The Student Room Group

Post graduate study in America

I am considering doing a postgraduate course in History at an American university but there are quite a few things I can't work out via the internet, so I'm hoping someone could offer some help here.

I think I understand the application process, I am in my second year of university now so have plenty of time to work it out. I understand it's a very long process so was thinking of waiting until I graduate, work for a year and during that time apply to American universities. Is this a terrible idea and is it better doing the applications in your third year alongside your final year exams?

Also, the websites I've been on differ about the length of course. My course would be an M.A. though I can't work out how many years that is for, as it seems to vary whether you opt to bump that up to a PHD.

Finally, are the courses modular or linear? It doesn't seem to be as clear cut as the English universities' system but I could be completely wrong.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I am planning to see my careers advisor at uni as well.
Well, first you need to take the GRE and do well on that.
Reply 2
Oreo7
I think I understand the application process, I am in my second year of university now so have plenty of time to work it out. I understand it's a very long process so was thinking of waiting until I graduate, work for a year and during that time apply to American universities. Is this a terrible idea and is it better doing the applications in your third year alongside your final year exams?

Either way works. Many students take a gap year, but others (like me) went directly from undergrad to grad.

Be aware that you'll need letters of recommendation, so if you do take a gap year, consider asking your professors to write provisional letters a year early.

Oreo7
Also, the websites I've been on differ about the length of course. My course would be an M.A. though I can't work out how many years that is for, as it seems to vary whether you opt to bump that up to a PHD.

It normally takes 2 years to get a MA.

Oreo7
Finally, are the courses modular or linear? It doesn't seem to be as clear cut as the English universities' system but I could be completely wrong.
All MA students take a full courseload during their first two semesters and usually their third. The fourth semester is usually devoted to a MA thesis or coursework, depending on the department. You are normally given some freedom in which courses (modules) you choose, but there will also be distribution requirements that you will have to fulfill (e.g. 1 course before 1500, 1 course after 1500, 1 historiography course, etc.).

Be aware that very few departments will admit students looking for a terminal MA, and even fewer will give them funding.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice! I've got a lot of research to do now. Can someone just clarify the difference between GRE and SAT exams please?
Oreo7
Thanks for the advice! I've got a lot of research to do now. Can someone just clarify the difference between GRE and SAT exams please?

GRE is the graduate equivalent.
Reply 5
devil09

Be aware that very few departments will admit students looking for a terminal MA, and even fewer will give them funding.

I think this will be one of your biggest problems. The university that I went to was PhD or nothing, and most of the best ones are like that. If you're not aiming for those top "headline-grabbing" names, then why is it that you're aiming to go to the US? Is it American history you're interested in, or something else that's best tackled over there? Doing the GREs is sort of expensive and time-consuming if you actually want to study for it, so that's something else to keep in mind when you're trying to figure out when the best time to do it is.
Reply 6
Thanks, I've been doing some research this afternoon and most of the courses are PHD. The reason I was hesitant about the two year course is because I wasn't sure whether it was better to start applying after graduation, so that I would have official documentation from my university and I'd have a year to work to support some of the costs. The universities I've been looking at are all on a high level, so obviously I'd want to have a lot to support my application. Of course, if it means getting a PHD at the end of two years I'm more than willing to do it.
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm looking into this 'just for the fun of it'. I am genuinely interested in doing a postgraduate course abroad but don't know much about it, which is why I am asking a lot of what are probably silly questions.

The universities I've been looking at are: Columbia, Virginia, Chicago, Brown and Georgetown. I understand they are in very high demand and was wondering if anyone else had any other american universities they'd recommend looking at.
Reply 7
Oreo7
Of course, if it means getting a PHD at the end of two years I'm more than willing to do it.

PhDs in history normally take at least 5 or 6 years. The very shortest you could possibly do, I think, would be 4 years -- and that would be in American history (i.e. no languages required) with an extensive background in the subject.

Oreo7
The universities I've been looking at are: Columbia, Virginia, Chicago, Brown and Georgetown. I understand they are in very high demand and was wondering if anyone else had any other american universities they'd recommend looking at.

Depends entirely on what you're looking for. Someone interested in African-American history would have a very different list of schools from someone interested in ancient history.
Reply 8
devil09
PhDs in history normally take at least 5 or 6 years. The very shortest you could possibly do, I think, would be 4 years -- and that would be in American history (i.e. no languages required) with an extensive background in the subject.

Wow I didn't realise it was that long, I'm sure I've read in a couple of sites that the course was three years maximum but I was obviously wrong :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Oreo7
Wow I didn't realise it was that long, I'm sure I've read in a couple of sites that the course was three years maximum but I was obviously wrong :s-smilie:

The graduate degree lengths are as follows:
Masters: Typically 2 years full-time.
Doctorate: Minimum of 3 years, if you completed a masters. Minimum of 4 years if you have not completed a masters.

If you're interested in the top universities, you will typically enter on a masters course; however, upon completion of your first year, you will either complete a terminal masters (thought this would not have been your goal) or you would move onto a PhD. The first year of graduate school usually has a few set requirement for courses, like a poster above mentioned as well as a teaching course that will prepare for a teaching assistantship (teach 1st and 2nd year undergrads).

On average, you can expect to spend 5-7 years working on a PhD. However, this will depend heavily on your research. In the US, you will be able to a post at a university when you are ABD (all but dissertation). Also, most PhD candidates are lecturing at their university whilst working on their dissertation. This provides on decent stipend for living. If you have the grades, they may give you an in-state tuition waiver. After that, a graduate or teaching assistantship with provide a stipend as well tuition. It will all vary by university.

What area of History are you interested in? American?
Reply 10
k1tsun3
If you're interested in the top universities, you will typically enter on a masters course; however, upon completion of your first year, you will either complete a terminal masters (thought this would not have been your goal) or you would move onto a PhD. The first year of graduate school usually has a few set requirement for courses, like a poster above mentioned as well as a teaching course that will prepare for a teaching assistantship (teach 1st and 2nd year undergrads).

Most of the universities I've looked had have specifically said on their website that they don't accept terminal masters applications anyway, only PHD/ doctorate ones. Is teaching a neccessary part of most degrees? I'm not sure if I'm a particularly good teacher...
American history is one of my favourite aspects of history (I am currently doing a module in Pre Columbian and Spanish America and another in American Historical Cinema which I am thoroughly enjoying) though my interests are quite wide and I have found postgrad courses that offer subfields in things I'm interested in.
Reply 11
Basically, when entering straight onto a PhD course, your first year would be similar to that of a first year master student. Teaching isn't necessary, but it does offer a substantial stipend. Many grad students pay for grad school this way as it offers partial-full tuition as well.
Reply 12
I've been thinking my options through and am still definitely interested in doing study in America, I'm seeing my careers advisor later today and think I have three options as I currently stand.

Graduate from Warwick, take a year out to work and apply to American universities in that year.

Start applying to American universities in my third year with the aim of doing a four year PHD course.

Go straight from completing my BA in History to an MA at Warwick, as one of the taught subjects is History of the race in America which looks very interesting. During this (one year course) I apply to American universities for a PHD degree, and would hopefully have a stronger statement as I already have a BA and am doing an MA at the time.

I'm thinking the last option would be the best as I'd be saving a fair bit of money by doing one year less in America working towards my final degree, but would still get to spend at least three years over there.
Oreo7
I've been thinking my options through and am still definitely interested in doing study in America, I'm seeing my careers advisor later today and think I have three options as I currently stand.

Graduate from Warwick, take a year out to work and apply to American universities in that year.

Start applying to American universities in my third year with the aim of doing a four year PHD course.

Go straight from completing my BA in History to an MA at Warwick, as one of the taught subjects is History of the race in America which looks very interesting. During this (one year course) I apply to American universities for a PHD degree, and would hopefully have a stronger statement as I already have a BA and am doing an MA at the time.

I'm thinking the last option would be the best as I'd be saving a fair bit of money by doing one year less in America working towards my final degree, but would still get to spend at least three years over there.

I agree, that sounds like the best plan.
Reply 14
Oreo7

I think might be the best option. It will show them you are very committed. Also, it should give you a better idea of what you want to research for your PhD. This will be a very important factor.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. I know it can be a daunting task.
Reply 15
Thank you, the third option is looking like the most likely at the moment. I've spoken to a careers advisor and my ideal career (museum curator or exhibition officer) requires a minimum of a masters degree so further study would be beneficial for me!

I've just been looking through Virginia University's History department and they seem to offer places for people coming in to do a masters, which would mean I wouldn't need to spend a fourth year studying in England, then you have the option of upgrading that to a doctorate at the end of the first year. I'm sure most universities don't offer this sort of thing so could someone please just read the description for 'masters requirements' and tell me if I've got it completely wrong! Thanks.

http://www.virginia.edu/history/graduate/rules

I've also found this course I'm really interested in at Washington university. It's a two year master's degree in Museology and pretty much looks like my ideal course! I'd just like to make sure again I'm not misreading things as I don't want to get over my head!
http://www.museum.washington.edu/museum/faq/
Reply 16
As for Virginia, they seek students going for a PhD only:
"The department normally does not admit applicants who seek only a terminal M.A. degree and do not intend to proceed to the Ph.D." - http://www.virginia.edu/history/graduate/admissions

Washington sounds like an excellent program, plus it's only 2 years. Since it's in the area you wish to work, it would be an ideal program. I would contact them if you're interested. It's a really good school as well in a beautiful location.

Latest

Trending

Trending