The Student Room Group

Vodafone Interview

I have my second interview for Vodafone soon and I was just wondering if anyone who works for them, or has had the face-to-face interview before could give me a few tips. Or clues to what they're likely to ask :smile:

Also, how strict are Vodafone on dress code, e.g. body piercings?

I have two lip piercings, which I will be taking out, and I'll be wearing clothing that covers the rest, but I have quite large stretched lobes and was just wondering whether they'd be a problem? And whether I should invest in some flesh-tone jewellery to make them a little more discreet.

Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
First question : "so, which network are you currently with..."
Reply 3
Really? :lolwut:
Reply 4
NO lol. Although if they do ask you that, you better say Voda!
Reply 5
Oh, phew. I can't say Vodafone, surely they'll want to check or something :ninja:
I'm not sure if you got the email pack;

In our eyes, an interview should always be a two-way process, an opportunity for us to get to know each other. If you haven’t had much experience of interviews, it’s likely you’ll suffer from nerves. But it’s important to remember this isn’t unusual and an experienced interviewer will even expect it. However, spending time preparing for your interview will help to steady your nerves and increase your confidence.

Preparation
Imagine leaving the interview knowing that you are the perfect candidate for the job. It could happen, and the following guidelines will help immensely.

Researching Vodafone
What do we do? Where are we located? How big are we? Who are our main competitors? You can find out all this information, and much more, at www.vodafone.co.uk Alternatively, you can look in the press or explore our company literature.

Knowing the job
What skills, qualifications and experience are we looking for? What kind of person would be ideal in the role? The job description should provide all the answers you need.

Understanding yourself
Consider your own skills, qualifications and experience. Do you have any examples that illustrate these and are relevant to the job? Try and remember instances during your time at school, college or previous work experience – times when you demonstrated skills that could be transferred to the role. Think about what you did, how you did it and the results you achieved. Now consider your personal strengths, and try and support your thinking with examples from your education or employment.

Once you’ve done some preparation, you’re half way there. The next step is to get your personality across and create a good impression.

Ever heard the saying ‘first impressions count’? Well, this is particularly true in an interview. It’s all very well having the right skills and experience, but you also need to impress the interviewer as soon as you step through the door. Again, preparation is everything:

Be early – aim to arrive 10 to 15 minutes before the interview begins.

Dress appropriately – play it safe. Conservative dress (generally a suit) is usually appropriate for most situations. It’s also important to wear something that you feel comfortable in.

Be confident, polite, positive and enthusiastic– confidence can play a big part in your success. If you think about it, you are interviewing the company as well. Always give a firm handshake, smile, speak clearly and express your enthusiasm for the role.

Body language – this is non-verbal communication that we use every day without realising. It’s important to be aware of the basics: maintain good eye contact, and try not to look at the wall or floor; sit in a relaxed manner, but try not to slouch or sit bolt upright; keep your hands on your lap or on the table in front of you, and try not to scratch, fidget or wave your arms about.

Be honest and relevant – stick to the facts. Be clear and concise and only answer the question that’s being asked. It’s easy to get carried away and tell the interviewer everything about you, but if it’s not relevant, it will probably not impress.

Personality – the best advice here is to be yourself. You can never be sure of the type of personality an employer is looking for, so play it safe. The assessment will be based on competencies, so it’s important to treat the situation as realistically as possible. Don’t play a part or act a role, behave the way you would do normally.

Plan your journey – always plan your route to the interview carefully, including train, tube and bus journeys – and leave plenty of extra time.

The interview is approximately an hour long event that consists of a competency based interview. We use this selection tool as part of our recruitment process because it is recognised as a fair and reliable method of matching the right person to the right position. The interview will also provide you with a fantastic opportunity to gain an insight into the organisation.

Competency based interviews

Having passed your telephone interview, you’ll already have experience of a competency based interview. It’s a style of interviewing that’s widely used among employers because an applicant’s relevant past performance is the best predictor of future performance. During this kind of interview, you’ll be able to demonstrate particular behaviours or skills that you’ve developed through your education or in the workplace. By the answers you give, we’ll be able to gauge how you’ve reacted to, and dealt with, previous situations.

We’ll ask you to give an example of a situation or task that led you to take a certain course of action. Probing questions will then be used to determine the course of action you took, the changes that were created by those actions, and the effects of those actions on other people.

Useful tips

If you don’t understand a question, just ask for some clarification. It’s expected, and you won’t be penalised for it. If you need time to collect your thoughts – take it. It’s better to think for a few moments and answer the question concisely than to ‘waffle’. Never respond to a question with just ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Always expand your answer, giving as many examples as possible.

Don’t forget, the interview is an opportunity to sell yourself: highlight your achievements and skills. If they are relevant to the question being asked, and you can give examples to support what you are saying, it’s not bragging, it’s proving that you’re perfect for the job. An observation from a boss or another colleague can work wonders too. For example, "My last employer promoted me because of my excellent organisation skills and conflict management”.

How can I prepare for this type of interview?

Prepare for the interview in the normal way. By researching the company thoroughly you’ll be able to talk through the experience and skills described on your CV. Most candidates find this type of interview more interactive and enjoyable and it’s likely that the interviewer will encourage you to be much more open than you would be in a traditional interview.

How will I be measured?

Again, the interviewer is looking for certain behavioural competencies. They’ll be aware of a specific group of behaviours and will look for evidence of these within the exercise.

Useful Websites

www.vodafone.co.uk
www.reed.co.uk
www.impactfactory.com
www.multimap.co.uk or www.streetmap.co.uk or www.theaa.com
www.nationalrail.co.uk
www.nationalexpress.com
Reply 7
Sakura-Chan
I have my second interview for Vodafone soon and I was just wondering if anyone who works for them, or has had the face-to-face interview before could give me a few tips. Or clues to what they're likely to ask :smile:

Also, how strict are Vodafone on dress code, e.g. body piercings?

I have two lip piercings, which I will be taking out, and I'll be wearing clothing that covers the rest, but I have quite large stretched lobes and was just wondering whether they'd be a problem? And whether I should invest in some flesh-tone jewellery to make them a little more discreet.

hey what role are you applying for?
Reply 8
irfy
hey what role are you applying for?

Sales assistant/advisor :smile:
Reply 9
Sakura-Chan
Sales assistant/advisor :smile:

cool, in leeds? what does the work involve?
Reply 10
*MEGA SIGH*

I applied for this and had my phone interview what seems like ages ago, I phoned the guy who interviewed me like I was told to, and I only get his voicemail. I've had no contact about a further interview, even though I got told I was getting one.

Shall I just presume that they're not that arsed about me any more? :sad:
Sakura-Chan
*MEGA SIGH*

I applied for this and had my phone interview what seems like ages ago, I phoned the guy who interviewed me like I was told to, and I only get his voicemail. I've had no contact about a further interview, even though I got told I was getting one.

Shall I just presume that they're not that arsed about me any more? :sad:

Can I ask when you originally applied for this vacancy? Because I know that Vodafone have recently changed their application process/systems and it's caused a lot of problems.

If you've only recieved emails from an @alexmann.com email address, it means your application was one on the old outsourced system. If it's from a @vodafone.com it means it an in-house one (or the details have been passed over).

If it's an outsourced one, chances are the details haven't been passed over (because alexmann only do the admin side etc) and you'll need to speak Vodafone directly (something which has been eliminated by the in-house system).

If you call 0870 414 9020, they'll be able to give you details of your application directly and chase it up with whoever is dealing with it, at whatever stage.
Reply 12
WhereIsMyMind
Can I ask when you originally applied for this vacancy? Because I know that Vodafone have recently changed their application process/systems and it's caused a lot of problems.

If you've only recieved emails from an @alexmann.com email address, it means your application was one on the old outsourced system. If it's from a @vodafone.com it means it an in-house one (or the details have been passed over).

If it's an outsourced one, chances are the details haven't been passed over (because alexmann only do the admin side etc) and you'll need to speak Vodafone directly (something which has been eliminated by the in-house system).

If you call 0870 414 9020, they'll be able to give you details of your application directly and chase it up with whoever is dealing with it, at whatever stage.

It was @vodafone.co.uk.

I applied for the job on the 5th October, the closing date for applications was the 15th October and my telephone interview was on the 19th. I got told to ring back if I hadn't had a phone call back to arrange my face-to-face. I called back, left a voicemail message, called since then and all I get is voicemail.
Reply 13
hi everyone guy here i got my second fone interview with vodafone which i did not pass on here is one of the role playing test they give you i was reading on an other site they maybe three different role playing tests i only have one of them so i am going to give you all so that maybe you will pass on i am going to copy and paste it here. when you are on the fone he or she will say that they where on the fone earlier with a member of your team they where rude to him you should say that you are very sorry that they got that response and you will speak to your manager to investigate his complaint and make sure that this does not happen again vodafone say this to you to throw you off garde. this role playing test is about holiday packages you will understand it when i give it to you. Now you should ask them when they would like to go for example the times and dates they want to go on holiday you are trying to sell the managers monthly in store offer. he or she at vodafone will request that they want a (self catering) holiday 2 adults are £420 so that's £840 plus 2 kids both children are under 16 so that's £210 each at £420 if they accept that package go on to selling them the extras and at the end of the call make sure you say we can hold this offer for you for 24 hours to hope this helps you the guy a vodafone wasnt very nice to speak to

so here is one of the role playing test

Retail advisor role play- candidate brief

Background

As a Retail Advisor for Vodafone you are the face of our organisation which our customers will most often see and we will rely on you to represent us with the highest levels of customer service. We will look to you to exceed their expectations whilst always ensuring the maximum return on revenue. You will have the enthusiasm and ability to respond to customers’ needs and the awareness to be able to quickly spot sales opportunities.

Instructions

For the purpose of this exercise you are to imagine that you are in a Travel Sales Advisor role within a Travel Agency Happyhols. You have been provided with information about the products and services that you are able to offer to customers. This information is designed to assess the way in which you interact with the customer, provide excellent customer service whilst offering them the most appropriate products and services available. In addition, the exercise will evaluate how you identify and expand on sales opportunities suitable to the customer’s needs.

Please note the exercise is not testing your ability to learn new procedures and guidelines.

We strongly recommend that you spend a minimum of 20 minutes to read through the information provided. You may make notes if you wish.

The assessor will call you at the agreed time and they will check whether you have any questions. You will then have up to 15 minutes for the conversation with the customer. The assessor will play the part of the customer. It is important to treat the situation as realistically as possible and to behave the way you would within that situation.

You will be able to refer to these instructions and your notes throughout the role-play.

Once you have agreed with the assessor that you are ready to begin you should initiate the call as if you had picked up the phone to the customer who is calling.

Please note that the information that you are provided with is fictitious and is provided solely for the purpose of this assessment exercise.

Important guidelines:
As a Travel Sales Advisor the information below contains information of the different holiday packages that Happyhols offers. There are both Internet and In-Store offers, which you are able to sell.

Head Office suggests that advisors restrict the number of Internet packages you sell and as a team you will receive less bonus for these than the in-store offers. You cannot offer the £100 discount which is offered if you buy on the Internet.

Each month your store also has a “Managers Offer of the Month” which Head Office would like the advisors to focus efforts on selling, in order to reach its monthly target and increase the team bonus advisors will receive.

Please note that as a travel advisor you are able to 'hold' a holiday for up to 24 hours for a customer.

Please note that Table 1 provides you with a list of 'Extras' that can be sold to complement a customers holiday

Table 2 provides you with examples of pricing structures that you may find useful during your call with the customer

TABLE 1:

EXTRAS
These can be sold with the package to complement a customers holiday

Holiday Insurance cover for cancellations and medical cover for accidents while abroad Adult - £20 per person
Child - £10 per person
Pre-booking flight seats £ 5 per person
Express Check In guaranteeing immediate check-in on arrival up to 45 minutes before flight time £10 per person,
free for children 5 yrs and under
Transfers from airport to resort and resort to airport £30 each way (price based on party of up to 5 adults)
Discounts can be provided for in store packages off the final price only if they purchase an 'In-store Offer' and purchase at least one additional ‘Extra’ Up to £150

Please find to follow details of all of the packages currently available:

MANAGER’S IN-STORE OFFER OF THE MONTH

Gran canaria:Puerto Rica- Altermar Apartments
4 stars/Self Catering/7 nights
Leaving from: Heathrow
Flight times: Outward 28th July 2007 at 07:00, Return 4th August 2007 at 12:30

Terraced into the hillside above Puerto Rico, with breathtaking scenic views of the rural countryside, the Altamar is the ideal choice for couples and families in a well-planned complex with high standards. The award winning Puerto beach is accessible by a short ride away on a regular shuttle bus.

Shops, bars and nightlife of the Europa Centre are just 500metres away; and the award winning soft sand beach is 5Km away
Facilities:
Two swimming pools; pool bar; restaurant with buffet and a la carte menu (vegetarian meals available); on-site mini-market and launderette; lounge; 24 hour reception
Activities
2 pool tables; regular day and evening entertainment
Special Offers
Free entry to Aquaworld water park (located along Puerto beach) during month of July
Happy hour 2-4-1 on cocktails (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and local spirits

Accommodation
1 bedroom apartments (2-4 persons) have double bed, living area with sofa bed plus folding bed, air conditioning, TV (payable locally, coin operated), direct-dial telephone, breakfast bar, kitchenette with fridge and a small microwave oven, bathroom or shower room and balcony or terrace with sea view. Prices are based on Self Catering. Bed and Breakfast or Half Board available at supplment*
Price: Adult - £ 350
Child (under 16) - £125

2 bedroom apartments (2-5 persons) are also available and are as above but with 1 double bedroom, 1 twin bedroom plus fold up bed and with bath or shower room. Prices are based on Self Catering. Bed and Breakfast or Half Board available at a supplement* for guests on self catering.
Price: Adult - £ 420
Child (under 16) - £210

*Bed & Breakfast supplement = £20 per person per week, free for under 5’s
Half Board supplement = £80 per person per week, free for under 5’s

INTERNET BARGAIN

Gran Canaria:Playa Inglesia - Las Margaritas Hotel

4 stars/Bed & Breakfast/7 nights
Leaving from: Gatwick
Flight times: Outward 21st July 2007 at 22:40 - Return 28th July 2007 at 20:40

Modern and friendly, the Apart/Hotel Barcelo Las Margaritas offers exceptionally high standards of service in beautifully decorated surroundings. By day there is an exciting range of facilities and activities and with a full evening entertainment programme guests of all ages will be guaranteed an enjoyable stay.

1.5 km from beach and promenade (free shuttlebus operates);
300m to shops and restaurants; 50m to supermarket

Facilities
Circular pool surrounded by split-level sun terraces with palm trees; rooftop naturist terrace; sunloungers and parasols; large buffet restaurant; choice of bars including poolside bar, piano bar with TV and disco bar (over 18 yrs only); tropical gardens; TV room/conference room; souvenir shop

Rooms
Rooms have 2 or 3 beds, satellite TV, air conditioning, full bathroom with hairdryer and balcony or terrace. Prices are based on B&B. Half Board is available at a supplement*.

Holiday Highlights

Hotel-run kids' club - subject to availability. Priority given to Half or Full Board guests

Activities
Tennis courts; table tennis, water activities available at a supplementary cost
Entertainment programme

Prices
Adult - £ 450
Child (under 16) - £225

*Half board supplement = £100 per person (under 16’s free)

INSTORE OFFERS

Fuertaventura: Costa Cama- Cama self Catering Apartments
4 stars/Self Catering/7 nights
Leaving from: Stansted
Flight times: Outward 17th June 2007 at 14:30, Return 24th June 2007 at 09:00

An attractive complex situated in a prime beachside location. The good standard of accommodation coupled with excellent facilities will ensure a comfortable stay.

Overlooking the main sandy stretch of beach; 400m from shops, bars and restaurants

Facilities
Two pools; sunloungers; buffet restaurant; pool bar; snack bar and saloon bar; lounge with TV; internet facilities; 24hr reception, shops

Holiday Highlights
Free child place (under age of 5)
Reduced all inclusive price during peak season (July and August) of £150 per adult per week, £75 per child (under 16) per week

Activities
Tennis court; volleyball; table tennis; pool table; darts; gym; whirlpool; sauna; massage; full
daytime international entertainment programme six days a week, including a kids club for 16 and under. All Inclusive guests: All Inclusive features include all meals and drinks, free water sports and golf tuition

Rooms
1 bedroom apartments (2-4 adults) have separate twin bedroom, lounge area with sofa bed, air conditioning, satellite TV, telephone, kitchenette with fridge, toaster, coffeemaker and microwave,
hairdryer, full bathroom and balcony or terrace. Prices are based on 4 sharing on self catering.

Prices
Adult - £ 450
Child (5 - 16) - £225

Supplements as stated above

this is a table of the cost it wont display here properly but you will understand it when you get this file from vodafone hope this helps

TABLE 2 : Summary of prices for holiday packages available:

Package 1 adult price 2 adult price Child price(over 5 yrs)/ child price (under 5 yrs) 2 adults + 1 child (over 5 years old) 2 adults + 2 children (one under 5 yrs , one over 5 yrs)
Altamar Apartments
1 Bedroom £350 £700 £125 / £125 £825 £950
1 Bedroom, Bed & Breakfast £370 £740 £145 / £125 £885 £1010
1 Bedroom, Half Board £430 £860 £205 / £125 £1065 £1190
2 Bedroom £420 £840 £210 / £210 £1050 £1260
2 Bedroom, Bed & Breakfast £440 £880 £230 / £210 £1110 £1320
2 Bedroom, Half Board £500 £1000 £290 / £210 £1290 £1500
Las Margaritas
Standard B&B package £450 £900 £225 (under 16) £1125 £1350
Half Board £550 £1100 £225 £1325 £1550
Cama Apartments
Self Catering £450 £900 £225 / Free £1125 £1125
All inclusive £600 £1200 £300 / Free £1500 £1500
Hey Guys

I got a phone call today and was told that I've been chosen for a telephone interview, I was given 30mins to prep for this. I passed my telephone interview and now have been put through for the face to face interview.

I was told that I would be put on the shop floor straight away to see how I interact with the people who work there or customers.

Has anyone been to an interview with Vodafone recently and had to do this? If so please HELP me, I have he interview tomorrow and I'm kinda scared.

Thanks
Reply 15
Hi i have to do this tomorrow and was wondering whether you could tell me what happened or give any other advice?

Thanks

Original post by Barbie Da Buffie
Hey Guys

I got a phone call today and was told that I've been chosen for a telephone interview, I was given 30mins to prep for this. I passed my telephone interview and now have been put through for the face to face interview.

I was told that I would be put on the shop floor straight away to see how I interact with the people who work there or customers.

Has anyone been to an interview with Vodafone recently and had to do this? If so please HELP me, I have he interview tomorrow and I'm kinda scared.

Thanks
Reply 16
I have a telephone interview today in 2 hrs. I actually hate telephone interviews. Face to face im totally fine with. But on the phone I go to pot! any advise? I have researched the company to answer the question 'What do you know about Vodafone?' and also I know what to say to the question 'Why do you want to work for Vodafone?' But if you have any advise id be very grateful. :-)
Reply 17
Original post by bimble92
Hi i have to do this tomorrow and was wondering whether you could tell me what happened or give any other advice?

Thanks
hi there I have my interview face to face in 48 hrs have u any advice for me am very nervous , would really appreciate you input
Reply 18
hi there ,

have you got the job , how was the assessment day , as I am invited to one next week .

thanks in advance .
HI guys,
I have to do a video interview, can anyone tell me what quaetions are asked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending