The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
totalnatal
anyone?I'm asking this because the courses in microbiology and biotech are interesting and I'm doing a scientific baccalaureate and I'm predicted around a 14 or above in biology.

Thanks

Why on earth would you wanna take microbiology??? :eek:

Sorry I've just got a very bad impression of microbiology after doing my Biology coursework, where I had to count the number of yeast cells :mad: and the growth rate didn't even make sense - I wasted some 5 hours getting results I was gonna ditch anyway!

Gave me a bad back (ok for only like 10min :rolleyes: ) and wasted time and I got SO bored counting - and the cells didn't even look interesting!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
finnstar
that half rhyme has to be the nicest form of optimism ive come across!! thank you! :biggrin: somehow i have a feeling that it was consolation to yourself too, because as each paper flies by, thats what you tell yourself.. i know this because during my exams.. i told myself this very same thing..

You tried your best,
Now hope for the best,
It's out of your hands,
So sit back and relax :biggrin:

:smile:
*too mellow a post*

Hehe glad I cheered you up :biggrin: So now that's our Optimism treeeeee poem :biggrin: YAY!

Yeh I've been telling myself I don't wanna remember my Biology questions - I've forgotten most of them :biggrin: and it's like, I've done it now - don't wanna worry about it. Although I'm glad it's out of the way :smile: feels like finally I've stopped waiting and I did something about it!

Although I just thought this morning - I should've applied for BSc Neuroscience AS WELL AS MSci Neuroscience both at Nottingham - that way I could've put the BSc as insurance :redface: and I wouldn't be worrying about this!!! Meh! - if only I knew I wanted to do Neuroscience at Nottingham when I'd applied :frown:

Although yeh - that's my plan - beg them to take me on the BSc course if I do slip :redface: but hopefully I won't. I looked at my AS Chem past papers and I had got mid-Cs consistently and ended up with BBC, overall C, mark off a B in the actual thing :rolleyes: So in theory, if this happens again at A2, except this time I'm looking at marginal B's in past papers - I *should* in theory - *hopefully* get slightly higher, which would be a mid B... Hmmm let's hope so - in the past I've always got higher in the actual thing compared to my past papers!

Woooo Chemistry exam this afternoon! :marchmell (erm... :rolleyes: :eek: :frown: )
Reply 42
GOOD LUCK IRIS!
Reply 43
and if the optimism tree had flowers.. they'd be called 'luckies'... haha

well if i do not get into food science, i will try going for Food Microbiology.. which is similar but does not exactly makes my clock tick..

alternatively iris, you could try applied biology.. which includes micorbiology, plant and food science too.. since bio is your fav subject..?

alternatively there's plant science since you like pretending to be a tree so much (weeee!?)

then theres a nutritionist.. the difference between nutrition and food science is that nutrition is how the food affects the body and stuff.. while food Sc is how the food is prepared, as in from raw materials etc.. less focused on how it affects the human body..
Reply 44
That's what I'm going to do , if I don't get in politics , I'll propose to take a place in biotech!
yeh i was at one of the histroy days :smile: they held a few though, i think mine was something like the 16th feb!
Reply 46
totalnatal
That's what I'm going to do , if I don't get in politics , I'll propose to take a place in biotech!

do a lotta research into your course.. when you tell them you'd wanna try for another course instead, you should be ready to answer any question and show your interest by speaking on relevant topics on the subject.. i mean they wont let someone do food science if that someone couldnt careless about how milk is packaged..
Reply 47
don't worry , I'll get into it!I'm even willing to make the air trip to go there and prove them I'm worth it!
Reply 48
Also I'm in the scientific section so I'd be pretty normal to go into biology...It's doing politics which doesn't really make any sense lol
I´m not sure for business but I know that if you take the IB Notts might accept you with a 37/45 for economics. I asked the admissions tutor for this info and she said there is no way they will accept you if you get 2 IB points under the offer... If you take the IB I think you might get in if you drop 1 point under what they ask for. If I get a 36 on the IB I am thinking of asking for a place on the management course because there is no way I want to go anywhere other than notts.
Reply 50
dan_iel_2000
I´m not sure for business but I know that if you take the IB Notts might accept you with a 37/45 for economics. I asked the admissions tutor for this info and she said there is no way they will accept you if you get 2 IB points under the offer... If you take the IB I think you might get in if you drop 1 point under what they ask for. If I get a 36 on the IB I am thinking of asking for a place on the management course because there is no way I want to go anywhere other than notts.

What would 36/37/38 points be in A level grades. I need AAA/AABB for economics. But that's seriously in doubt after my maths exams. I don't have a clue whether they'll accept me with AAB though.
98cesc
What would 36/37/38 points be in A level grades. I need AAA/AABB for economics. But that's seriously in doubt after my maths exams. I don't have a clue whether they'll accept me with AAB though.

I don´t think they will accept you with AAB...if they do I´ll fight with them haha! I was told 36 was unacceptable and a 36 in IB is equivalent to a AAB. The lowest they will accept is AABB which is a 37 on the IB. Whether you can get in with a AABB will depend on the numbers. That is why I have to wait for you guys to get your a-level results in August if I don´t meet the offer. This is because there is no way they can tell if they can offer me a place based on what the IB students get alone.

I am going to pull out my calculator and start making estimations of my grades...it always gives me confidence that I can make it.
Reply 52
dan_iel_2000
I don´t think they will accept you with AAB...if they do I´ll fight with them haha! I was told 36 was unacceptable and a 36 in IB is equivalent to a AAB. The lowest they will accept is AABB which is a 37 on the IB. Whether you can get in with a AABB will depend on the numbers. That is why I have to wait for you guys to get your a-level results in August if I don´t meet the offer. This is because there is no way they can tell if they can offer me a place based on what the IB students get alone.

I am going to pull out my calculator and start making estimations of my grades...it always gives me confidence that I can make it.

How does that work. AAB is 36 altogether, but if you get a whole other A Level at grade B its only worth one more mark. Plus I don't think these things are set in stone, the chances are not everyone is going to make their offer and since not that many people do four A Levels there is still a likelyhood that a couple of people might make up the rest of the numbers with AAB. I do also know for a fact that AABB does get you in since AAA/AABB is my offer.
Reply 53
finnstar
and if the optimism tree had flowers.. they'd be called 'luckies'... haha

well if i do not get into food science, i will try going for Food Microbiology.. which is similar but does not exactly makes my clock tick..

alternatively iris, you could try applied biology.. which includes micorbiology, plant and food science too.. since bio is your fav subject..?

alternatively there's plant science since you like pretending to be a tree so much (weeee!?)

then theres a nutritionist.. the difference between nutrition and food science is that nutrition is how the food affects the body and stuff.. while food Sc is how the food is prepared, as in from raw materials etc.. less focused on how it affects the human body..

Ooh thanx YJ :smile:

Chem went ok - there were one or two questions where I sat there and thought :wtf?: but in those questions I just reverted to reciting the models answers I had memorised :biggrin: so I should get a few marks for those questions if I'm lucky :rolleyes: but anyway overall it went ok :smile: Not sure if it was a C or a B :confused: I *think* if all went well I'd have got a low B - let's hope that's the case!

And Finnstar now in reply to your post :biggrin: ooooooooooooh if that's applied Biology then I don't think so :p: I hate plant science with a passion it's SO boring! I quite like Ecology but I like the wildlife side :smile: and weird and wonderful things like carnivorous plants :biggrin: And Food Science - not sure by the sounds of things I think I'm more interested in Nutrition as opposed to Food Sci - how it affects the body would be interesting :smile: perhaps that's why I'm doing Neuroscience - ALL about how things affect the body! - and why I thought I wanted to do Pharmacology and even Medicine :biggrin:

But why wouldn't you wanna do Food Science at Reading instead of say do Food Microbiology at Nottingham? You should do the subject you love! My problem is I won't be doing Neuroscience at Reading that's the main difference.
well heres to hoping that they are leniant because my A in history is seriously in doubt now, all because of sillyness! grrrrrr i hate the fact that all the year has come down to 3 exams..... i want to send them all my essays and stuff form the year that prove i can do history very well when exam boards are not arse holes!
Reply 55
Does anyone else think that Notts should be giving easier offers. I know its a top ten Uni and loads of people apply. But once they've worked out who they want it shows they think they're good enough, so is it really necessary to be giving out so many AAA or even AAB offers. It's understandable for them to want people to get an A in the subject they want to do, but is it really that critical that someone gets an A in a totally unrelated subject. Part of me thinks this has got a lot to do with league tables.
Just looked at clearing for last year, and there was like loads of places for my course, where they wanted CCC!!! :eek: Blimey... I feel slightly better now.

Scared I might get a D in maths tho :bawling:
Reply 57
irisng
Ooh thanx YJ :smile:

And Finnstar now in reply to your post :biggrin: ooooooooooooh if that's applied Biology then I don't think so :p: I hate plant science with a passion it's SO boring! I quite like Ecology but I like the wildlife side :smile: and weird and wonderful things like carnivorous plants :biggrin: And Food Science - not sure by the sounds of things I think I'm more interested in Nutrition as opposed to Food Sci - how it affects the body would be interesting :smile: perhaps that's why I'm doing Neuroscience - ALL about how things affect the body! - and why I thought I wanted to do Pharmacology and even Medicine :biggrin:

But why wouldn't you wanna do Food Science at Reading instead of say do Food Microbiology at Nottingham? You should do the subject you love! My problem is I won't be doing Neuroscience at Reading that's the main difference.

well, theres this big monster at Reading that eats innocent marshmellows, and there's no one to look out for me there.. so its a scawy place and then theres the dark oak tree with the crooked branch which keeps capturing innocent food scientists so i want to stay away from the evil oak and Reading is so much farther from Glasgow, which is not good because my sister is in glasgow and i want to visit her more often and i want to experience the sherwood forest experience as well as pretend to be a gargoyle and dance in the shadows in nottingham castle.. so dont tell anyone this. :biggrin:
Reply 58
ooo the only arts course Notts had in clearing was vikng studies! They only estimate an intake of 5 though, so you would have to be pretty quick to get a place. I owuldn't mind doing that if i somehow missed my offer. It's quite English based anyway, it just focuses on Viking literature.

I doubt i would go through clearing if i didn't get into notts. When i thought i might be rejected from all my choices (it was looking that way) i had resigned myself to a gap year, so that's what i would do, take a gap year and try again. Especially with English being so competive, i can't imagine that English is on a lot of uni's clearing lists. xx
Reply 59
mousey
ooo the only arts course Notts had in clearing was vikng studies!

well actually, like I said above, they also had philosophy and a bunch of language things and possibly a couple of others as well in arts, its just that they would have got taken off the list as they filled up. If those are still on there, then it's probably because they were slow to fill up/didn't get filled at all. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending