The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Thanks for the replies. Just enquired and found out that I am second reserve, i.e. 3rd in line for the funding if you count the person who's orginally been offered it, so that's something I suppose. Now just got to keep my fingers crossed that 2 people turn down their offers...
Original post by DawnB
Thanks for the replies. Just enquired and found out that I am second reserve, i.e. 3rd in line for the funding if you count the person who's orginally been offered it, so that's something I suppose. Now just got to keep my fingers crossed that 2 people turn down their offers...

Good stuff. It's definitely not impossible and there may be little movement until the 11th hour - the first reserve may get another offer, for example, which they will take if they've any sense. In that respect it may work in your favour to be second down the line. You just have to hope the first person makes up their mind and doesn't keep you hanging for ages. Finally - if this is what you really want, try not to be put off. Let the department know that you're really keen and ask if they'd help proof your application for next year.
Reply 522
Original post by DawnB

I was second reserve for a fees-only masters scholarship this year, and did not get it. But at doctoral level things are different because, as IlexAquifolium pointed out, a lot of good applicants will have a number of funding offers. Some people will also turn down a funding place simply to go to a prestigious university; it is not unheard of. But from your point of view, what I would take away from this is the fact you are near the top. If you do not secure funding this time then there is a good chance of you securing it next time!
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Good stuff. It's definitely not impossible and there may be little movement until the 11th hour - the first reserve may get another offer, for example, which they will take if they've any sense. In that respect it may work in your favour to be second down the line. You just have to hope the first person makes up their mind and doesn't keep you hanging for ages. Finally - if this is what you really want, try not to be put off. Let the department know that you're really keen and ask if they'd help proof your application for next year.

Slightly relevant to this conversation, a couple of weeks ago I was at a do and coincidently met the other two people who were interviewed for the same scholarship that I'm on now... *awkward*.
Original post by LawQueen
Slightly relevant to this conversation, a couple of weeks ago I was at a do and coincidently met the other two people who were interviewed for the same scholarship that I'm on now... *awkward*.

Been there! Did they go onto other good things?
Reply 525
Original post by DawnB
I'm gutted. I just found out that I've been given '2nd reserve' status for ESRC funding to study my dream PhD. I've been waiting 3 months to hear the outcome and I was hoping for better news than that :frown:

My question is - has anyone ever been on the reserve list for a PhD and if so, what was the outcome? Do you think I even stand a chance?

I just can't imagine - knowing how difficult it has been for me to try to secure funding - that 2 people will turn down their offers :frown:

- Well, I don't mean to give false hope, but I was reserve for funding at Cambridge (they did not specify which reserve place) and was recently notified that I had now been promoted from the reserve list and offered funding. So no, it's not impossible.
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Been there! Did they go onto other good things?

One got another scholarship at the university I'm at, the other didn't seem to be doing much :s
Reply 527
Hello, I am new here... sorry if this came accross before but:

is there any Spanish national lurking around here? I would like to know if any of you had experience with heavy loans from Spanish banks, and which banks give very good offers... in case it wasn't clear... I am spanish :P

cheers!
Just found out I've got an ESRC scholarship. Over the moon!

If anyone wants to ask any questions about the process feel free.
Congrats Kafka, I just got an ESRC scholarship too!!!!!! I'm up in Scotland. Absolutely buzzing right now - too bad I have to work today, I want to be out celebrating already!!!
Congratulations Tasha!
Well done all :five:
Reply 532
Congratulations Kafka and Tasha! Still waiting for news from Surrey... I just called and my supervisor has heard nothing but clearly the decisions have been made, I guess they're still just filtering through. Cannot concentrate at work at all!
Reply 533
Just thought I'd come back to update - following my previous post:

Can I just start by saying "WHHHHHHHHOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!"

*ok, and breathe, and calm..*

incase it's not obvious, I GOT THE ESRC FUNDING for my dream PhD - absolutely OVER the moon :smile:

Congrats to everyone else who's just found out they have funding & thanks to everyone for the supportive replies to my last message!
congratulations to everyone else in the ESRC club :biggrin:

good luck gherkins - fingers crossed for you!
Can anyone tell me - do they send you an acceptance letter which you have to sign and send back if you have been offered an ESRC award?

Although I found out yesterday, I am going away for a month next week and I am worried they might send me a letter with a deadline date to reply by during that month.
Kafka - I had a form from Nottingham which I had to sign to say I was accepting the award. They gave me about three weeks to make up my mind (though I needed about two seconds!). I would suggest you just call the Postgrad admin, or whomever deals with awards, and say that you want to take up the award, but are about to leave the country for a month.

I'm sure they can speed things up for you :smile:
Reply 537
Original post by flying plum
congratulations to everyone else in the ESRC club :biggrin:

good luck gherkins - fingers crossed for you!

Oh thank you! I heard unofficially yesterday that I got a departmental scholarship, just waiting for confirmation now. So yay! :smile:
Original post by flying plum
Kafka - I had a form from Nottingham which I had to sign to say I was accepting the award. They gave me about three weeks to make up my mind (though I needed about two seconds!). I would suggest you just call the Postgrad admin, or whomever deals with awards, and say that you want to take up the award, but are about to leave the country for a month.

I'm sure they can speed things up for you :smile:

How long after you found out you had got the studentship did they send you this form? I had an email forwarded to me by my supervisor which came from the DTC board saying that they were approving the recommendations, but I haven't heard anything else yet.
Yay! I got a confirmation of the 1+3 scholarship i've been awarded yesterday!... It was for Sheffield so I had to sign a form online saying I accepted with a confirmation emailed back to me.... Good luck to everyone who's yet to here and Congrats to everyone who's been granted it!!.... Looking forward to starting the PHD now, a little anxious, but definately excited!! xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending