Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Difference between Graphic design and Graphic Communication?

Announcements Posted on
At uni or currently applying? Take our short accommodation survey to win one of 5 x £20 Amazon vouchers 25-06-2016
  1. Offline

    Whats the difference between Graphic Communication and Graphic Design?
    Im goin uni next year, and i was lookin into these degrees, but whts the difference?
  2. Offline

    What does the prospectus say? I'm a self employed graphic designer, and to me all graphic design is made to communicate a message, otherwise it could be classed as art.
  3. Offline

    btw, did u have an art alevel?...The uni im looking at says i dont need to have one..but some say i do. Would u say its gna be hard for me coz i dnt have 1?
  4. Offline

    The lines between this stuff are very vague, you'll find a lot of creative courses have very ambiguous names. Contact them and ask what THEIR course involves.

    Have you done an art and design foundation though you didnt do an a level? If not, your portfolio will need to be pretty amazing.
  5. Offline

    (Original post by IamMyself)
    btw, did u have an art alevel?...The uni im looking at says i dont need to have one..but some say i do. Would u say its gna be hard for me coz i dnt have 1?
    I did Fine Art and Graphic design as A-levels back in 2000...then went straight to uni (after a 3 year gap year lol). Technically as long as you can display a body of work that shows creativity integrated with technical ability then you should be allowed in on merit.
  6. Offline

    graphic design is a general course and graphic communication means you can specialise in a specific area of design (which for me turned out to be brilliant as i got to do what i love and it enabled me to get straight into my chosen field when i left)
  7. Offline

    Simply put, there isn't much of a difference. The term 'graphic design' is the universally accepted one, but occasionally colleges and universities may decide to name their courses differently. In recent years, the word 'communication' has been used, which is essentially what 'graphic design' does, visually communicate an intended message. The most common I find are: 'graphic design communication', 'design communication' and 'visual communication'. They are basically 'graphic design', with a slight emphasis perhaps on the communicative aspect, not the technical (which is more like advertising).


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 7, 2009
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Which way did you want the referendum to go?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.