The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Briiissssttoolllll!!
Blackpool? :awesome:
Reply 22
Fusion
Leeds is an interesting reply; it's certaintly not a city I'd have assumed fitted the description. I guess the financial sector and uni lures in lots of outsiders?

I suppose you mean for the "cosmopolitan" factor?

Well for good or ill it has one of the highest levels of inwards migration of all UK cities recently. Take from that what you will.
Norwich. :awesome:

No really, Norwich. It's pretty cool.
Reply 24
Frodz
I suppose you mean for the "cosmopolitan" factor?

Yes. That's certaintly a positive sign.
Liverpool :woo:
Reply 26
Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol......
Reply 27
Suppose Birmingham as well actually, though I'm not a fan myself...
Reply 28
Leeds and Manchester.
Reply 29
why are people saying Leeds?!
its tiny compared to London aswel!

id say Manchester, Liverpool or Newcastle
Reply 30
betty2
why are people saying Leeds?!
its tiny compared to London aswel!

id say Manchester, Liverpool or Newcastle

So are all the other cities. :rolleyes:

Liverpool is smaller than Leeds btw (and in my experience, feels it too), and so is Newcastle for that matter........
Reply 31
AndyK67
The West End (area around Glasgow Uni) is generally pretty 'cosmopolitan'/studenty.

Being 'studenty' certainly does not make you cosmopolitan.

Always thought of Edinburgh as a wee bit pretentious though.

Quite the contrary, I think Glasgow wins that award for all its dodgy looking spivs hanging around in their poorly cut suits ordering bottles of champagne they've never heard of. Edinburgh is far more laid back.
Reply 32
I'm offended that people would call Manchester and Liverpool "mini-Londons". They are nothing like London, thank ****.
Reply 33
OhNO!
I'm offended that people would call Manchester and Liverpool "mini-Londons". They are nothing like London, thank ****.

True they aren't, in a good way, but that's more a problem with the question!

They are however more like London based on the requirements asked for than say, Chorley :rolleyes:
Reply 34
So basically, looking at all the serious replies, you should go to any of the big cities....
Reply 35
Frodz
So are all the other cities. :rolleyes:

Liverpool is smaller than Leeds btw (and in my experience, feels it too), and so is Newcastle for that matter........

Yes they are smaller and none of them fit the description of 'mini-London' but Liverpool and Manchester certainly have more to offer than Leeds!
Reply 36
Frodz
True they aren't, in a good way, but that's more a problem with the question!

They are however more like London then say, Chorley :rolleyes:

They're similar to London in that they're English cities, but the idea of moving to Manchester in the hope that it'll be like London but cheaper just baffles me. Move to Manchester because it's Manchester! I think the OP is a bit "off" in what they're looking for out of a city.
Bombay
Reply 38
Cardiff? Wales is part of UK.
Liverpool certainly has a nice feel to it! It is NOTHING like London, in a good way, but it has that life to it which makes it a fun place to live. The nightlife has everything you could hope for... from upmarket chav palaces (i.e. Walkabout...) to full on student **** holes with pints for 70p AKA THE RAZ!! But anyway.... :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending