The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whatsinaname
If it's a continuum then there may well be a point where you didn't think something was "a person worth caring about" but there could, equally, be someone that does. Again, who gets to decide either way?

I don't really think that's a problem. I might put in effort to prevent late term abortions at the point when I think it's worth doing (I would if they were legal), and someone else might do the same at a different point. I don't mind if people are trying to prevent early abortions by education and contraception (as long as they aren't using the law, as I would never do even with extremely late abortions), even if I think it's pointless for them to do so.

Elipsis
Here we go again with another made up right. Bodily autonomy is trumped up to say the least. You have the right and the means at your disposal to not put a life in your body, once you have chosen to undergo the act which is intended to result in a child you accept the consequences. A womans right not to carry her own child will never out weigh the child's (that she put there) right to live. That childs bodily autonomy as you would call it would be totally destroyed. I would agree with you if pregnancy was a life time deal, but in reality it only truely affects your life and your ability to live it for about 3-5 months tops. When the choice is a slightly harder 3-5 months of life for a woman, or the life of the child she chose to put there, the decision is very easy. Please don't give me a hoorah about how it might kill someone, when it is the actual life of the mother I think abortion is a neccessity that is never the less tragic.

So does my right to life trump your right to not donate organs to me?
Elipsis
Perhaps if we get sick of our elderly relatives we can butcher them in their sleep? They aren't sentient and they do take up a lot of our time and money.

And I guess knocking someone unconscious and then killing them isn't wrong either.

Oooh, the possibilities are endless. :smile:
Spain has a lot of religious nutbags, news at 11.
clair1987
It has the potential to become one yes. However using your argument (playing devils advocate here) it could also be argued that if 2 people were to not use protection, it would result in a pregnancy (at some point) and therefore would eventually become a person. Using protection stops this potential, just the same as abortion does, just at a different stage of development.

No but the egg hasn't been fertilised so there is no foetus in the first place. The main difference here is that the sperm is being destroyed (sperm is not the same as a foetus as it does not have the capacity to become a child) and the egg is being left untouched. In abortion, a foetus is destroyed which is very different from sperm which as I said before, do not become children and there are millions of sperm produced naturally everyday compared with the foetus which is a lot more difficult to produce as it is the product of a sperm and egg which has developed.
Reply 84
Elipsis
Here we go again with another made up right. Bodily autonomy is trumped up to say the least. You have the right and the means at your disposal to not put a life in your body, once you have chosen to undergo the act which is intended to result in a child you accept the consequences. A womans right not to carry her own child will never out weigh the child's (that she put there) right to live. That childs bodily autonomy as you would call it would be totally destroyed. I would agree with you if pregnancy was a life time deal, but in reality it only truely affects your life and your ability to live it for about 3-5 months tops. When the choice is a slightly harder 3-5 months of life for a woman, or the life of the child she chose to put there, the decision is very easy. Please don't give me a hoorah about how it might kill someone, when it is the actual life of the mother I think abortion is a neccessity that is never the less tragic.

If a woman thought she was harming her own anatomy, she wouldn't go through with an abortion!
Reply 85
Apocalypte
Spain has a lot of religious nutbags, news at 11.

the only nutbags are the secular militants

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=764_1255811038
nolongerhearthemusic
I don't really think that's a problem. I might put in effort to prevent late term abortions at the point when I think it's worth doing (I would if they were legal), and someone else might do the same at a different point. I don't mind if people are trying to prevent early abortions by education and contraception (as long as they aren't using the law, as I would never do even with extremely late abortions), even if I think it's pointless for them to do so.

We are going in circles here, and you keep changing your argument. Earlier you offered a precise point at which something becomes a person (when it has human DNA and sentience), then you realised that you could not identify such a point, so said "it's a continuum." Either way you're deciding whether a foetus should live or not by something that is purely subjective. I'm not arrogant enough to think that I have the authority to make such a choice.
Diaz89
the only nutbags are the secular militants

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=764_1255811038

How does being secular make you a nutbag?

Personally I disagree with anyone trying to enforce their view on me, it should be enough that you have easy access to the information, not have someone standing outside trying to convince you their beliefs are the only one's you should have
Reply 88
clair1987
How does being secular make you a nutbag?

Personally I disagree with anyone trying to enforce their view on me, it should be enough that you have easy access to the information, not have someone standing outside trying to convince you their beliefs are the only one's you should have

Isn't that all secularists do? And what's wrong with Freedom of speech, it has become taboo to be socially conservative.
Whatsinaname
We are going in circles here, and you keep changing your argument. Earlier you offered a precise point at which something becomes a person (when it has human DNA and sentience), then you realised that you could not identify such a point, so said "it's a continuum." Either way you're deciding whether a foetus should live or not by something that is purely subjective. I'm not arrogant enough to think that I have the authority to make such a choice.

I said that a person has human DNA and sentience. I then said that sentience was a continuum. So whether someone is a person or not is also a continuum. There's no need to set lines or boundaries. One foetus can be less of a person than another, if it's less sentient, and it can be less worth caring about than another, i.e. if I could "save" one foetus, I would choose the more developed one - they are not equal. I don't actually need to choose a point at which a foetus is worth anything, because I don't want abortion to be illegal.
EmiiCYBER
I wouldn't say abortion is inexplicably evil, at any rate. Sometimes I think religion should have less of an influence.

Correction: religion should have NO influence.
Whatsinaname

Ending the pregnancy ends a life. A foetus, scientifically speaking, is alive. It doesn't suddenly become 'alive' when it pops out of a vagina. The point of having the foetus inside the mother is to protect it from the world while it's still vulnerable. There is no magic man that breathes 'life' and 'consciousness' into a human when it's born, or cut out of the womb.

I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other on this debate, I've condemned abortion as murder and thought of it as a choice reserved for every woman. I think that I am finally settling down on an opinion that I find acceptable.

Firstly, those that believe ending a pregnancy is preventing a life from coming into fruition, killing the foetus. I equally believe that by this logic that contraception is murder. Contraception prevents two clearly vital parts of life from ever combining and giving that particular potential foetus life. You prevent that particular child from ever being born into the world much in the same way that an abortion prevents a child from beginning thought and consciousness. For me, arguing that this is not the case is merely another debate about where life starts, by preventing it from starting are you killing it?

I am pro-abortion, however I feel it's important to state where I think life begins. I previously thought that life begins when a human becomes self aware, I do not personally believe a foetus at any stage is self-aware as I have never personally recollected feeling alive pre-birth and therefore I thought life began upon leaving the womb and being separated from the mother. I soon felt like this was a cruel basis for abortion as a foetus on a particular day could be born early and survive, whereas it could be aborted on the very same day, and given my definition of life, that would not be equal to murder.

Instead I believe that when a foetus is capable of surviving outside of the womb independently it should be considered alive. To abort something which is otherwise perfectly capable of surviving is unthinkable.

Of course this raises the question; When do you determine a foetus is capable of independent existence? This is why I believe the current system where there is a cut off point is preferable. If the latest date allowed is set very early in the pregnancy there is no/very little chance of the child being able to live outside of the womb at the point of termination.

Of course, I would prefer personal responsibility in all of this. While our primal desires drive us to have sex it would be wise to exercise self discipline or at least common sense to prevent such situations arising.

Then again, I also believe that while abortion is still legal men should also be able to exercise a similar right and remove all connections to the unborn child. If women have the capability of preventing their responsibility to a child by aborting it, men should be on a similar playing field. Equality and all that jazz.

Slight side note: Slightly more accurate sources state that the crowd would have been up to 63,300. If you can read Spanish, click here
Diaz89
Isn't that all secularists do? And what's wrong with Freedom of speech, it has become taboo to be socially conservative.

Secularists do inforce a viewpoint, yes. "The view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs"

To me this means that when in my own personal life I can practice my own belifs and morals. In your personal life you can practice your own religion and morals, as can everyone else. I don't tell you that you have to believe what I believe and thats the end of it, no if's and but's. Hence why in my opinion secularism is good, it makes us all equal.

As for freedom of speech, like I said as long as the information is available that should be enough, they are practicing their freedom of speech. If I was interested in pro-life groups or pro choice groups I can go to the library or search the internet amongst many things. I don't want or require someone screaming in my face or waving a big sign in front of me trying to convince me their way is right and its the only way.
Diaz89

LOL!

Social conservativism =/= freedom of speech
Reply 94
clair1987
Secularists do inforce a viewpoint, yes. "The view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs"

To me this means that when in my own personal life I can practice my own belifs and morals. In your personal life you can practice your own religion and morals, as can everyone else. I don't tell you that you have to believe what I believe and thats the end of it, no if's and but's. Hence why in my opinion secularism is good, it makes us all equal.

As for freedom of speech, like I said as long as the information is available that should be enough, they are practicing their freedom of speech. If I was interested in pro-life groups or pro choice groups I can go to the library or search the internet amongst many things. I don't want or require someone screaming in my face or waving a big sign in front of me trying to convince me their way is right and its the only way.

Go and re watch the video and see what happened.
Diaz89
Go and re watch the video and see what happened.

I think you misunderstand me, I don't care who's doing it, nobody should do it regardless of whether its a view point I agree with.
Reply 96
What's wrong with these broads?

Abortions for everyone!
Reply 97
indigoblue
You're thinking too much from your own experience of life. You're already a grown adult. You're not relevant.

A foetus in a womb is waiting to be born. Thats it's destiny.

Hahahahahahaha.
Those crazy Spaniards.
TheLandOfNorwegia
I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other on this debate, I've condemned abortion as murder and thought of it as a choice reserved for every woman. I think that I am finally settling down on an opinion that I find acceptable.

Firstly, those that believe ending a pregnancy is preventing a life from coming into fruition, killing the foetus. I equally believe that by this logic that contraception is murder. Contraception prevents two clearly vital parts of life from ever combining and giving that particular potential foetus life. You prevent that particular child from ever being born into the world much in the same way that an abortion prevents a child from beginning thought and consciousness. For me, arguing that this is not the case is merely another debate about where life starts, by preventing it from starting are you killing it?

I think this is pretty clear actually. Sex cells have only half the number of chromosomes humans do. An embryo has the same number, therefore it can be considered human. It's not a case of how much it has to develop before it's worth saving. You are still developing for years and years after your birth. The purpose of sex cells is to fuse. They are not adapted to survive for long periods of time. Once a sperm cell meets an egg cell it injects it's genetic material and the rest of it dies. The purpose of an Embryo is to grow.

I am pro-abortion, however I feel it's important to state where I think life begins. I previously thought that life begins when a human becomes self aware, I do not personally believe a foetus at any stage is self-aware as I have never personally recollected feeling alive pre-birth and therefore I thought life began upon leaving the womb and being separated from the mother.

Have you personally recollected being alive in the first few months after birth? No, of course not. Does that mean your induced death then would have been anything less than murder?

Instead I believe that when a foetus is capable of surviving outside of the womb independently it should be considered alive. To abort something which is otherwise perfectly capable of surviving is unthinkable.

Of course this raises the question; When do you determine a foetus is capable of independent existence? This is why I believe the current system where there is a cut off point is preferable. If the latest date allowed is set very early in the pregnancy there is no/very little chance of the child being able to live outside of the womb at the point of termination.

One foetus may be capable of surviving outside the womb at a particular point, but another may not. What if a foetus is aborted but the next day new medicine becomes available that would have kept it alive outside womb, had it not been killed?

"Little chance" is still some chance. Should we start refusing treatment to people with little chance of surviving?

Of course, I would prefer personal responsibility in all of this. While our primal desires drive us to have sex it would be wise to exercise self discipline or at least common sense to prevent such situations arising.

Then again, I also believe that while abortion is still legal men should also be able to exercise a similar right and remove all connections to the unborn child. If women have the capability of preventing their responsibility to a child by aborting it, men should be on a similar playing field. Equality and all that jazz.

Well I agree with you there.

Latest

Trending

Trending