The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know someone who is :ninja:
how can i join?
I knew someone who was. I don't think theres anything dodgy about it, they're a private society whose intentions are purely innocent.
Reply 4
You have to be invited to join, my partners Dad is a mason he got my partner an invite, He turned it down , don't think that went down too well with the Dad.
Reply 5
I thought they just get together and have parties and thats about it!
taurus26
I thought they just get together and have parties and thats about it!

There's others benefits to freemasonry, such as if a copper does you for speeding, he'd let you off if you were both freemasons.
Reply 7
2 Minute Warning
There's others benefits to freemasonry, such as if a copper does you for speeding, he'd let you off if you were both freemasons.

My grandad wore a ring with his initial on it, and when he died he left it to my dad. And the ring flipped round to show the freemason's insignia on the other side. Which I thought was quite cool!

Apparently there's a secret handshake? What is it?
I can't help but think of that particular simpsons episode where Home joins such a society.
Shady people, they iz. And yup trying to join would be like pulling teeth (no even harder)
Reply 10
I've been in the local Masonic hall (or temple, or whatever they call it) a good few times over the years since they hold plant sales and stuff. They've also got a Masonic care home (who knew, eh?) nearby.

My maternal grandfather was pretty high-ranking with them. When he died, we found all his weird certificates, order books and stuff. Very bizarre.
Reply 11
To join you need to either pay them a large sum of money or be recormended by two other members and have some sort of reason for joining.

They have a websie I believe.
Reply 12
taurus26

Yeah, my grandfather started doing it to me when he got a bit senile. As far as I can discern, you reach over with your thumb and place it between two knuckles.
I know people that are. It all seems a bit weird to me. I got told by one of them he uses it mostly for networking and his business though :dontknow: Strange
Reply 14
L i b
Yeah, my grandfather started doing it to me when he got a bit senile. As far as I can discern, you reach over with your thumb and place it between two knuckles.

And depending where you put your thumb dictates your rank.
what are free masons???
Reply 16
taurus26

Afaik a masonic handshake is like a normal handshake except instead of gripping the other person at the knuckles at the back of the palm you grip the knuckles at the middle of their fingers.
Reply 17
DeeDub
Afaik a masonic handshake is like a normal handshake except instead of gripping the other person at the knuckles at the back of the palm you grip the knuckles at the middle of their fingers.

Gotcha

Although I'm trying that now and it feels the same as I would usually handshake someone. Although I am trying to hand shake myself... and that never works
We have one of these at home which my Mum inhertited from her Grandfather:

I really want to know what the symbols mean.
Freemasons are evil

Latest