The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

apotoftea
Gah, I wish universities would update their websites for 2010 entry funding :banghead:

^ This!

It's so frustrating!
15faitsprecis
^ This!

It's so frustrating!

E-mail the department in question and ask about their 2010 funding. That's what I did with Goldsmiths. Good thing really, otherwise I'd be faffing around with their paper application when I can't afford to go there :rolleyes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
E-mail the department in question and ask about their 2010 funding. That's what I did with Goldsmiths. Good thing really, otherwise I'd be faffing around with their paper application when I can't afford to go there :rolleyes:

Ah yes, did this yesterday! But still waiting to hear back from them (UCL). I'll give them a few more days though, I've got enough to be getting on with in the mean time with the rest of the application!
15faitsprecis
Ah yes, did this yesterday! But still waiting to hear back from them (UCL). I'll give them a few more days though, I've got enough to be getting on with in the mean time with the rest of the application!

Hope you hear from them soon :smile: Goldsmiths were quite quick but I was waiting about 2 weeks with Liverpool :eek:
I don't realy understand all the funding malarky. I'm just going to apply to where I want to go and deal with the funding issue later.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hope you hear from them soon :smile: Goldsmiths were quite quick but I was waiting about 2 weeks with Liverpool :eek:

Did Goldsmiths tell you anything helpful? I get a sense of dread every time I think about funding :gasp:
15faitsprecis
Did Goldsmiths tell you anything helpful? I get a sense of dread every time I think about funding

They told me they have no money to offer me... so no :p:

FadedJade
I don't realy understand all the funding malarky. I'm just going to apply to where I want to go and deal with the funding issue later.

Funding is seriously malarkey. Took me aaaaaaaaaages to actually understand it all and quite a few unis are annoying vague about the whole thing :s-smilie:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
They told me they have no money to offer me... so no :p:

Ugh how very annoying. Hope you have better luck with your other uni's :smile:
Reply 48
FadedJade

I would not advise this :no: you could end up with a bunch of acceptances with places you can't afford to go, while there are funded places staring you in the face.
I won't get funding, and I'm not going to apply to unis that I don't want to go to!
Reply 50
FadedJade
I won't get funding, and I'm not going to apply to unis that I don't want to go to!

Why won't you get funding?
I'd rather be at a university that was 'quite good' rather than 'very good' if it meant that I got to complete my degree rather than dropping out halfway through due to brain-scrunching penury.
Edit: Sorry, I was in a really :colonhash: mood when I wrote this.
Because of my **** degree.
I just really want to stay at Reading for my PhD. I don't want to go anywhere else.
What degree are you studying?

Reading is one of the BGP universities
Philosophy
I wouldn't give up hope. I had a look at your university's page on funding and there's a few studentships you can apply for.

The University Postgraduate Research Studentship (the one at the end) looks particularly interesting
Oh I'm going to apply for everything I can find, I just don't think I'll get it. If I'm a warden in fresher's halls I get free accommodation (inclusive of bills) so I'm going to look into how to apply for that, as that would take out a great deal of the problems.
Are you concerned about your marks?

If you're on track for/have a 2:1 or a first, you should be okay :smile:
I already have a degree, I'm doing a masters. But no, my undergrad marks were rubbish for reasons beyond my control.
Reply 58
FadedJade
I already have a degree, I'm doing a masters. But no, my undergrad marks were rubbish for reasons beyond my control.

Don't give up just yet - my BA marks arn't earth shattering and I'm still applying for funding (mitigating circumstances over here too)
FadedJade

My first year marks are appalling but I'm still applying for funding. My tutor said he'd write about how my marks don't reflect my potential, blah blah (dunno whether he actually wrote that or not!), so hopefully I might get some kinda funding. Am sure you'd be in a better position having extenuating circumstances and having already got onto a Masters course :yes:

15faitsprecis
Ugh how very annoying. Hope you have better luck with your other uni's

Thanks. I'm applying to some places abroad which are ridiculously competitive but have full funding, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending