don't know. But it made me ever so excited about the prospect of studying there. Some of the modules are amazing :biggrin: And it is so wonderful to be dealing with a university which responds to applications immediately and has a specific date by which funding applicants can expect to hear the result ...

Roll on the 15th ... best of luck fellow applicants!
Hi people,

I have received an offer from LSE for the ADMIS course and received no GSS Support (internal graduate support). Could I possible get funding from elsewhere? I was really relying on this support scheme.
Reply 202
One more funding form to fill in and then I'm finally done :biggrin:
Reply 203
Hey people, I applied for ahrc funding and just found out I'm a reserve candidate. Was anybody, or does anyone know of someone, who was a reserve but ended up getting it? I'm leaning towards thinking no one is going to be too likely to turn it down, but reserve lists must exist because there has been some need for them, right? :o:
Imlah
Hey people, I applied for ahrc funding and just found out I'm a reserve candidate. Was anybody, or does anyone know of someone, who was a reserve but ended up getting it? I'm leaning towards thinking no one is going to be too likely to turn it down, but reserve lists must exist because there has been some need for them, right? :o:

Well some lucky people are awarded two different AHRC fundings, and therefore have to turn one of them down.
Reply 205
I've applied for AHRC at York; been waiting for an email all day but still haven't heard! Anyone else heard anything? They said they'd let people know on 15th...makes me worried...
Reply 206
Idril
I've applied for AHRC at York; been waiting for an email all day but still haven't heard! Anyone else heard anything? They said they'd let people know on 15th...makes me worried...

I got an email saying no funding :frown:, so maybe silence will be a good thing for you?
Reply 207
No, it means that should you be offered funding from both universities, you must accept one and decline one before you are nominated to the AHRC. If you don't, and the AHRC recieves two (or more) nominations for you, they reserve the right to reject both or all of them. Thus, you would lose your funding and it would pass to the next reserve.

You can apply for funding at both, but you can only accept funding (if awarded it) from one. Failure to do so would be a costly problem, but you are otherwise free to apply for both and follow the money.
Dann
I got an email saying no funding :frown:, so maybe silence will be a good thing for you?

Sorry mate :frown: do you have any more pokers in the fire elsewhere?
Reply 209
The unis nominate you, and the AHRC basically rubber stamp it, although technically they can disagree with the uni nominations. So if two unis tell you they are nominating you, that's when you will have to accept and reject one.

Competition is fierce because the funding is so scarce, so I think they tell you how unlikely it is to soften the blow when you don't get it. You may as well go for it though, since you have nothing to lose by doing so, and a fair bit to gain.

Is this for 2010 entry or 2011? Because I had thought that most of the uni deadlines to submit ahrc apps had already passed?
Reply 210
IlexAquifolium
Sorry mate :frown: do you have any more pokers in the fire elsewhere?

I have an interview on (next) Monday at UCL, so going to plough into that. And still haven't heard back about offer or funding at my third place, so you never know.
Reply 211
Dann

Sorry Dann :frown:

Right, you can apply to as many as you like so like Ilex has asked someone else, you can have as many pokers in the fire as you want. If you are then lucky enough to get nominated more than once for funding, you then decide which university & the funding you want to take up/accept.

The info you quoted regards applicants who have been nominated as you are only able to submit one J-ES form which then gets checked over my the AHRC and confirmed.

So get filling in both :wink:
Reply 212
Put it this way, I've got 4 applications :wink: No worries - AHRC is a minefield to understand at the best of times :smile: Best of luck!
Does anyone know of funding opportunities for overseas (or US) students in taught programs whose deadlines have not yet passed?

I know about the Clan Campbell & Donald scholarships for the Scottish unis, and some of the Rotary funds are still available. Anything else?

Thanks!
Reply 214
Dann

Sorry you didn't get it. In the end I didn't either, heard a few hours later I'm not getting AHRC for York. So I know how you feel! :frown:
Got an offer from Oxford today which kinda makes me feel better (except that I can't go there without getting funding either, so..). Hope your other apps go okay!
Has anyone heard anything promising from Edinburgh? I'm supposed to hear "in early April". I have been very clear with all of my prospective supervisors that this will come down to money, but I feel like a jerk accepting more than one offer!
Got an email back from Sheffield, apparently they are going to let people know next week about whether they put you forward for funding or not....very stressed but at least I will have more of an idea soon. If I don't get put forward I might think about applying to LJMU so I can live at home.
An update - Sheffield tell me I have funding subject to AHRC approval :biggrin: :biggrin: Very happy today now!
Reply 218
happydinosaur
An update - Sheffield tell me I have funding subject to AHRC approval :biggrin: :biggrin: Very happy today now!

Congrats! Well done! I'm an AHRC reserve desperately hoping someone turns it down!!
Imlah
Congrats! Well done! I'm an AHRC reserve desperately hoping someone turns it down!!

Fingers crossed for you!

What course & where? I know loads of people still in two minds about whether they actually want to go do the courses they've applied for so its possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending