The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bebaki
Has anyone applied for the PhD Leeds studentships? Have you heard back? I was shortlisted and had interview last week but I haven't heard since. They did say we would know by mid April but I was wondering whether people who have been picked already know.

Is that the White Rose one or just Leeds ? if its White Rose I think the results are from 7th April.
Reply 1181
Original post by Jan2555
Is that the White Rose one or just Leeds ? if its White Rose I think the results are from 7th April.
Hi, it's the LARS scholarships. I was told in the interview we would know by the mid of April, online tracking says after 10th of May:s-smilie: Do you know how it works in terms of who is informed when?
Original post by Bebaki
Hi, it's the LARS scholarships. I was told in the interview we would know by the mid of April, online tracking says after 10th of May:s-smilie: Do you know how it works in terms of who is informed when?

Im afraid not sorry
Reply 1183
Original post by mastersquery
Hi

I've been offered some funding to do a masters at my uni but have applied to another place that I'd rather go (the unis are of about the same standard). I have a place at this second uni but no funding yet - however I know that they offer funding later.

The deadline for responding to the offer of funding that I have is very soon and I probably won't hear back (re funding) from the second uni before the deadline.

If I accept the funding from my uni, how big a problem would it be to turn it down if I were to get funding from the other uni?

Thanks!!

I think you should accept the offer for funding that you currently have. Wait for the second uni to respond. If the funding comes through for the second you can always decline the first one. You have to think of your interests first. If you feel you wouldn't fit well with uni 1 then you shouldnt go for it. Uni's expect these sort of things. So it shouldn't be a big problem unless you are rejecting the offer too close to the course start date. I did the same thing for my PhD scholarship from Leeds when I received another better offer from London. They took it really well and even wished me luck for my future studies in London.
Reply 1184
I got accepted to the MSc programme in Neuroscience on February 12 and I got rejected from my first college choice, Merton, on March 1. I have since then heard nothing from admissions, do you think I should wait or contact them?
JOY

I got a full PhD studentship for a fantastic project. So far I've only got an email but the official letter should be here soon, then I can post more details.
Reply 1186
Has anyone ever been on the "reserve list" for funding? I applied for a scholarship for full funding for my MSc, and there are only 3 scholarships available. I was told that only successful applicants receive a reply, and then received a reply saying I was on the reserve list. Has anyone ever had any success with this? When did you find out if you had been bumped up to fully funded status? I am being too optimistic? Was this their hook to lure me into accepting my place anyway? I have made alternative funding plans, not all my eggs are in this basket, but I'd like to know sooner rather than later of course!
Original post by apotoftea
Just so we don't clog up other threads, thought we could have a funding based moans/questions/despair/rant/possibly happy? thread :smile:

I'll start - the AHRC funding or lack of is causing me sleepless nights :frown: For something like my research area, unless I hop over into an English department somewhere, I'm severely limited to where I can apply (and with other factors like location, supervisor) to the extent that it's really 8 places with 2 being 2 of the best universities in the world. :frown:

Also for those not in the know, some suitable wiki links:

Funding in general: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Funding_Postgraduate_Study
Funding in the Arts: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Postgraduate_Funding_in_the_Arts
Funding in the Social Sciences: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Postgraduate_Funding_in_the_Social_Sciences

Hi there,

Great idea for a thread! We get a lot of questions about funding for postgraduate study, so it's really helpful to have a place for people to share their questions/moans/possible joy with each other :smile:

I thought I'd share this in case anyone here would find it a helpful opportunity - we have a Postgraduate Drop-In Evening coming up, where they'll be a specific funding talk and the chance to speak to our funding advisors who can answer your questions.

Thanks,
Corinna
Kingston University staff
Hi,
Has anyone applied to the Leather Sellers Charity for funding? If so, would you mind me asking a couple of questions?
Thanks
I'm currently on a full-time Masters(taught) four modules Sem 1and four Sem 2 with a dissertation in the summer. I'm still perplexed why SFE are paying me £5000 over two years instead of just £10,000 over a year. Is anyone else in this situation?
Can I just moan - I do understand that this is a bit of a first world problem - but I just want to shout my frustrations to the world. I have been accepted to Oxford for a MSc program and got an offer from Oriel College. They urged me to apply to fully funded scholarship, which I did but I unfortunately wasn't shortlisted for further consideration. I do realise that I have nothing to moan about but without this scholarship, I wouldn't be able to afford to go so I'll just take this as a sign from the universe that I should just continue working. :-)
I have to say I find your post incredibly arrogant. Not everyone can have a career when they are younger. People have many different experiences which mean they don't always get the opportunity to go to university at 18. Some people also change careers, jobs in later life, and it's incredibly judgemental of you to assume people like me are somehow 'past it' and less deserving than a younger person to get funding. An older person doesn't necessarily have more income, in fact they are likely to have more outgoings, a mortgage, children, etc.
I think you need to get more life experience before you start judging the value of other people's aspirations. They are just as valid as yours.
Sorry I'm a bit out of the loop, but are postgraduate degrees (taught course) funded by SFE now.. entirely?

My course is 11.5k, and I see that SFE say they can give up to 10k.

When was this a thing?!
Original post by geeeeorgia
Sorry I'm a bit out of the loop, but are postgraduate degrees (taught course) funded by SFE now.. entirely?

My course is 11.5k, and I see that SFE say they can give up to 10k.

When was this a thing?!

Last two years. Only certain taught Masters degrees, Check carefully.

Just remember a) its loan (so add that to your existing SF debt and work out of its actually worth it) b) it will not even cover fees, never mind living expenses, so how are you going to pay for everything else?
Hello!

Getting ready to submit my preliminary application to the ESRC for a 1+3 PhD at SOAS and terrified I won't even make it past the first hurdle!
is there funding in philosophy? I know not much in Master's but I what about in PhD? I don't know what sort of industries would fund research in philosophy.
Can somebody who started their post grad degree in January Last year AND recieved an SFE loan tell me what their Year 2 SFE payment schedule looks like ?

I've asked SFE but they've told me that I'll only find out once Year 2 (aka the second academic year begins) ;$
Hello. I'm an American student who was just accepted to Oxford's biochemistry doctorate program w/ the supervisor I want to work with. If the department says that they nominated you for a scholarship to cover all the fees for the duration of study, is it possible that this nomination would not go through? What are possible reasons for this? I wasn't one of the top three interviewers so they weren't able to confirm funding for me. I'm not entirely familiar w/ the British admissions system so if someone can explain this I'd really appreciate it.
Original post by despoxcam
Hello. I'm an American student who was just accepted to Oxford's biochemistry doctorate program w/ the supervisor I want to work with. If the department says that they nominated you for a scholarship to cover all the fees for the duration of study, is it possible that this nomination would not go through? What are possible reasons for this? I wasn't one of the top three interviewers so they weren't able to confirm funding for me. I'm not entirely familiar w/ the British admissions system so if someone can explain this I'd really appreciate it.

Yes it's possible for the nomination to not end up in a funding offer. The uni/dept may have a pot of money which each dept/supervisor can nominate people for. The money will go to the top nominees as decided by the uni/dept level committee. What do you mean when you say you weren't one of the top interviewees? Have you been told anything about your funding yet apart from the nomination?
Original post by alleycat393
Yes it's possible for the nomination to not end up in a funding offer. The uni/dept may have a pot of money which each dept/supervisor can nominate people for. The money will go to the top nominees as decided by the uni/dept level committee. What do you mean when you say you weren't one of the top interviewees? Have you been told anything about your funding yet apart from the nomination?

Thanks for this. I was told by my PI that the department was able to automatically confirm funding for the top interviewee. He said that other people like me, who were ranked highly in the interviews have to wait until the committee meets in a few weeks.

Apart from that my funding is not confirmed but I have been nominated for a scholarship that aims to cover all my fees.

Another question I would have is: under what criteria are these scholarships given to students? Is it just/mostly GPA or will they look research experience and other things? Are these scholarships hard to get for American students?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending