The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

OK, thanks you two! I have just spoken to the AHRC and indeed they have told me that if I have been resident for the three years preceding the award I will be entitled to the full award and that the department could call them to verify this with them. So I've sent another email to the department telling them this. Hope it works out!
Reply 621
Original post by MagLatus
OK, thanks you two! I have just spoken to the AHRC and indeed they have told me that if I have been resident for the three years preceding the award I will be entitled to the full award and that the department could call them to verify this with them. So I've sent another email to the department telling them this. Hope it works out!

Excellent :biggrin:
Original post by MagLatus

By the way - this changed in 2005 (so that EU students could count undergrad degrees for the three years' residency and thus be equally eligible), as a result of the Bidar judgment, but a lot of University admins don't know this. The ESRC is possibly the least clueless:

http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding-and-guidance/funding-opportunities/looking-for-funding/eligibility.aspx
Just got an email from UCL saying I am 'one of their nominees' for the AHRC, followed by info about how much money I would get/how it would be paid etc. I'm a bit confused, as in the interview for my course they said there would be another interview to decide who got AHRC funding, but the email makes no mention of that, so have a feeling they might have selected me - does this sound right? Also, after doing some research it seems that if UCL have indeed chosen me, I will need to make an application to the AHRC who will then decide whether I am awarded funding. How likely is it that they will accept/reject me at this stage?

I've replied to UCL asking for clarification but if anyone could put my mind at ease in the meantime that would be great! Don't want to get too excited :wink:
Reply 624
Original post by thepiglette
Just got an email from UCL saying I am 'one of their nominees' for the AHRC, followed by info about how much money I would get/how it would be paid etc. I'm a bit confused, as in the interview for my course they said there would be another interview to decide who got AHRC funding, but the email makes no mention of that, so have a feeling they might have selected me - does this sound right? Also, after doing some research it seems that if UCL have indeed chosen me, I will need to make an application to the AHRC who will then decide whether I am awarded funding. How likely is it that they will accept/reject me at this stage?

I've replied to UCL asking for clarification but if anyone could put my mind at ease in the meantime that would be great! Don't want to get too excited :wink:

If you are one of their nominees, you don't have to do anything. UCL have to submit a J_eS form nominating you etc but under the new scheme, it's the university's decision, not the AHRC :smile:

And if that's what the email says then many congrats :biggrin: You may find they've selected on first interview performance or application form solely, it sames time :wink:
Original post by apotoftea
If you are one of their nominees, you don't have to do anything. UCL have to submit a J_eS form nominating you etc but under the new scheme, it's the university's decision, not the AHRC :smile:

And if that's what the email says then many congrats :biggrin: You may find they've selected on first interview performance or application form solely, it sames time :wink:

Wow - sounds promising then, thank you!
Reply 626
Hi all. Just popping in to moan about the fact that because my parents jumped ship and moved us to America when I was too young to have a choice, I am now going to be an overseas student when I return to jolly old England this September for my masters course. Also because of this, I am severely limited in funding options. I think I've just exhausted the very last possibility. I applied to AHRC, to the International Student Scholarship offered by my college, and I also applied for an external bursary specifically offered to students in my programme. Lastly, I went for a smaller bursary on a post grad website. Is there anywhere else that I missed? I'm desperate!
Plan on doing a LLM in Corporate Law at Nottingham Law School in September (Currently a 3rd year LLB student at Nottingham Trent), and plan on applying for a Professional and Career Development Loan (probably from the Co-op first) soon to help fund it. Anyone got any tips on applying for these at all?
I got pursuaded to take out a credit card with my current bank to build up a credit history for when I do come to apply for the loan....hope it manages to work!
Reply 628
I've accepted an offer at leeds metropolitan today to do my post grad diploma in counselling and psychotherapy, I don't think there is much funding available but the uni will give me a 10 per cent discount

fees: 3,700 for 2 years possible increase

I'll get £500 scolarship automatically as all post grad students automatically get this. I'll then get 10% discount as I'm a graduate of the university.

My question is though; how do others play it. Isn't it silly to accept a course before funding is in place?
Reply 629
Original post by Syrupie
My question is though; how do others play it. Isn't it silly to accept a course before funding is in place?

I understand your predicament. I got a relatively good 2.1 and applied to both Oxford and UCL for an MPhil and an MA (respectively). Though I applied at roughly the same time, my offer for UCL came in much quicker than my offer for Oxford.

I was kind of worried about committing to either to start off as I'd applied for AHRC funding at both and hadn't heard back. I wasn't sure if I could commit to both and then later reject one offer. I've since discovered that accepting more than one postgraduate offer is frequently done and in fact UCL stated that they know that your acceptance may be subject to obtaining funding and that you can pull out later. I sent Oxford an email accepting but adding the caveat that I'd need to arrange funding to be able to take up my place.

For a number of reasons (both financial and because of the course) I've since decided UCL is the place for me, so immediately sent a polite email turning down the place at Oxford. The response I got was very sympathetic and they seemed fine with it all.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Pherenike
I understand your predicament. I got a relatively good 2.1 and applied to both Oxford and UCL for an MPhil and an MA (respectively). Though I applied at roughly the same time, my offer for UCL came in much quicker than my offer for Oxford.

I was kind of worried about committing to either to start off as I'd applied for AHRC funding at both and hadn't heard back. I wasn't sure if I could commit to both and then later reject one offer. I've since discovered that accepting more than one postgraduate offer is frequently done and in fact UCL stated that they know that your acceptance may be subject to obtaining funding and that you can pull out later. I sent Oxford an email accepting but adding the caveat that I'd need to arrange funding to be able to take up my place.

For a number of reasons (both financial and because of the course) I've since decided UCL is the place for me, so immediately sent a polite email turning down the place at Oxford. The response I got was very sympathetic and they seemed fine with it all.

Hope that helps!

just to add that indeed, thats what most postgrads do and it's perfectly OK.
Btw Pherenike may I ask what course you applied to? I was just wondering if its classics related (because of your name :tongue:)
Reply 631
Pherenike and Corinna, thank you for responding. I was emailed my letter and just accepted it. They should be aware from my interview that it's subject to me obtaining funding. I'm just praying I don't have to pull out :s-smilie: .. I'm hopefuly going to do my post graduate diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy, I need to do this to get on with my career.

I have a credit card and an overdraft but I'm not in it at all. I have a student loan too from my undergraduate.

I don't work at the minute either. I'm looking to work again, I have worked since graduating.

Sorry to ask a load of questions but I have no idea about this kind of stuff. I guess I wait until June to apply for a PCDL from the Co - op or Barclays? I don't think I can apply for help from funding bodies because I'm not doing a research degree.

thanks
Reply 632
Original post by *Corinna*
Btw Pherenike may I ask what course you applied to? I was just wondering if its classics related (because of your name :tongue:)

I'm doing an MA in Principles of Conservation. I did my undergrad in Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, hence the name.

Syrupie - I think it's very common for postgrad students to be in your position. I also have a student loan and haven't even begun to pay it off. It's worth checking with your university/educational institution whether there are any scholarships you can apply for. As for reasearch council funding - you may well be right (though research council funding is not solely restricted to research - e.g. my MA comes under the AHRC's professional preparation master's studentship scheme, designed to develop professional skills). I really think it's likely that there will be some funding that you are eligble for somewhere - your graduate diploma sounds useful and practical - it might be worth looking into funding from charities/your LEA. Do you have the 'Alternative Guide to Funding'? If not and if you'd like it, then PM me your email address then I can send it to you.
Reply 633
Thanks again Pherenike

I have messaged you

The uni I'm *hopefully* attending offer an automatic scholarship so that's cool but it won't cover everything including living expenses but it is a useful 'something' at least.

thanks again
Syrup
ps: If anyone is wondering as to my name: I have a horse/pony called Maple Shooting Star so I took 'Syrup' as a nickname - Maple Syrup!
Reply 634
I'm confused: so does an AHRC studentship cover the cost of the entire tuition fee (regardless of how much it is) or does it just cover the £3000 or so it seems to suggest on the website?

This has been bugging me for some time! Some people seem to suggest that this depends on the uni...
Reply 635
I'm confused: so does an AHRC studentship cover the cost of the entire tuition fee (regardless of how much it is) or does it just cover the £3000 or so it seems to suggest on the website?

This has been bugging me for some time! Some people seem to suggest that this depends on the uni...

I think it covers the full cost of the fees (unless the university pay the difference which I doubt). I've not had the Registry chasing me to pay the difference...
Reply 636
Original post by apotoftea
I think it covers the full cost of the fees (unless the university pay the difference which I doubt). I've not had the Registry chasing me to pay the difference...

Thanks for your quick reply. Just confused by this I suppose:

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Documents/MaintenanceFeesRatesUpdatedMarch2012.pdf

I am so grateful for the funding (and have been over the moon for weeks) but my course fees are around £8000 so obviously if the funding didn't cover them all I'd need to budget for that... I *really* hope it does (as I have other postgrad plans to save for etc) but I will still love them forever even if it doesn't. Does anyone know what the £3628 or £3828 bit refers to if not the amount they'll pay towards fees?
Reply 637

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Documents/MaintenanceFeesRatesUpdatedMarch2012.pdf

I am so grateful for the funding (and have been over the moon for weeks) but my course fees are around £8000 so obviously if the funding didn't cover them all I'd need to budget for that... I *really* hope it does (as I have other postgrad plans to save for etc) but I will still love them forever even if it doesn't. Does anyone know what the £3628 or £3828 bit refers to if not the amount they'll pay towards fees?

Oh. I'm not sure with regards to fees being that high! Might be worth an email to double check :smile:

The email I received about my funding says:
The MA fees will be much higher than the AHRC fee element of the award, but students are NOT expected to pay the difference the department will cover this.

So it seems as though it is down to the uni to decide whether they will cover the difference - or it could be standard practice. I agree with apotoftea that you should contact your uni to make sure - hope you get good news! :smile:
Reply 639
Hello,

I'm in my second year of university and really want to do a post grad in something related to politics or politics in a particular part of the world. My main issue like hundreds of other posts is funding. How do I secure funding, I don't want to ask my parents as it's a bit unfair on them and I know that they will give me the money, but I want to be independent and do this by myself. So where do I begin, is there something like SFE available, or do I take a loan out, just really where do I start? Also when will I have to apply for universities (I graduate in 2013)? Is it this September?

On a broader note, I'm currently doing a degree in English and Politics, if I had to convert my degree into law so I could become a solicitor, how would I do this?

Thank you in advance and any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest